Passive preamp with three or more inputs and remotecontrolled volume?

Smalltalk80

Well as the title suggests, I'm looking for a preamp for when I'm unhooking the pot of my classic.
I want to make up for the few "deficiencies" of the small virtueamps. It can't be too expensive though... remote controlled volume is pretty much a must for me, but isn't a must in the passive preamp because the sources I use all have a separate volume control. But it does need an input selector and a volume knob.  :wink:

jparkhur

Dodd Passive Tube Preamp kid w/ remote is 500.

gcos

try this for 199..       http://www.mav-audio.com/

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.

Smalltalk80

Superphon SP-100

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue23/superphon.htm
When I said it can't be too expensive, I meant as in not costing more than the amp, preferably less.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I have a Creek P43r somewhere in my closet if you are interested. 6 input, 2 out and remote.

Smalltalk80

I have a Creek P43r somewhere in my closet if you are interested. 6 input, 2 out and remote.
Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. No pre-used. I have to many negative experiences with that.  :?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
That's too bad.  Used is where you get the deals.  I have mostly been quite happy with used gear purchases from fellow audiophiles.   

etcarroll

What Woodsyi said.

I have the Superphon SP-100 with many upgrades, and will be putting it up for sale in near future for around $400, but it seems you want new, yet cheap.

Are you a diy-er? May be your only route.

Smalltalk80

The Maverick Audio Tube Magic DAC linked to above seems a very good deal. What the catch? Is it any good?

saisunil

You need a virtue sensation ... it is remote integrated with remote volume and input switcher ... you could easily sell your virtue or possibly trade it in ...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78467.0

Here is a link above to Maverick thread here on AC^^

woodsyi

• Volunteer
I just noticed it's in a manufacturer's circle.  Please remove my comment on used gear if you find it inappropriate.  IMHO, transferable warranties and good support of "used" gear establishes a good resale value which in turn makes the new stuff more desirable.

BTW, I buy new and old as long as I can find good value and Virtue gear definitely has good bang for the buck.

etcarroll

I was on the Mav 1 demo tour, a very nice unit, plus it gives you the chance to add tube sound to your system.

Smalltalk80

I was on the Mav 1 demo tour, a very nice unit, plus it gives you the chance to add tube sound to your system.
But do you have the option of deselecting it and just have a straight throughput of the DAC while still having volume control?

etcarroll

Yes, one input is straight SS, the other goes through the tube. Read through the link posted above in the cheap and cheerfull circle, the Mav 1 is well documented.

eclein

• Volunteer
They have two outputs-tube pre out or solid state output. Each output has a set of RCA plugs. So you pick your preference when cabling the unit into your system. I use mine as a DAC for my squeezebox and a pre for my cd player. I have a TWO.2 and find the flexibility of multiple inputs and tube flavor to be the most cost effective way to manage a bunch of sources. If you pick the solid state output your getting a SS DAC and a pre, so yes is your answer.

Smalltalk80

Ok, so let me but all my cards on the table:
I was thinking maybe I made a mistake ordering the classic instead of the normal ONE 2. My thinking to begin with, was that I wasn't ever going to use the sub output and I thought I wasn't going to use the volume control, for more than the initial testing. So I might as well save the $50 for a preamp with the inputs I need.
But now I found out how hard it was to find a good cheap passive preamp. And I was contemplating sending the amp back to be replaced with the ONE 2 with the better "pot" and just buy a simple phono input selector.
But now this one comes up...
The ultimate question is: Which option will give me the best overall sound quality?
Or in other word how much better is the volume "pot" on the ONE 2 than the one Mav if at all.
It'll cost me about the same everything included... (most of my sources are digital).

dvenardos

An external DAC will make a big difference for you and give you the best sound quality. I haven't heard the Maverick, however.

It'll cost me about the same everything included... (most of my sources are digital).

Also, upgrade you input caps to auricaps or sonicaps.

eclein

• Volunteer
I have one of the latest TWO.2's and it sounded great before I bypassed the pot and even better afterward. The DAC/pre I use is similar to the Maverick-different branding-and I have used it as a line level DAC without the volume control and with the volume control and couldn't hear any difference so I chose to bypass the volume pot in the TWO and see what that change sounded like and have enjoyed the sound that way ever since.
If you have multiple digital sources to consider I would say check out the Maverick or Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09(virtually identical) and get the flexibility they bring to the table. My unit(the TWO) came with Auricaps so I can't say what kind of straight up performance increase you'll get replacing the caps as mine are already upgraded. I do know that using my TWO without the 80hz filter in place and using the Auricaps and not the Virtuecaps does sound better to me.