Speaker impressions

Glenn Andre

Speaker impressions
« on: 9 Oct 2003, 12:09 am »
Anyone have any impressions of JM Labs 926 versus the De Cappo i?

cyounkman

Speaker impressions
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2003, 06:39 am »
Hi again. Oddly, someone just asked a question on the Toronto Audiophiles list re: the Electra 906 vs. the De Capo. I'll add the question and my response below.

I honestly don't remember if the one I've heard (a couple times, at dealers and at the Montreal show) was the 926 or the 936; but there seems to be a very close family sound, so I'm guessing it will apply anyway. The Electras I've heard are very refined; they have a sort of 'audiophile' sound that reminds me of musical fidelity in a way. This either will or won't float your boat; purely a preference thing. They strike me as being very well balanced: not outstanding in particular areas really; just good bass, good imaging, good integration, etc.

The main thing I remember is that they tend to come alive with a good bit more power than their nominal efficiency ratings would suggest (this is true of most speakers, I think). The De Capos' driveability, in my opinion, has as much to due with the lack of a crossover network as it does with the nominal 92 db rating, which is not really that high. (this is why I balk when the DC is called a 'high-efficiency speaker')

Anyway, here's the repsonse I sent to the Toronto Audiophiles list, which touches on the Electra 906 and continues, in my characteristically windy style, about the de capo i's.

Quote from: cy, in another forum,

To: "toronto-audiophiles@yahoogroups.com"
Subject: Re: Totem 1 vs JMlab Electra 906 / Reference 3A De Capo-i

Hi [...].

I'm somewhat familiar with the speakers you've mentioned. I've heard the Electra 906 a couple times, and it is a good-sounding speaker. It also seems to work well with medium-powered tubes (I heard it with the CJ MV-60). I've also heard most of the Totem line-up. They are beautifully manufactured, great to look at, and have a refined sound.

The problem you've identified ("trebly" sound) is indeed a tough one. A lot of  very good-sounding, well-designed small speakers are afflicted. Voicing the response of a small speaker is quite an art, and ultimately you just have to find one whose compromises (in terms of extension vs. dynamics vs. midrange magic, etc.) you like.

The cause of the trebly sound is simply an emphasis on the higer end of the spectrum--as a result of rolling of the bottom end. There are ways to compensate, like a 'bump' at 50hz that adds the impression of weightiness, a recessed midrange or a wideband rise in the upper bass... But ultimately it's a problem of physics as constrained by the current desire for small, narrow cabinets.

The De Capo is a bit anachronistic with respect to this trend. It is portly, almost as wide as deep; and uses a large (for this day and age) 8 1/4" main driver. The advantage to the design (without getting into the lack of a crossover on the main driver) is that it can reproduce instrumental fundamentals with reasonable authority down to the low 40's. The result is a small but important change in the overall 'tilt' of the FR curve such that orchestras and large instruments sound more correct, or fleshed-out, than they tend to on a typical monitor that pretty much gives up at 50hz.

You also get the dynamic capabilities of the larger driver--there's no substitute for moving air when the dynamics get macro--balanced with the greater mass that has to move in the midrange. This is mitigated by the lack of a crossover on that driver, so the amp runs the show (very precisely, if it's the right amp) without passive crossover components getting in the way.

Let's see: they also match well with subs (relatively...) because they have a smooth bottom-end roll-off; and they're *very* easy to drive: I had a *lot* of fun with Mr. Kim's (Song Audio) EL34B amp-- at a mighty _4_ watts...

Sorry to run on so long. If you want more on the De Capos, come see as at audiocircle (below). Suffice it to say, though, that many are happy with smaller speakers without the extra bass response. I think it just depends on your listening preferences. What do you listen to? What are your upstream components?

Regards,
Chris Younkman
Toronto

Moderator, Reference 3A Owners Circle http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=53

--- In toronto-audiophiles@yahoogroups.com, [...] wrote:

Does anyone know how the JMlab Electra 906 or the Reference 3A De Capo-i compares against the Totem Model 1 (not Signature). I have a pair of these Totems and I find that their sound in way too "trebly". I'm looking for speakers with as much resolution, but with a more balanced sound i.e., sound that is more evenly spread acrros the spectrum.

Any comments welcome