My NX-Oticas sucked...until today

Metfit77@gmail.com

My NX-Oticas sucked...until today
« on: 7 Mar 2024, 06:15 pm »
I have been playing my Nx-oticas for about 2 weeks now and I could figure out why my upgraded x-statiks were so much better than them (from memory). At first I thought burn in period...so I let them play. Then I started changing components...still kinda blah. I kept trying to think if something was different and I realized one thing was different. I was running Roon through my SOTM sms 200 ultra instead of directly from my PC (Xonar Essence STX sound card). Wow, either that streamer really sucks, or that sound card is truely remarkable. Running spdif to my arcam fmj d33 dac, the sound took a new life. dynamics, temotion, bass, instrument separation....it was all back.

drphoto

Re: My NX-Oticas sucked...until today
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2024, 08:46 pm »
Highly recommend getting a macmini for a music server. They have ultra quiet USB. Then run to quality DAC. Will be much better than a PC sound card....IMHO. I have an Audiolab dedicated CDT. I rip my CD's on a  $35 Apple superdrive to the mini, and going to my Bifrost Multibit DAC, I hear no difference in SQ between the $500 transport and the $145 mini. If this seems like something you might want to try, I got the computer from Backmarket.com

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2024, 03:08 am »
Highly recommend getting a macmini for a music server.

Is there a particular year Mac Mini that works well / better?

BrandonB

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2024, 04:08 am »
Is there a particular year Mac Mini that works well / better?

This is off the subject but did you get to go to GR Research?

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2024, 04:31 am »
That I don't know. There is entire circle here dedicated to this topic. Mine is a 1014. Not only does it work well for music.....it's an all around great little computer. I make no claim to being any expert on computer based audio.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2024, 02:13 pm »
I second his recommendation. I think mine is a 2014 model too. You can find them refurbished for under $200.

jmimac351

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2024, 02:35 pm »
This is off the subject but did you get to go to GR Research?

I did.  Danny just sat there and smiled at me... because he knew I knew I was going to end up giving him some more money...  :green:  the soundstage with these speakers is like an extension of the room you're in... and it's a big area you can see / hear into. 

I would have liked to have heard the NX-Otica and NX-Studio.  Danny made it clear there is not a ton of difference between them... assuming they are mated with subs.  If someone has the floorspace for NX-Otica, then you have floorspace for NX-Treme, but I expect you won't feel shortchanged either way.  I asked specifically about the differences between NX-Treme and Otica... he mentioned just overall height, but that they sound pretty much the same.  I got up and walked around the room a bit.  Sitting there listening to the NX-Treme and looking at the Otica, the Otica are not a "small / short" speaker.  I suspect they provide plenty of image height. 

Bottom line, I don't know that you "must" do the NX-Treme to have world class sound... but there is this - when the NX-Treme speakers were playing, Danny mentioned looking at the woofers.  So I walked up next to them and looked down the side profile of the drivers.  They were barely moving. 

Since the work was being spread out among many drivers, the sound and dynamics from the NX-Treme was absolutely effortless. I don't know how you substitute for that, but that doesn't mean world class sound can't happen without it.

mkrawcz

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2024, 02:58 pm »
I see someone is playing around with a pair of class d monoblocks in the bottom left.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2024, 05:14 pm »
Re: the NX-Otica and the NX-Treme, it depends on your room.  If you have very large room then the NX-Treme is the best choice.  In any other room, the NX-Oticas will fit and sound better.

As you mentioned the NX-Otica is not a small speaker.  In fact, it's big.  When you sit down the tweeter is above ear level so they have excellent image height. 

BrandonB

« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2024, 06:12 pm »
I did.  Danny just sat there and smiled at me... because he knew I knew I was going to end up giving him some more money...  :green:  the soundstage with these speakers is like an extension of the room you're in... and it's a big area you can see / hear into. 

What did you end up purchasing?  Does Danny have triple OB Subs or Double.  I don't remember.

jmimac351

« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2024, 06:29 pm »
What did you end up purchasing?  Does Danny have triple OB Subs or Double.  I don't remember.

