Audio from TV using eARC

runpaulrun

Audio from TV using eARC
« on: 28 Nov 2021, 05:53 pm »
Hi all.  New AudioCircle member here.  I am planning a new, upgraded (living room) HT system.  My current 5.1 system uses the Audio Return Channel to stream audio from the Roku television to the receiver.  It also enables CEC to control the HT receiver with the TV remote.  The current receiver (Pioneer VSX-33) is 11+ years old so can't be controlled with a phone app.  ARC with the Roku TV is very handy and family friendly.

I'd really like to keep this arrangement (still 5.1) in the new system with eARC.  All the electronics (receiver, amps, streamer) will be placed remotely.  So I have some questions:

- With eARC are the TV electronics (preamp, amp, DAC) involved in any way with the audio?
  - Does the eARC connection compress the 5.1 signal or does it just pass the raw audio digital signal back to the receiver?
  - Is it better to not use eARC and Roku in the TV, and just use Apple TV (for example) connected to the receiver input (with HDMI out to the TV) to stream music and video?

Additional suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Paul

PS: Sorry if this has been covered in other threads.  As a new member I don't have search rights yet.

Doublej

Re: Audio from TV using eARC
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2021, 11:19 pm »
This Pioneer? https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/VSX-33.pdf

The cut sheet says it can be controlled with an app:

› iControlAV App for control of receiver with iPhone/iPod Touch
(available for download in the Apple App Store)

runpaulrun

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2021, 11:46 am »
Thanks for the reply.  I hadn't noticed that on the cut sheet.

Actually I've been working on that.  Pioneer has several apps (iPhone) and neither seems to work.  The app will see and identify the VSX-33 but not connect.  Also, neither app actually lists VSX-33.

I will go back and try harder with the app listed on the cut sheet (that one is still available).

Thanks again.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2021, 01:11 pm »
You may find the AVSForum owners' thread on your Pioneer model helpful.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/pioneer-elite-vsx-32-33-owners-thread.1279647/

runpaulrun

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2021, 05:03 pm »
I was able to get an iPhone app to work but had to use an old iPhone 5.  It is just basic controls: on/off, input select, volume.  It doesn't appear to be able to access the menu for mcacc etc.

There are two Pioneer AV control apps.  The new one (iControl AV5) isn't compatible with the VSX-33 and an old one (IControl) that isn't compatible with iOS 15.  I had an old iPhone 5 that loaded iControl and works with the receiver.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2021, 09:32 pm »
As is the case with ARC, you’ll need two devices with compatible HDMI eARC sockets for the protocol to work. While a device doesn't specifically have to be HDMI 2.1-certified, HDMI 2.1 certification does just about guarantee eARC support.

Your 11 year old Pioneer VSX-33 definitely doesn't have eARC. LG was the first manufacturer to go all-in with the new standard producing the first 4K TVs to sport HDMI 2.1 ports in 2019.

eARC does not compress the signal but both the sending and receiving units have to have eARC HDMI 2.1 ports.

Depending how you connect your components, going from the TV to the receiver - both need to have eARC HDMI 2.1 ports. I see shopping in your future.

HDMI ARC and HDMI eARC: everything you need to know
https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

runpaulrun

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2021, 11:43 am »
Shopping indeed.  TV, receiver, speakers, some room treatments.  Only things that will remain are the rear built in speakers and an Emotiva amp.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2021, 04:18 pm »
I simply go from the Digital Output optical port on my big LG smart TV to an optical input on our new Digital Preamp feeding two M225 amplifiers and a pair of Salk HT2 TL speakers.

Awesome sound on many uTube music channels.

Frank

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2021, 10:06 pm »
Shopping indeed.  TV....

A friend just got a 65" Samsung TU700D Crystal UHD TV, about $550 at Best Buy. The Crystal line is Samsung's entry-level LCD LED TV.
I suggest going farther up in their product lineup. The picture is sharp and clear but still looks like a garish LED TV compared to my 60" Panasonic plasma. I have never watched an OLED TV, Samsung doesn't make one yet.