Replicate the Line Source series of speakers

mkrawcz

Re: Replicate the Line Source series of speakers
« Reply #60 on: 13 Nov 2021, 11:32 pm »
Is Danny still planning on building a new line source speaker kit?
Last I heard, not a kit but a limited production completed speaker.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #61 on: 14 Nov 2021, 12:51 am »
He's worked with his manufacturers to create a replacement for the BG Neo 3 tweeter.  Eventually he'll get a replacement for the Neo 8 or Neo10.  I'd bet a whole new line will follow.  There are just so many things the true line source does right. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #62 on: 14 Nov 2021, 04:32 am »
Is Danny still planning on building a new line source speaker kit?

He's currently working with a manufacturer to develop a larger driver to replace the BG Neo10 that will also play a bit lower.

We alre also waiting on some cabinets so we can test the GRS "Neo10" clones in the Line Force chassis for a customer who sent a bunch of them to us. It will likely require some changes to the original crossover, but it should be a respectable alternative for the meantime.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #63 on: 14 Nov 2021, 04:58 am »
He's currently working with a manufacturer to develop a larger driver to replace the BG Neo10 that will also play a bit lower.

We alre also waiting on some cabinets so we can test the GRS "Neo10" clones in the Line Force chassis for a customer who sent a bunch of them to us. It will likely require some changes to the original crossover, but it should be a respectable alternative for the meantime.
:bounce: :dance:

Keeping fingers crossed that a Neo-10 replacement can be sourced.

Mike 1960

« Reply #64 on: 14 Nov 2021, 07:19 pm »
To get the lines of drivers to match in sensitivity and impedance required custom drivers to have to be made for that application. Driver design is typically a little beyond the know how and resources for most people.
Hi guys. Just having a few pops after having the grand kids for the wkend. They have far more energy than we do.
Thought I would go back and look through all the posts while I'm chillin. I've had some realizations from reading that some people are those that say don't even try, don't bother...
Others are on the other hand are positive. I got some pm's promoting my interest or quest.
I chose this input from Danny to 'quote' for a reason. The first line. (To get the lines of drivers to match in sensitivity and impedance required custom drivers to have to be made for that application.) So I have been thinking about that. I have 12 of the knock off neo 8s already. So, to start off with I thought an Ls 4. Easier to match impedance at least I think so.
Haven't decided on woofers. But size, how many will deicide if 4-6-8 ohm drivers are needed right.
 Cheers..

Danny Richie

« Reply #65 on: 15 Nov 2021, 02:28 pm »
Using four Neo 8's doesn't work out real well. The vertical range is too limited and it puts you in the near field/far field transition range. It takes at least six to make it work.

Mike 1960

« Reply #66 on: 15 Nov 2021, 09:04 pm »
Using four Neo 8's doesn't work out real well. The vertical range is too limited and it puts you in the near field/far field transition range. It takes at least six to make it work.

O crap. I should have expected that. I thought at sitting height it would be fine.

Mike 1960

« Reply #67 on: 15 Nov 2021, 09:35 pm »
Damn I'm trying. Maybe to hard I guess. I don't know what to say anymore.!

Danny Richie

« Reply #68 on: 19 Nov 2021, 02:21 pm »
Keep an eye out for a used pair of LS-6's or LS-9's.

Mike 1960

« Reply #69 on: 26 Nov 2021, 09:26 pm »
Mike - line arrays are basically the hardest speakers to make. They have a huge amount of math and design needed to make them work because they are not just a couple cones, they are cones acting in super weird interaction with each other. Coming on a forum and asking for help with it is a high challenge. It would be like going on a forum for people who make kit cars and asking for help making a helicopter. Folks get the mechanics and can kinda point you in the right direction, but it is jumping in deep and you can't expect people to help you through that.

Making helicopters. I get it. But that is the challenge, the fun of this hobby. If I can't try to further my projects then why bother.

I actually took my last speakers apart and burned them in the fire pit so I would move on to my next best system, speaker...

Mike 1960

« Reply #70 on: 26 Nov 2021, 09:39 pm »
Keep an eye out for a used pair of LS-6's or LS-9's.

I would prefer to build my own LS6. If your watching Richie, then I would like to know how you handled the rear cabinet behind the Neo 8s.
Thanks of course.

Danny Richie

« Reply #71 on: 28 Nov 2021, 01:51 pm »
I would prefer to build my own LS6. If your watching Richie, then I would like to know how you handled the rear cabinet behind the Neo 8s.
Thanks of course.

For that one I had to design woofers with low sensitivity (83 to 84db) and low impedance (3 ohms). The woofers were wired in two groups of four.

The air space for the tweeters was the width of the tweeters and about 4 inches deep.

S Clark

« Reply #72 on: 28 Nov 2021, 05:24 pm »
Thanks of course.
We know what you are trying to do, but it's just not a project with a likely outcome of success for an amateur. 
Danny didn't come up with these designs overnight.  He does this for a living, with a huge investment of his time and resources.
If you want to build your own, great.  Do it. 
If you want to make your own design work well, pick a simpler project.  You're trying to build a Ferrari with go cart expertise. 

subsonic1050

« Reply #73 on: 28 Nov 2021, 08:25 pm »
Just let him do what he wants. This thread has been going on forever with people warning him about the difficulties and almost impossibility of doing this properly. His responses almost seem to take that feedback as people just trying to crush his dreams and keep him from being happy. I say - more power to you Mike. Go for it. I think this topic has been thoroughly exhausted. Just go into it knowing that you are not likely to receive any meaningful help from anyone here - not out of an unwillingness to help, but an inability to do so.

S Clark

« Reply #74 on: 28 Nov 2021, 08:42 pm »
That's what I said. "If you want to build it, great. Do it."
And you're right about not finding help, because the guidance he needs isn't easily, cheaply, or quickly available. 

One bit of advice for Mike, measure and make sure your impedence doesn't go under 4 ohms.

WGH

« Reply #75 on: 28 Nov 2021, 10:00 pm »
So I have been thinking about that. I have 12 of the knock off neo 8s already.
Haven't decided on woofers.

If you could make the new Purifi Extended Stroke with Ultra Low Distortion 6.5" driver work then distortion would be infinitesimally low to nonexistent.

https://purifi-audio.com/ptt6-5x04-nfa-01/

You would only need 16 drivers  :o
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-6-7-woofers-purifi/purifi-audio-ptt6.5x04-nfa-01-6.5-woofer-4-ohm/

VinceT

« Reply #76 on: 9 Sep 2022, 04:54 am »

I have my eyes peeled for a used ls6 or ls9 that is not 800+ miles from me, but in the meantime just checking back in in this. You guys ever make any head way on a replacement neo 10?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #77 on: 9 Sep 2022, 05:11 am »
Nothing to report, still waiting on more information from the manufacturer.

VinceT

« Reply #78 on: 9 Sep 2022, 05:23 am »
Thanks Hobbs

Danny Richie

« Reply #79 on: 10 Sep 2022, 10:52 pm »
Regarding that Purifi woofer. If you used eight of them wired in two groups of four the sensitivity would be 94db and three db louder then the Neo 8 tweeters that we used.

You need to make sure the impedance and sensitivity will match.

That would also be really expensive.

Oh, and distortion is a non-issue. That's all marketing...