The Drum Solo

Mike B.

The Drum Solo
« on: 17 Jun 2023, 05:18 pm »
The drum solo was a popular addition to rock concerts back in the late 1960's and 1970's. Long solos seem to have gone the way of the dinosaurs :) I saw a lot of concerts back then and the two drum drummers that stood out were  Keith Moon and Michael Shrieve who was with the first edition of Santana.
I just ran across this old video of Shrieve

https://youtu.be/uSHU-hvxexg?list=RDGMEMJQXQAmqrnmK1SEjY_rKBGA

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: The Drum Solo
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2023, 01:08 pm »
The old jazz drummers were in a class by themselves over the rock drummers.  Possibly the best of the best was Buddy Rich.
Of the more modern guys, I'd pick Steve Gadd.   

Samac

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2023, 01:39 pm »
The old jazz drummers were in a class by themselves over the rock drummers.

I was wondering when this tired line would come along. Different? Sure. Better? Not necessarily. +1 for Neil Peart.

Cheers,

Scott

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2023, 04:13 pm »
The old jazz drummers were in a class by themselves over the rock drummers.  Possibly the best of the best was Buddy Rich.
Of the more modern guys, I'd pick Steve Gadd.

I love jazz but Buddy Rich??? Maybe your favorite but best????

Um, Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Roy Haynes, Jack DeJohnette, Jo Jones, the list goes on.... plus my favorite Sonny Payne of the great Count Basie orchestra.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2023, 04:39 pm »
Drum solos still happen. I saw the EELS on Wednesday and there was a drum solo. It also depends on the drummer. This goes back probably 10 years, a friend is in a C&W band. They give him a drum solo and the singer says, "We do it to keep him happy, as he's that good!". It was funny and true; and a hell of a drum solo. The C&W crowd loved it.

Brings back memories of my first concert I went to and the drum solo of Iron Butterfly's In a Gadda da Vida. Had to sneak in as the age limit was 18 and I was 12. If you call after the guy takes my ticket and says you have to be 18, he turns his back; I got the hint and my friend and I shot through. Still love psychedelia, going to see King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard later today.

As for drummers, my favorite is Gavin Harrison. Saw him earlier this year with Pineapple Thief. Rare when a band is billed as "The Pineapple Thief featuring Gavin Harrison". Also with Porcupine Tree and King Crimson.  This is a taste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6suv3mraIhw 

Another thing that is cool about folks like Gavin Harrison and Neal Pearl, is they still have the massively large kits. That also is something you do not see too much of.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2023, 04:42 pm »
Gotta go with the Professor!   :drums: :drums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw6aWbXL5Mc

Definitely the best I have ever seen.

George

I believe your long url is the reason the entire thread needs to be scrolled from left to right in order to read. Recommend rather than including the entire google search, once you find with google search just copy and paste youtube url. Edited your post to provide example.   

S Clark

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2023, 05:30 pm »
I love jazz but Buddy Rich??? Maybe your favorite but best????

Um, Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Roy Haynes, Jack DeJohnette, Jo Jones, the list goes on.... plus my favorite Sonny Payne of the great Count Basie orchestra.
I like Philly jo, Blakey, Roach, etc. but I think Buddy was the best pure drummer, not necessarily as a band leader.  We've all got our favorites...
I'll take a listen to Sonny P, as I've never been a big fan of the Count. 

S Clark

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2023, 05:35 pm »
I was wondering when this tired line would come along. Different? Sure. Better? Not necessarily. +1 for Neil Peart.

Cheers,

Scott
I simply consider it to be true.  I think they were more talented and creative.

Mike B.

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2023, 05:43 pm »
I was aiming this tread at rock drummers. I never listened to very much of Rush. Didn't care for Lee's voice. Got to admit few if any three piece rock bands made it if they were not all excellent musicians.
If I chose a jazz trained more disciplined rock drummer it would be Grinder Baker.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2023, 05:45 pm »
Deep Purple's Ian Paice, showed the world class drumming on "Made in Japan" album.
I have witnessed live, amazing and extremely physical drum solo by Tommy Clufetos, during the last Black Sabbath world tour, in support for their last studio album.

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2023, 12:23 pm »
Deep Purple's Ian Paice, showed the world class drumming on "Made in Japan" album.
I have witnessed live, amazing and extremely physical drum solo by Tommy Clufetos, during the last Black Sabbath world tour, in support for their last studio album.

So true about Ian Paice.  I would put his Mule solo from Made in Japan up there with anything anyone has ever done. The brute force in that solo has to be heard (and FELT) to be believed. I was lucky enough to see Deep Purple at the Olympia two days after Aerosmith at Cobo in '74. My ears are still ringing!

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2023, 01:18 pm »
So true about Ian Paice.  I would put his Mule solo from Made in Japan up there with anything anyone has ever done. The brute force in that solo has to be heard (and FELT) to be believed. I was lucky enough to see Deep Purple at the Olympia two days after Aerosmith at Cobo in '74. My ears are still ringing!

I'm so envious (in the good way, of course), that you expierienced Them live, in Their glory days.I got into Deep Purple at the age of 12, right after They bisbanded in 1976.To this day Mark II, III and IV albums are the most precious cds in my collection.Also, "Live in Concert 1872/73" (in black and white) and "Live in California '74" dvds are visual gems.I'm taking them to the grave (I instructed my son already), lol.

By the way, why is this thread so wide?I'm running out of computer screen.

Mike B.

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2023, 01:50 pm »
I saw Deep Purple live also. Good band. I was more focused on Lord who frequently abused
his organ :lol: I think it was a Hammond B3 and banging it around would make it howl. Tubes
didn't like it.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2023, 03:18 pm »
The late, crazy Jim Gordon's drumming was always very distinctive.

VinceT

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2023, 05:44 pm »
I was aiming this tread at rock drummers. I never listened to very much of Rush. Didn't care for Lee's voice. Got to admit few if any three piece rock bands made it if they were not all excellent musicians.
If I chose a jazz trained more disciplined rock drummer it would be Grinder Baker.

I have played drums my whole life.

As far as rock drummers you have Pert, Moon, Bonham, Mitchel, Ginger Baker, . Shrieve was a prodigy in his time. Lots of good ones. I had a chance to see Rush on the last tour, Neil Pert was the real deal.

But I do agree the rock drummers cannot hold a candle to the jazz genre as far as chops.