DE Capo vs Totem Model 1

infotrad

DE Capo vs Totem Model 1
« on: 5 Dec 2003, 10:57 pm »
Any comments about the Totem Model 1 vs the De Capo.

Fo comparison's sake, I would do the following comparison:

De Capo-i vs Model 1 Signature

De Capo vs Model 1 (not Signature)

Thanks,

Andre, Monreal, Canada     infotrad@yahoo.com

infotrad

DE Capo vs Totem Model 1
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2003, 10:58 pm »
Any comments out there about the Totem Model 1 vs the De Capo?

For comparison's sake, I would do the following comparison:

De Capo-i vs Model 1 Signature

De Capo vs Model 1 (not Signature)

Thanks,

Andre, Monreal, Canada infotrad@yahoo.com

Jonathan

DE Capo vs Totem Model 1
« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2003, 01:11 am »
When I bought my De Capos (non-i version), I auditioned Model Ones at the same time. I heard the Totems first; they sounded pretty good--decent detail, okay imaging. When we switched to the De Capos it took literally 5 seconds to hear that the De Capo was a WAY better speaker (I'm sure I had a dumb grin on my face). The De Capos are warmer, have much better bottom end, a wider soundstage, and are altogether more "musical" and listenable. And they don't sound like a bookshelf speaker compared to the Totems. To my ears there was NO comparison between te De Capos and the Totems.  

By the way, I have upgraded my tweeters and capicitors, but it have found the change to be relatively minor, at least so far.  Even the old version will kick butt on the Totems.

As usual, you may find otherwise...

Good luck.

Jon

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
Different amps, for one
« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2003, 08:05 am »
Interesting comparison. I owned the Model 1's (and auditioned the Signatures before deciding to buy the Merlin TSM-M's). My experience with the De Capo is limited to a single 30 minute listening session, so take that for what it's worth (though I have quite perceptive ears and a photographic memory).

Totem's cannot be run successfully with less than 50 watts tube power, and double that for solid state. Do not believe otherwise. They frankly do not reach their potential until coupled with a high power, high current amp, preferably solid state. Not very sensitive, and very demanding (sounds like an old girlfriend I dumped :) ). Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the year I spent running the Totems on a 35 wpc integrated tube amp, since I listened at night at very moderate levels and used a REL Strata 3 to round out the bottom. But you would NEVER use these with SET's like you can with the De Capo. And when I turned up the volume to rock out, the sound quickly compressed and became bright. Also, they need to breath, and 3-4 feet from the rear is about right; whereas the De Capo seems to do well against the rear wall during my audition.

The Totem still images with pinpoint accuracy, more than my Merlins and seemingly more than the De Capo's did in my audition. However, like nearly all speakers with metal dome tweeters, over time they can fatigue the ear. Bright recordings seem even more so, whereas the De Capo's had the same type of extended highs but are probably less fatiguing over time.  (The Merlins have NO fatigue, sound wonderfully natural, but may lack the ultimate extension in the highs).

Great soundstage and depth for both; the Totem's especially disappear nicely. Both have more bass than they have the right to, being so tiny and all. Both the De Capo and the Totem are ported, which lends better bass extension and more efficiency, but IMHO does not provide the level of detail and articulation that you get from a sealed box (this goes for subs too, IMHO).  You cannot biwire the Model 1 unless you find a version with biwire terminals, but you can biwire the Signature (and methinks the De Capo too).

Unless you are starting from scratch with your amp, I would not consider the two speakers as competitors. If you have less than 100 watts (or 30-60 watts of tube power or even a flea powered SET amp), I could not recommend the Totem as a long term keeper unless you upgrade your amp. Merlins, B&W CDM1's, Revel M20 (both power hungry too but not as bad) or something like a horn speaker or a Lowther based speaker may be more up your alley to compare with the DeCapo (the Merlins are easy to drive, but probably not SET compatible). A better comparison with the Totem would be Dynaudio 1.3 Contours, B&W N805's, and Thiel CS 1.6's, which like power/current and which are small and do different things well. I have also heard that the Tyler Minimonitors are worth a listen.

Jonathan

Re: Different amps, for one
« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2003, 03:37 pm »
Quote from: davehg
(though I have quite perceptive ears and a photographic memory).

