Preamp recommendations for a Nakamichi PA 5 amp

Thom_P

Preamp recommendations for a Nakamichi PA 5 amp
« on: 6 Jan 2022, 10:52 am »
I am moving from integrated to separated. I just purchased a Nakamichi PA 5 amp. I am in need of a good preamp. I am thinking tubes and leaning toward a Schitt Freya plus. I am looking for good separation and a wide soundstage. Any recommendations from the group?

mick wolfe

Re: Preamp recommendations for a Nakamichi PA 5 amp
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2022, 05:32 pm »
The Freya+ is certainly worthy candidate and they do offer 15 day audition period with return option. Really the only way to find out if it works for you and the PA 5. Also, considering the age of the PA 5, you might want to update the caps if this hasn't been done already.

Philip J Fry

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2022, 05:35 pm »
Take a look at the Audio by van Alstine products.

toocool4

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2022, 10:11 pm »
How about matching it with a Nakamichi CA-5 pre?

rotarius

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2022, 11:44 pm »
Freya should be decent.  It seems to be the flavor of the month.  You should have no problem reselling it if does not suit your taste. I have tried a few Schiit products and they are good just not good enough to hold on to long term.  I would look for a used Cary, CJ, Rogue, something like that. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2022, 12:02 am »
I am moving from integrated to separated. I just purchased a Nakamichi PA 5 amp. I am in need of a good preamp. I am thinking tubes and leaning toward a Schitt Freya plus. I am looking for good separation and a wide soundstage. Any recommendations from the group?
Hi,
The Starting Block Circle is really for people to introduce themselves.
This question/thread is best posted in the Solid State Circle, so I wll move it there for you now.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2022, 12:58 pm »
Tried original Freya, in all modes even with expensive NOS tubes.  Did nothing for me (made no difference).  It even blew one of those NOS tubes.  Sent it back.

TEA FOR ONE

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2022, 01:02 am »
I highly recommend Aric Audio. No affiliation,just a very happy customer.  I currently run two of his tube preamps. Stellar sound,and hand made. Incredible soundstage!  http://aricaudio.com/