Spray Set-Up Questions

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Spray Set-Up Questions
« on: 3 Apr 2017, 07:55 pm »
How do you set-up/suspend speaker cabinets when you need to spray all six sides?

Once you have the cabinet(s) set-up, what procedure do you use to get all sides (including the bottom) covered evenly?

Mike

goskers

Re: Spray Set-Up Questions
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2017, 08:37 pm »
How about making an arm that would go on the inside of the cabinet through the woofer hole?

You can center the arm then block from the arm to the cabinet inside.  I would guess the production guys have a similar setup with the ability to spin the cabinet to allow easier access to surfaces. 

lacro

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2017, 08:38 pm »
How do you set-up/suspend speaker cabinets when you need to spray all six sides?

Once you have the cabinet(s) set-up, what procedure do you use to get all sides (including the bottom) covered evenly?

Mike

Mike,
What I did was insert a length of PVC pipe straight through the cabinet on the X-CS encore center. (that I haven't yet finished). The cabinet was suspended between 2 auto jack stands that were covered with plastic bags to keep the overspray off them. The cabinets were able to rotate during spraying, exposing all sides. It worked out well, but it depends on the cabinets whether it would work for your project.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2017, 08:54 pm »
How about making an arm that would go on the inside of the cabinet through the woofer hole?

You can center the arm then block from the arm to the cabinet inside.  I would guess the production guys have a similar setup with the ability to spin the cabinet to allow easier access to surfaces.

Anybody know if there is any such piece of equipment, especially if the cabinet does not have the ability to pass something all the way through?

Mike,
What I did was insert a length of PVC pipe straight through the cabinet on the X-CS encore center. (that I haven't yet finished). The cabinet was suspended between 2 auto jack stands that were covered with plastic bags to keep the overspray off them. The cabinets were able to rotate during spraying, exposing all sides. It worked out well, but it depends on the cabinets whether it would work for your project.

Larry,

I can see how that would work if the cabinet had openings on opposite sides. I could probably use the pass through method on N1Xs and X-LS Encores when using the same flared port tube as with the N1X.

Since I like to use tube connectors instead of binding post cups that cuts down on the cabinets the pass through method will work with.

What did you use as the gasket material around the pipe?

I'm getting ready do finish a pair of LGK 1.0s so no pass through here.

Mike

WireNut

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2017, 12:49 am »
One of these day's I need to finish my cabinets. What type of paint do you guy's use for a finish coat?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2017, 04:04 am »
One of these day's I need to finish my cabinets. What type of paint do you guy's use for a finish coat?

I'm getting ready to try the Target Coatings EM6000 water based lacquer Ed talked about for his NX-Otica MTMs and H-Frames

Mike

lacro

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2017, 12:38 pm »
Anybody know if there is any such piece of equipment, especially if the cabinet does not have the ability to pass something all the way through?

Larry,

I can see how that would work if the cabinet had openings on opposite sides. I could probably use the pass through method on N1Xs and X-LS Encores when using the same flared port tube as with the N1X.

Since I like to use tube connectors instead of binding post cups that cuts down on the cabinets the pass through method will work with.

What did you use as the gasket material around the pipe?

I'm getting ready do finish a pair of LGK 1.0s so no pass through here.

Mike

Mike,
The gaskets around the pipe are plastic yogurt cups with the bottoms cut out. Another method I used to facilitate painting of my Encores was using thread inserts on the cabinet bottoms. I would spray paint the bottom, then insert into the elevator bolts, flip the cabinet, and spray the rest of it. Also, I used the inserts to securely attach the finished speakers to the stands.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yogurt+greek&sa=X&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwi1rMzc5IrTAhXD5iYKHR_cC9oQiR4IwwE&biw=1163&bih=537#imgrc=5_hvwKtMnjW8QM:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Group-1-4-in-to-20-x-2-in-Zinc-Plated-Elevator-Bolt/3722664

Speakers attached to stands with screws into the inserts.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2017, 02:17 pm »
Larry,

The bolts are a good idea if inserts are used. I use them as stand offs when finishing towers. However on towers I dont veneer the bottoms, i use Dura-Tex. I apply the Dura-Tex to the bottoms before veneering.

I had thought about using painter's pyramids. Spray the bottoms, turn the cabinets over setting them on the pyramids then spray the rest of the cabinet. I have found those to leave points in the finish so am looking for alternatives.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2017, 04:50 pm »
Set the bottom on painters pyramids or a "lazy susan".  Spray the 5 sides that will show.  Do the bottom last (could even use rattle can for that.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2017, 08:12 pm »

This is what I did with book shelf speakers. I built an L shape out of a 2x4 that would fit inside the woofer hole, and sit center of the hole. I then fastened the long 2x4 of the L to a ladder so that it was at a height that allowed me to spray the bottom by crouching a bit and the top by standing on a single step stool. You just need to have room to get around the speaker. You could also make a lopsided T and screw the short side of the tee top to the inside of the box, this would secure it in place.