Like a 'series' of battery questions man

Mattyboy

Like a 'series' of battery questions man
« on: 23 Sep 2010, 09:26 pm »
Can the virtue supplied battery charger (Gary) be used with any amp hour rated 12v batteries in series?

Does it only work with 2x 5ah rated batts?

Is there any sonic benefits to using higher ah rated batts?

Would using 3 x 12v batts in series producing 36volts kill the amp?...Answer = YES..
-
-
-
-
Feeling a little tired now.....time to recharge my batteries

cynan

Re: Like a 'series' of battery questions man
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2010, 10:00 pm »
Can the virtue supplied battery charger (Gary) be used with any amp hour rated 12v batteries in series?

Yes. As long as the capacities (number of amp hours) are in the same ball park this charger will charge them. (Any batteries from about 1Ah to 20Ah should work fine)

Is there any sonic benefits to using higher ah rated batts?

No. Not really. The largest benefits from using larger batteries are 1) Your batteries will likely last longer as they are not being depleted as much as smaller batteries with every charge cycle and 2) You can listen to your amp longer with out plugging in.

Note: If you have very sensitive speakers (probably greater than about 91 db/watt/meter) you may notice a reduction in background noise when running without the charger in series. (This is also dependent on how "clean" your local power is - the switching charger itself, at least from my experience, seems fairly quiet). Otherwise, just leaving the charger connected will be less hassle and will probably provide longer battery life with smaller capacity (smaller and less expensive) batteries.

dba

• demand better audio
    • Demand Better Audio
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2010, 06:09 pm »
I'd ever-so-slightly disagree with Cynan on the benefits of larger Ah supply - i'd say it is most dependent on your listening genre; long hard breaks (thrash), repetitive sub-sonics (D'n'B), slow decay low bass (Ska) will all benefit from the latent capacity of the supply, thus the larger it is the less likely the amplifier is going to draw the current close to the threshold limits of the supply.

Back in the day debates raged about battery supplying the original 2024 chipsets. They couldn't draw more than a few amps but could you hear the difference between the same track played when doing a back-back against a 3Ah supply and a 7Ah, yes you could...............depending on the track.

The key, IMO, is damage. Will a greater Ah supply damage the equipment? the answer is no, so its better to have the current on tap :thumb:

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2010, 12:13 am »
Sorry, Danny... Disagreement here.  I believe the Cynan is right.

The battery supplies, even a 1Ah supply, will deliver 300A+ if short-circuited.  That is, it has a latent current delivering capacity of much more than the 7A our amp will draw.  So whether it's 1Ah, 2Ah, 3Ah, or more... it will deliver way more current than we can use until it's out of gas, which will result in lower voltage.

Which does make size relevant because you don't want it being drawn down beyond the point where the charger can't keep up.  We think 5Ah (1 amp for 5 hours) is plenty. 

The tube buffer is a bit of a hog.  We go from idle drain of around 200mA to maybe 500mA.  Heavy passages could draw 7A but average draw under normal listening conditions is much less.

Mama Virtue

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2010, 01:31 am »
essentially our charger will charge any battery/batteries that =24volts.
even car chargers are available in small amperage trickle chargers (2amp) that will charge a 350+amp battery in 2 days.
from what I've read about dc battery chargers (I've read quite a bit on this) the voltage is most important and the amperage depends on your needs/ how fast you want to charge your batteries.

someone correct me if I'm wrong but I worked for a battery shop years ago and learned allot about batteries and how they work, I also learned the slower the charge the deeper the charge.

I'm charging a pair of 12AH batteries with my dodd charger and it never takes more than 3 hours to pull a full charge.

p.s. Jason made this post on my computer (his hard drive died :( )
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2010, 02:21 am by Mama Virtue »