Passive preamp with three or more inputs and remotecontrolled volume?

Smalltalk80

Well the standard caps (not the highpass ones for the sub port) are the same on the ONE classic and the ONE 2. Right?! Otherwise the Classic seems increasingly like a really bad deal. It is after all only $50 you save.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
they are the same caps.
the two.2 has Auricaps in it for the full range.

If it were me I would sell the One on Audiogon (they hold their value)
and buy an M451 and upgrade the caps to your choice all the while improving the sound of the same Tripath chip used in the One and saving yourself some Doh$
thats my 2 cents :)

dvenardos

I would agree if it wasn't for all his digital sources. He will get more sound for the buck by going with an external DAC.

chadh

The Eva 2 LDR volume control from DIY Paradise has three inputs, remote control, and is extremely transparent.  Price: around US$360.

Link: http://diyparadise.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=113

Chad

Smalltalk80

If you have multiple digital sources to consider I would say check out the Maverick or Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09(virtually identical) and get the flexibility they bring to the table. My unit(the TWO) came with Auricaps so I can't say what kind of straight up performance increase you'll get replacing the caps as mine are already upgraded. I do know that using my TWO without the 80hz filter in place and using the Auricaps and not the Virtuecaps does sound better to me.
So which one of the two? Anyone? I've read someone claiming that you had to hardware mod the GF to get the preamp to kick in with regards to the DAC (remember I need the volume pot).

EDIT: No need. GF won't ship to Denmark. So no deal. Maverick it is.