AMG STA or STA-9X For My Preferences

AllanS

AMG STA or STA-9X For My Preferences
« on: 8 Nov 2023, 12:56 pm »
Any opinions if the AMG STA or STA-9X is better suited to my listening preferences and sensitivities?
I primarily listen at low SPL ave approx 65 dB at 2.5M/8’
Spatial Audio Labs 90 dB M4 Sapphire
Value realistic soundstage and imaging presentation of what’s in the mix.
Certain upper frequencies of brass/woodwinds/pianos and violins literally grate on my nerves.  If that’s considered bright I don’t like bright but also don’t want to lose details.  I think I prefer a fuller but not bloated mid range.
Critical listening is usually vocals and small ensemble acoustic, folk, chamber, world, and Prog rock (Yes, Porcupine Tree, etc)
Listening space is moderately treated 11’ x 14’ x 8’ carved out of a room that’s 19’ x 14’ x 8’. 
miniDSP SHD full range Dirac is usually on to tame a couple of bass resonance problems and sort out upper frequency phase issues.
One thing I really like about my current set up (PS Audio M1200 and Gain Cell DAC / pre) is the low volume bass.  It really sounds pretty full with out having to turn it up.  But the system isn’t particularly engaging.  It’s likely not the fault of the gear but I spend more time listening to the system than getting lost in the music.
Thank you

zappan

Re: AMG STA or STA-9X For My Preferences
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2023, 10:16 am »
Hey Allan,

No insights on the preamps, unfortunately, but just curious what do you use as a source for your listening?

To share my angle - I'm streaming only, Qobuz and local, and got hinted by my trusted dealer that probably the smarter path for me is to go down the streaming DAC route, rather than trying to pair/match two separate components. And I feel he's more than right, that allows me to find a component that is already well integrated, rather than trying to combine a source that works well with the DAC. It doesn't necessarily solve your preamp dilemma, but it might change the sonic characteristic where the highs wouldn't be so grating for you...

OTOH, I'm also curious about these two preamps comparison, mainly because I'm also considering the active speakers option, so a pre- would be needed, if for nothing more, for getting an output to the REL subwoofer. And, Nuprime is definitely on the list for that

AllanS

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2023, 11:35 am »
Hi Zappa.  I’ve not heard them referred to as streaming DACs before but I like it.

My primary source is a Bluesound Vault 2i.  I have and will continue to consider streaming DACs like the Lumin T3 and Auralic Altair G1.1 but the I’m fairly invested in the Bluesound ecosystem and like it.  To your point though, combining functions into a single chassis is growing on me.  Done well, either DAC and streamer or DAC pre amp is appealing.

The comparison here though is power amps.  Both the AMG STA and STA-9X are stereo power amps.

But a separate follow up thread will ask what the sonic benefits are of inserting an AMG PRA or PRA-9X preamps between AMG DAC or DAC-9X and their respective power amps.

zappan

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2023, 11:47 am »
Uhh, I misread the amps names, you're right, those are the poweramps  :icon_lol: :duh: :duh:

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2023, 12:41 am »
If you visit the NuPRIME Amp comparison chart, you will see some of the qualities questions answered.

https://nuprimeaudio.com/guides/amp-comparison/

Now of course the AMPS will only amplify what is fed them, so the signal chain is important.

Regarding, low level listening.  I always find specs interesting as they seldom report the listening qualities at different listening levels.

While I said, that the power chain holds much of the responsibility, it is important to note at low level listening the speakers, listening position, and room shape the rest.

When in doubt, it is most likely the higher priced component has performance and refinement qualities slightly above those below them.

AllanS

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2023, 03:34 am »
Thank you John.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2023, 02:14 pm »
Any opinions if the AMG STA or STA-9X is better suited to my listening preferences and sensitivities?

I suspect the AMG STA would be a better fit.  I would describe my listening preferences to be very similar to yours.  See below for more....

Quote from: AllanS

Both are equal in these regards, IMO, and exceptional.

Certain upper frequencies of brass/woodwinds/pianos and violins literally grate on my nerves.  If that’s considered bright I don’t like bright but also don’t want to lose details. 

This is the description of the AMG STA.  Warmer, less high end emphasis, but not short on details.  For those with high end sensitivity, the AMG STA for sure.

Since you are familiar with Sapphires, you might relate to this analogy:   I have Omega Super Alnico Monitors - HO.  Louis also makes speakers with ferrite magnets rather than alnico.  I've tried both.  Many prefer the ferrite based drivers.  I prefer the alnico.  The ferrites have a more pronounced high end with detail emphasis.  The alnicos are warmer, more "inner" detail.  But high (what might be called "outer") detail is still there.

