Salks at lower listening levels

aniwolfe

Salks at lower listening levels
« on: 22 Apr 2019, 03:11 pm »
Hello Salk Owners

How do these speakers in general sound a low levels? 60-70db
Any model work best at this?
I prefer speakers that are not laidback yet not too aggressive either. A midrange that will not sound muffled a low volumes. I have a Lyngdorf 2170 80/160 watts per channel. 8/4ohms

I listen mostly to Progressive Rock. Think Rush, Genesis, Elp, King Crimson. Need bass drum to have a realistic sound, not overly boomy and lack detail.

The Song3-A, Veracity ST and Silk Towers look very intriguing.

Thanks in advance

R Swerdlow

Re: Salks at lower listening levels
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2019, 05:17 pm »
I've had Salk SongTowers (dome tweeter) and now the Veracity ST.  I also have DIY CAOW1 speakers, very similar to SongSurround Is.

Unlike other speakers I've had in the past, none of them require high volume to sound good.  They sound neutral, balanced (neither laid back or aggressively detailed) and produce good off-axis images at low and high volumes.  Most, if not all, Dennis Murphy-designed Salk speakers seem to share this ability.

I own Veracity STs (and love them), I've heard Song3-As and also like them.  I've not heard the Silk Towers, but I'd be surprised if they didn't also work well at low volume.  I think any of your 3 picks will do well for what you want.

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2019, 05:57 pm »
Hello Salk Owners

How do these speakers in general sound a low levels? 60-70db
Any model work best at this?
I prefer speakers that are not laidback yet not too aggressive either. A midrange that will not sound muffled a low volumes. I have a Lyngdorf 2170 80/160 watts per channel. 8/4ohms

I listen mostly to Progressive Rock. Think Rush, Genesis, Elp, King Crimson. Need bass drum to have a realistic sound, not overly boomy and lack detail.

The Song3-A, Veracity ST and Silk Towers look very intriguing.

Thanks in advance

Based on the type of music you listen to, I would add the Song3 BeAT's to your list and probably take the Song3-A's out of consideration.  They may be too detailed for you with that type of music.

- Jim

Joe Frances

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2019, 02:20 am »
Since the Silk Monitors was designed with NYC apartment living in mind, it's probably not only their diminutive size that is important ; but also their ability to play well at lower "neighbor friendly" volumes that make these speakers highly desirable.

Grbluen

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2019, 03:22 pm »
I have the regular Song 3s, and I never listen above those levels. When I auditioned the Songs, that was a major consideration.

kclark0395

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2019, 03:27 pm »
I have Songtowers and that's actually something I really love about the speakers, how balanced they remain as the volume is turned down.

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2019, 06:04 pm »
While come woofers do not come into their own at lower volume levels.  There is one other factor involved here--Fletcher-Munson curves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves

Back in 1933, tests were conducted to determine how volume affects perceived bass levels.  As this study has shown, as volume decreases, human hearing is less sensitive to bass frequencies.

That is why some older preamps had a "loudness contour" control. When the contour was engaged, the volume level of bass frequencies were increased to compensate for this effect. For the most part, you don't see those circuits being implemented these days.

Just keep in mind that as the volume is decreased, the output of the amp is still flat, but your sense of hearing will lead you to the conclusion that the bass is rolling off faster than the rest of the signal.  This is just the nature of human hearing and no speaker can compensate for it.

- Jim

Joe Frances

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2019, 12:36 am »
While come woofers do not come into their own at lower volume levels.  There is one other factor involved here--Fletcher-Munson curves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves

Back in 1933, tests were conducted to determine how volume affects perceived bass levels.  As this study has shown, as volume decreases, human hearing is less sensitive to bass frequencies.

That is why some older preamps had a "loudness contour" control. When the contour was engaged, the volume level of bass frequencies were increased to compensate for this effect. For the most part, you don't see those circuits being implemented these days.

Just keep in mind that as the volume is decreased, the output of the amp is still flat, but your sense of hearing will lead you to the conclusion that the bass is rolling off faster than the rest of the signal.  This is just the nature of human hearing and no speaker can compensate for it.

- Jim

This loudness contour control is this what the bass frequency controls on the McIntosh and Luxman integrated amplifers are for?

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2019, 02:15 pm »

This loudness contour control is this what the bass frequency controls on the McIntosh and Luxman integrated amplifers are for?

I am not that familiar with the McIntosh or Luxman amps.  So I don't know if they have a loudness contour circuit.  If they have bass and treble controls, I suppose the bass control could be used for this purpose, but that is not a typical use for a bass control.

- Jim