Magnarisers, Mye stands, Magnepan stands, or tv stands for LRS+

timind

• permanent vacation
I recently bought a pair of LRS+ speakers from a local guy and so far am liking them quite a bit. Years ago I owned a pair of MG12qr with Mye stands, and to be honest, preferred them on the standard Magnepan stands. That said, I'm thinking of seeing how the LRS+ sound on a pair of after market stands.

The after market stands for Maggies seem outrageously priced for what they are. So I went looking, and found some inexpensive TV stands made from heavy gauge steel, and rated to hold up to 88 lbs. Would any of you experienced Magnepan guys have an opinion on these?

The stands pictured above will cost me $44. Not sure I want to pay $275 for a pair stands I may not use, but I can manage $44 to find out. 
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2023, 01:14 am by timind »

Saturn94

I saw a post somewhere (don’t remember where) where someone successfully used stands like you pictured.  If I come across it again I’ll post a link.

Edit:  Ah, found it!

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/alternative-stands-for-magnepan-lrs.42214/
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2023, 05:07 am by Saturn94 »

timind

• permanent vacation
I saw a post somewhere (don’t remember where) where someone successfully used stands like you pictured.  If I cone across it again I’ll post a link.

Thanks.
edit: That's where I got the idea. That poster though, is in the Netherlands.

Saturn94

Thanks.
edit: That's where I got the idea. That poster though, is in the Netherlands.

At the low $44 price you mentioned, I’d say give it a try.  IMO, just the fact they would raise and stand the LRS+ upright should improve performance.

jjss49

those who are handy, creative and resourceful can often diy something that has been commercialized by someone else and sold for a profit, and save $$ - but this only worth it if one's time is not better employed doing something more worthwhile

the key idea with any proper maggie stand is to make sure the speakers stand exactly vertical (not leaned forward or back) and raised to a height where the speaker is vertically centered onto the listener seating position

dolsey01

I posted the stands I bought for my LRS on FB groups, Link on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLSM4KHB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I'm very happy with what I bought.  They seem like they were made for the LRS.  The only issue was I needed longer screws so 8 X 2" 10-24 machine screws at the ol' Ace Hardware.

You will also need to use all the washers provided in the hardware kit to keep the screws the correct length.

If you have carpet, I believe they are sturdy enough that you could drill and tap a 1/4-20 hole for some spikes.

« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2023, 12:43 am by dolsey01 »

timind

• permanent vacation
those who are handy, creative and resourceful can often diy something that has been commercialized by someone else and sold for a profit, and save $$ - but this only worth it if one's time is not better employed doing something more worthwhile

the key idea with any proper maggie stand is to make sure the speakers stand exactly vertical (not leaned forward or back) and raised to a height where the speaker is vertically centered onto the listener seating position

I'm a diehard DIY guy, and considered building something. When I looked at the price ($45) of these stands though, it seemed like a no-brainer.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
For the price, give them a shot.
I do know the Magna Risers do more than just raise the speaker up - I tried that with the stock stands before I did anything else.
It raised the soundstage up but that's all it did.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
These both look like great inexpensive alternatives to the high priced spread.  But one of the features of a different Maggie stand, the Mye Stand, is adding to the stability of the frame by attaching much higher on the frame.  It looks like these TV stands have extensions that have been removed for Maggie use.  Any thought to drilling another hole or two and using the extensions to help with the flimsy Maggie frame?

dolsey01

These both look like great inexpensive alternatives to the high priced spread.  But one of the features of a different Maggie stand, the Mye Stand, is adding to the stability of the frame by attaching much higher on the frame.  It looks like these TV stands have extensions that have been removed for Maggie use.  Any thought to drilling another hole or two and using the extensions to help with the flimsy Maggie frame?

The ones I posted did come with extensions and I don’t think drilling any holes would be necessary, I just choose to go with the lowest height, my basement ceiling is only 7ft.  At least with smaller MMG/LRS/.7

timind

• permanent vacation
I received the stands through Amazon and mounted the speakers. First impressions are good with the speakers vertical and 2 inches off the ground. As they're adjustable, I may raise the speakers up just a bit. Surprises me after my experience the the MG12s I had.

These particular stands are a bit flimsy, but at $45, I guess I got what I paid for. I may look into some Magna Risers at some point.

BikeFi10

Built these stands for 1.7i s for about $40.00 ea. Lucky to have a friend make bends in metal shop. Not 100% anti sway because their so tall, but Maybe 75% better than original stands.
I found a sound improvement with a forward lean. I put shims under back end of bases. Maybe that reduced ceiling reflections
Sorry about sideways.

gary7

Bought these off ebay for my recently acquired MMGs. About $50 shipped.

gary7

I posted the stands I bought for my LRS on FB groups, Link on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLSM4KHB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I'm very happy with what I bought.  They seem like they were made for the LRS.  The only issue was I needed longer screws so 8 X 2" 10-24 machine screws at the ol' Ace Hardware.

You will also need to use all the washers provided in the hardware kit to keep the screws the correct length.

If you have carpet, I believe they are sturdy enough that you could drill and tap a 1/4-20 hole for some spikes.

Those look nice, like you said, made for them. If I don't like mine, going to set them up this weekend, I'll order those.

gary7

Finally put the stands on. Will finish arranging this weekend.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Installed the Magna Risers on my MG10/QR's that I am converting to DSP crossover.