Recently I bought an old NX-MTM flatpack that I will start playing with.  I need to make a few mods to it as it was one of the very first ones.  I will play with that, along with my subs... see how it goes. 

Danny's subs are the Triples.  His room is not small and it was plenty of bass. The bass was deep and tuneful.

I was in town for a track event in Decatur at Eagles Canyon Raceway.  Besides listening to his speakers, the other reason for the visit was to watch him do the crossover for my Merlin Music VSM speakers.  That was VERY interesting to watch! I'm pretty sure in 100 years I could figure out how to do it.  :lol:

« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2024, 08:45 pm by jmimac351 »

BrandonB

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2024, 08:12 pm »
Recently I bought an old NX-MTM flatpack that I will start playing with.  I need to make a few mods to it as it was one of the very first ones.  I will play with that, along with my subs... see how it goes. 

I think the subs in Danny's room are the Double.  His room is not small and it was plenty of bass. The bass was deep and tuneful.

I was in town for a track event in Decatur at Eagles Canyon Raceway.  Besides listening to his speakers, the other reason for the visit was to watch him do the crossover for my Merlin Music VSM speakers.  That was VERY interesting to watch! I'm pretty sure in 100 years I could figure out how to do it.  :lol:

That sounds you had a good time cars and speakers. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 8 Mar 2024, 08:23 pm »
Danny's subs are Triples  :wink:

Glady86

« Reply #13 on: 8 Mar 2024, 11:19 pm »
 What’s the most common Toe in angle NX speaker owners prefer? Mine are almost straight ahead, but I feel I should remove the footers and do some more experimenting. They sound very good, but what should I listen for when tinkering with toe in?

jmimac351

« Reply #14 on: 8 Mar 2024, 11:33 pm »
What’s the most common Toe in angle NX speaker owners prefer? Mine are almost straight ahead, but I feel I should remove the footers and do some more experimenting. They sound very good, but what should I listen for when tinkering with toe in?

Every speaker I own, I very commonly will set them up 10 degrees off axis.  I use a wooden angle tool that came with my Merlin VSMs... as they are recommended to listen at 10 degrees off-axis (although, everything I thought I knew about that speaker is under review).  My Wilson Audio Duette speakers... there was some tweeter ripple from the front foam / baffle which the measurements showed smooths out 10 degrees off-axis.  If you do look at the horizontal measurements for the NX stuff, it also looks happy at 10 degrees off-axis.  I could be wrong, but it appears the response is smoother at 10 degrees off-axis. 

I use the wooden angle tool along with a laser pointer.  I put a target on my seating position and aim the laser at the target. I couple that with measuring speaker distance to the front wall.  There is no eyeballing or guesswork.  That's how I do it, and I can repeat it every time. 

Glady86

« Reply #15 on: 9 Mar 2024, 12:08 am »
Every speaker I own, I very commonly will set them up 10 degrees off axis.  I use a wooden angle tool that came with my Merlin VSMs... as they are recommended to listen at 10 degrees off-axis (although, everything I thought I knew about that speaker is under review).  My Wilson Audio Duette speakers... there was some tweeter ripple from the front foam / baffle which the measurements showed smooths out 10 degrees off-axis.  If you do look at the horizontal measurements for the NX stuff, it also looks happy at 10 degrees off-axis.  I could be wrong, but it appears the response is smoother at 10 degrees off-axis. 

I use the wooden angle tool along with a laser pointer.  I put a target on my seating position and aim the laser at the target. I couple that with measuring speaker distance to the front wall.  There is no eyeballing or guesswork.  That's how I do it, and I can repeat it every time.

Thanks! I have them set at about 10 to 12 degrees. From the listening position, they look almost pointing straight out. All the pictures of NX speakers set ups I’ve seen look to have more Toe in than that.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 9 Mar 2024, 12:14 am »
I find my NX Speakers sound best when pointed to the outside of my shoulders.  Sometimes slightly less than that, but never more. 

Glady86

« Reply #17 on: 9 Mar 2024, 12:30 am »
I find my NX Speakers sound best when pointed to the outside of my shoulders.  Sometimes slightly less than that, but never more.
I’ll try that. That would be angled a lot more than they are now.