upgrades

cjng74

upgrades
« on: 19 Jan 2008, 04:47 am »
Hi Nich,

saw you have built amp and DAC with different type of capacitor (v-cap, M-cap, Philips and etc).
would you mind to share the characteristic of those caps and what will be a better upgrade from one to another? i think most of us like to do small diy.  :drool:
thanks.

tanchiro58

Re: upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2008, 08:23 am »
I have a Promitheus DAC and Apollo preamp with C-cores OPT and have tried to bypass the opamps in the DAC with Mundorf 0.1 mF Silver/Oil. IMO I did not really like the sound until I got the Burson Audio Opamps to replace the stock opamps. The DAC is now soundind much better than before. However, I really prefer Mundorf Silver/Oil in bypassing to the input tubes (6922s) of Apollo preamp over the V-cap Teflon 0.022mF. It is more full sounding and has smooth high and sweet midrange with Mundorf than V-cap. I also tried Auricap 0.22mF but did not like them in this situation.

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2008, 10:36 am »
Here is what i find from my experience, will update as i compose them better

Philips- Warm and full sounding. Details are there but not in your face.
V-caps- Detail, analytical great for extending highs and bass. Can be a fatiguing. Have to be careful where they are used.
Mundoft tubecap- Fast analytical, decent body, quiet, no metailic sheen . Great power supply cap, my personal fav for power supply
Solen Caps for Power supply - Fastest cap, metalic sounding. Thin sounding. Must be bypass with oil caps when used together

Honestly i am not a good person to ask regarding coupling caps because all our amps are made with interstage transformer. So my opinoins are normally for power supply and bypass

cjng74

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2008, 01:52 pm »
Nich,

actually for bypass and power cap, how do we choose the capacitance value? any theory that you can share? thanks.

analogmart

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2008, 01:30 pm »
Hi Cjng74, Nick
I would like to add Obbligato Cap for your consideration, very value cap on the market today.
You can read group test report from this link:
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html  :thumb:

Mart