SVS Micro vs OB Subs w/ Planar

gammi

SVS Micro vs OB Subs w/ Planar
« on: 1 Feb 2024, 06:31 pm »
Hi all, I have a set of Magnepan LRS+ that I'm looking to add a sub to.

I was looking at open baffle subs in order to pair dipole with dipole but then the SVS 3000 Micro caught my eye.
It is a "sealed" sub but because it has two woofers firing opposite each other, there is no cabinet pressurization, just like open baffle.

This should effectively function as a dipole, correct? Or am I missing something? Seems to me it's functionally the same as open baffle.
Main reason I'm considering the SVS is its size/weight. Sooo much easier to move around and place in the room when it's a tiny 23lbs cube instead of the 120lbs double trouble DIY OB setup.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and the SVS is not a good paring for planars for some reason. Thanks!

ketchup

Re: SVS Micro vs OB Subs w/ Planar
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2024, 07:18 pm »
With a Maggie, the back wave is 180 degrees out of phase.  I'm not positive about this, but I doubt the SVS sub works like that.

2oldcranks

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2024, 09:15 pm »
in a SMALL room at MODERATE level the LITTLE  SVS is a OK choice if your really gonna move it around alot and take it on a date once in a while :D
Put castors on the OB sub cabs, then laugh at the cute little SVS mid bass box :thumb:

if you have the means and space OB all day

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2024, 10:32 pm »
You will never regret buying quality.

gammi

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2024, 10:33 pm »
With a Maggie, the back wave is 180 degrees out of phase.  I'm not positive about this, but I doubt the SVS sub works like that.

I'm pretty sure that's how the SVS works, when one side is moving out, the other side is moving in, 180 degrees out of phase.
The cabinet is never pressurized because of this, making it effectively "open baffle" because there's no cabinet effect.

I've attached a picture from the SVS page which seems to indicate this is the case.

You will never regret buying quality.

Indeed. But SVS is one of the most reputable subwoofer brands in the space, and reviews for the Micro all unanimously praise it.
So I don't think quality is the concern here. More a question of what is missing (if anything) in the opposing driver configuration vs open baffle.
Since they both fire a wave front and back and have no cabinet pressure, they should be similar.

Is there anything different between those two approaches or do they achieve the same dipole result? Seems to me they are both dipole.
Other than that, differences are GR is servo driven and has more driver area, but SVS has lighter drivers, better DSP, more power and I believe more excursion.

Also it's easy for me to add a second SVS down the road. I highly doubt I will be adding a second giant 130lbs Double Trouble. If GR Research made an single driver open baffle, that would be excellent, I would get two of those. But alas their singles are sealed. I suppose I could just cut open the cabinet...

NOTE:
I should have added up front, I already have an SVS 3000 Micro, have tried it with my LRS+ and it's amazing. I can't locate the sub when I close my eyes, there's just the music. I also turned the sub off and on while playing and it's incredible just how much better a sub makes the LRS+. There's just so much body lost when I turn the sub off, these really benefit from the extra help down low. I am considering moving the SVS to my home theater setup and getting a Double Trouble for the LRS+ though, hence the question. While the SVS sounds excellent, I question if there's an extra little bit I'm missing out on.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2024, 11:24 pm »
The SVS drivers are in phase, they move out and in together otherwise there would be cancellation and the two 8 inch drivers wouldn't perform like an 11 inch driver.
The highlighted section references mechanical energy transferred to the cabinet by movement of the drivers, both of the drivers push on the cabinet and pull on the cabinet.

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2024, 12:40 am »
I'm pretty sure that's how the SVS works, when one side is moving out, the other side is moving in, 180 degrees out of phase.
The cabinet is never pressurized because of this, making it effectively "open baffle" because there's no cabinet effect.

I've attached a picture from the SVS page which seems to indicate this is the case.

Indeed. But SVS is one of the most reputable subwoofer brands in the space, and reviews for the Micro all unanimously praise it.
So I don't think quality is the concern here. More a question of what is missing (if anything) in the opposing driver configuration vs open baffle.
Since they both fire a wave front and back and have no cabinet pressure, they should be similar.

Is there anything different between those two approaches or do they achieve the same dipole result? Seems to me they are both dipole.
Other than that, differences are GR is servo driven and has more driver area, but SVS has lighter drivers, better DSP, more power and I believe more excursion.

Also it's easy for me to add a second SVS down the road. I highly doubt I will be adding a second giant 130lbs Double Trouble. If GR Research made an single driver open baffle, that would be excellent, I would get two of those. But alas their singles are sealed. I suppose I could just cut open the cabinet...

NOTE:
I should have added up front, I already have an SVS 3000 Micro, have tried it with my LRS+ and it's amazing. I can't locate the sub when I close my eyes, there's just the music. I also turned the sub off and on while playing and it's incredible just how much better a sub makes the LRS+. There's just so much body lost when I turn the sub off, these really benefit from the extra help down low. I am considering moving the SVS to my home theater setup and getting a Double Trouble for the LRS+ though, hence the question. While the SVS sounds excellent, I question if there's an extra little bit I'm missing out on.

As opnly bafld indicated, The SVS drivers do not behave as you described.  It is a “bipole” design, whereas the OB sub is a “dipole” design.  As indicated in the SVS document you referenced, the bipole design keeps the cabinet from moving back and forth (there certainly IS pressure being created inside the cabinet).

gammi

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2024, 12:51 am »
That's the info I was hoping to get, it appears I am not getting the benefits of dipole with this. Thanks guys.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2024, 01:24 am »
it appears I am not getting the benefits of dipole with this.

What are the benefits of dipole with bass?  :scratch:

gammi

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2024, 03:16 am »
What are the benefits of dipole with bass?  :scratch:

My understanding is dipole subwoofers are a better pairing for Magnepans since Magnepans are dipole themselves.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2024, 01:05 pm »
No box is probably the key (although a number of box subwoofer owners with Magnepans would disagree).

Open up your SVS and reverse the + and - on 1 driver to make it dipole and see if you think it is better.

If you like yours enjoy it and perhaps add another when you can.  8)