Dave,
I don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but do I have a question (and please keep in mind that I intend absolutely NO disrespect at all by this--I'm merely curious). Having been a professional musician for over 35 years,  I have always prided myself on having very good ears. That being said, I certainly don't have what you referred to as a photographic memory (by the way, my perception of what this means is that you can remember everything you read and can recall it in your mind as if it were a photograph--please correct me if this is wrong).

My question is about how this gift (curse?) actually manifests itself in the aural realm. Can you remember everything that was ever spoken to you?  Or if you heard a book on tape, would you be able to recite the book back? And can you really clearly remember how things sound even after time has passed? If so, what a fabulous advantage for comparing audio equipment. One of my primary frustrations with auditioning gear (and I suspect this is most people's problem) is not being able to clearly remember what something sounded like, especially if any substantial length of time has passed.

Anyway, again, I'm sorry for sidetracking the thread.  I should say that I agree with your comments about the Totems being very revealing and detailed--to me, this would have led to too much fatigue over time (a problem I have had with other hi end speakers, but not with the De Capos).

Thanks,

Jon

rbs350z

Totem vs De Capos
« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2003, 04:20 pm »
I also did some comparisons between the Totem Model 1's, De Capos, Revel, Proac, joseph, aerial, and others and went with the bi-wire version totem model 1's. if driven properly (good powerfull amp with good source equipment), they are anything but fatiguing or harsh as Jonathan pointed out. (i am driving the model 1's with 200 watt monoblock amps).  I also don't find them compressed when turning up the volume.  Also, the standard model 1's are $900 cheaper than the De Capos, and in my opinion, sound better. for the same money, and save money on stands, i would also prefer the totem hawks or forest speakers over the De Capos.

Jonathan

Re: Totem vs De Capos
« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2003, 05:13 pm »
Quote from: rbs350z
if driven properly (good powerfull amp with good source equipment), they are anything but fatiguing or harsh as Jonathan pointed out. (i am driving the model 1's with 200 watt monoblock amps).  

Certainly possible. My only listening was with relatively low powered, inexpensive integrated amps (NAD 370, Cambridge Audio, and an Audio Analogue Puccini SE that I ended up buying along with the De Capos) and an inexpensive CD player that I have no recollection of.

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
Photographic memory
« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2003, 10:35 pm »
Hi Jonathan. I did not take your comments as harsh, rather an invitation to comment. So here goes:

I sold high end hifi in the mid 80's to early 90's, and spent a lot of time listening with customers, not to mention with my own systems. When you have that level of immersion with hifi, you easily recall the sound of particular pieces of gear, and since you are frequently changing things in and out, you get a real good sense of how each particular component audibly impacts a system. Selling hifi turns you into a great listener, and the immersion and frequency allows you to recall the sound of gear you spent time with. It also comes in handy when customers ask your opinion of gear you sell or have heard.

I can still recall the distinct sound of Krells powering Apogee Stages, the unique bass characteristics of the early Kinergetics Research gear (which I hear similarities with the REL gear I own), the warmth of the CAL Audio players, the syrupy sweetness and richness of the Conrad Johnson PV9, and the crispness of the later B&W 801's. I've come across this gear since hearing and selling it more than 10 years ago, and my memory of the sound matches what I've heard recently.  

As another example, I've also spent a lot of time around vintage autos. You never forget the distinct sound of a late 60's Shelby Mustang passing at 130 mph, an almost jet-like whistle sound caused by the massive air being forced into the manifold (hence the name Cobra Jet?); or the blatt-blatt like sound of an 912 series Porsche at full throttle, or the burble burble idle of a Ford GT 40. In my memory, I can recall these sounds as if I had just heard them, and when I visit the annual Vintage Auto races every June at Pacific Raceway, my ears are not surprised. I would enjoy the event if I were blind, just to hear those noises and know which cars they came from.

Granted, 30 minutes with the De Capo's, on gear I am not familiar with, does not lend itself to form a lasting judgement on how the De Capo's sound. But I do recall the sound quite clearly (it was only early November). I would like to spend more time with the DeCapo, and will likely take a few Circle members up on their invitation to visit and listen.

Since you have played for so long, do you have strong memories of the speficic instruments you have played? The characteristics of the halls or arenas you played? My grandfather was a vacuum tube engineer and a recording engineer, and he often talked about the "sound" of the various venues at which he recorded.

-Dave

MERLIN TSM-M on Target RS4 stands with a REL Strata III; VAC Avatar SE (with Cardas Caps); Technics DVD A10 feeding a MENSA DAC; Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun and Silver Reference cables, DIYCable AC cords, JR Filter.