Will the Astron ls-10A just plug right in?

Rclark

Will the Astron ls-10A just plug right in?
« on: 15 May 2011, 07:12 am »

Since it appears that battery kits are on hold temporarily I will go ahead and try the linear supply as my first upgrade. It's fine, I want both a nice ps and also batteries so I can have both flavors to choose from.

But when I get it, will it connect directly to my Two.2? Or will I need some kind of adapter?

dvenardos

Re: Will the Astron ls-10A just plug right in?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2011, 03:49 pm »
If you are getting the one from Jason that will be ready to go.

ltr317

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2011, 04:20 pm »
Since it appears that battery kits are on hold temporarily I will go ahead and try the linear supply as my first upgrade. It's fine, I want both a nice ps and also batteries so I can have both flavors to choose from.

But when I get it, will it connect directly to my Two.2? Or will I need some kind of adapter?

It comes with the adaptor from Virtue.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2011, 05:50 pm »
They don't sell the astron   :scratch:

dboulet

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2011, 06:22 pm »
The Astron ps is no longer offered from Virtue. The linear ps offered is based on the Antek kit, which is what dvenardos is referring to.

The JT is fitted with the right termination, if you buy an Astron elsewhere you'll have to get a cord made.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2011, 07:08 pm »
How could I do that without shipping it all over the place?

I am dead set on having an Astron.

dboulet

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2011, 08:00 pm »
Just find yourself an Astron and get a cord made, Jason can probably help you there. The cable will have ring terminals that screw onto the back of the Astron.

dvenardos

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2011, 01:49 am »
+1 Jason can make you whatever cable you need.

Just find yourself an Astron and get a cord made, Jason can probably help you there. The cable will have ring terminals that screw onto the back of the Astron.

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2011, 01:53 am »
Ok, then I'll go root out a deal on an Astron and maybe I can ask Jason about fixin me up a cable. Thanks guys  :thumb:

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2011, 01:29 am »
Yip, JT will take care of you.

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2011, 11:28 pm »
Well im excited, Jason has shipped out a cable and the astron is on the way. So its a pretty big improvement over the little stock ps huh?

Anyone else running one if these?

Next thing I want is a battery ps, and then to try the Two.2 with Sonicaps instead if Auricaps.

PSB Guy

« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2011, 06:08 pm »
I've been using one of Jason's power supplies for the last year and a half with my M901. If the Astron is anywhere near as good, you're in for a treat. It's like getting a new amp, better control on the low end, more dynamics all around. Enjoy.

Cornelis

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2011, 11:45 pm »
I can only imagine. The shipping weight is over 18 pounds. I don't think the stock supply weighs even 1.

Is it ok to dial it up to 32 volts? Two.2  can handle that right?

dvenardos

« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2011, 03:59 pm »

That is really pushing it. I would try it a 30 volts and see how you like it.

PSB Guy

« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2011, 06:04 pm »
I can only imagine. The shipping weight is over 18 pounds. I don't think the stock supply weighs even 1.
Pretty sure you'll also void your warranty by going over 30 volts, so personally, I wouldn't.

Cornelis

Rclark

« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2011, 06:08 pm »
Ok for some reason I thought it was ok with the new ones. I'll just dial it to 30.

Can't wait for that bad boy to get here on the 1st.

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2011, 06:11 pm »
Let me understand something. So if I were to buy a second Astron and a second Two.2 for biamping that would not actually give me 87 watts let side? I would still only be 55 watts per side, is that right?

Because I was under the impression from the manual that if Imonoblocked i would get full power to each channel. I was kind of hoping.

dvenardos

« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2011, 07:14 pm »
That was written before the high power supplies were available. The supplies at the time didn't provide enough amps to power both channels of the amp, so monoblocking would get you more power. With the high current supplies there is no advantage to going mono. I don't think they have been benched with the high current supplies so I am not sure what the actual number for the total output is.

Let me understand something. So if I were to buy a second Astron and a second Two.2 for biamping that would not actually give me 87 watts let side? I would still only be 55 watts per side, is that right?

Because I was under the impression from the manual that if Imonoblocked i would get full power to each channel. I was kind of hoping.

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2011, 08:18 pm »
Ok. So leave it as is. Which supply do you consider high current? Does the Astron qualify or do I need something burlier? I'm not after huge wattage, it already gets very loud with just the stock supply, but I was hoping for sort of the ultimate experience with this amp. Most of everything.

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2011, 08:46 pm »
Also, my speakers are an efficient (90db) 8ohm. And the n3's are near the same. Is it true that adding a resistor can get me more grunt from the amp? I understand it performs best with a harder load, and gives a throatier performance, bassier.

Positively love the thing :thumb: . I'm running now a pair of insignias until I can afford to full my n3 cabinets and even stock the amp is fantastic, magnificent, a dream.