Critical listening is usually vocals and small ensemble acoustic, folk, chamber, world, and Prog rock (Yes, Porcupine Tree, etc)

Yep!  AMG STA.

I found that NuPrime's description of the AMG STA in the "Listening Impression" section is right on.

My .02,   .....Pete

eljr

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2023, 05:42 pm »
I primarily listen at low SPL ave approx 65 dB at 2.5M/8’
Spatial Audio Labs 90 dB M4 Sapphire
Certain upper frequencies of brass/woodwinds/pianos and violins literally grate on my nerves.  If that’s considered bright I don’t like bright but also don’t want to lose details.  I think I prefer a fuller but not bloated mid range.
Listening space is moderately treated 11’ x 14’ x 8’ carved out of a room that’s 19’ x 14’ x 8’. 
miniDSP SHD full range Dirac is usually on to tame a couple of bass resonance problems and sort out upper frequency phase issues.
One thing I really like about my current set up (PS Audio M1200 and Gain Cell DAC / pre) is the low volume bass.  It really sounds pretty full with out having to turn it up.  But the system isn’t particularly engaging.  It’s likely not the fault of the gear but I spend more time listening to the system than getting lost in the music.
Thank you

I would recommend you avoid NuPrime like the plague.
Why?
If you ever need customer support for anything, you will be screwed. It does not exist.
Hope this helps.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2023, 08:32 pm »
Why?
If you ever need customer support for anything, you will be screwed. It does not exist.
Hope this helps.

Wow. That is a very strong statement. By any chance are you referring to your issue with the DAC-10H not working with your STAX headphones?

Your experience is yours, so I cannot comment on it. However, I've owned Nuprime gear ever since the IDA-8 came out. Not only have I never felt 'screwed', I've never bought a bad or defective component from Nuprime. I consider Nuprime gear high quality at a reasonable price. The CEO is very active in this circle and very approachable. No complaints from me.

**I'm not picking a fight with you. I just wanted to add balance to your commentary.**

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2023, 08:38 pm »
Apparently a disgruntled customer.  Long time customers know we always do it right by customers and do our best, but once in a while we have people with ridiculous demand or demand that is beyond our control. I am not sure what's his issue is about.

Also keep in mind that Nuprime relies on distributors and their service people to do the job. So when problems get to our attention, customers are usually quite upset. And that's where I step in to help.  This is especially for USA customers. They think that we own everything, which we do not. We have USA distributor.
In the past 9 months in the USA, we had big problems with our service guy in Florida where he had problems one after another. We tried to be understanding and support him. But at the end, we have to protect the business. So we took step to ship everything (wow, there were something like 9 items) to Taiwan factory and that took 2 to 3 weeks to sort out and repair. We shipped everything back to each customers by FedEx International.
I am glad this is all behind us now.  I apologise to any US customers who had the bad experience for so long.

Occasionally we have problems that we can't detect. Examples:
One customer complained that his CDT-9 can't read his CDs. The item ended up getting shipped to Taiwan factory for testing (oh yes, cost > $250 round trip in shipping, paid by US distributor!). We tested many CDs with no problem. We asked customer to ship his problem CDs (which he ripped himself) to us to make sure that those are supported. But he refused to response. What can we do?

rustydoglim

« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2023, 08:58 pm »
Why?
Hope this helps.

I found out about his problem. He reported some sort of intermittent dropout problem with his DAC-10H to the service guy in Florida.
We never had this sort of problem with DACs, so the service guy probably didn't know how to handle it. And he (service guy) was having health and other problems at that time. And then months went by (without me knowing anything about the issue). Eventually the USA distributor (Summit HiFi) and I took over the service and tried to contact the customer, but by this time he was so angry with us that he refused to response.   :duh:

When there is no clear cut issue with the item, we need to understand the problem and need customer's cooperation. You can't just tell us: I got a problem, go figure it out.  Service and support cost $$$ and especially if the item is out of warranty. Many service people charges > $100 per hour.  If the item is sent for service, and we can't find the problem, customers are still going to be billed for the labor and they will be upset.  So we try to confirm the problem.

AllanS

« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2023, 11:10 pm »
I suspect the AMG STA would be a better fit.  I would describe my listening preferences to be very similar to yours.
Many thanks Pete.  I appreciate your help.  Thanks also for the comments about anilco v ferrite tweeters.  I’m always looking for more interesting and relevant rabbit holes to go down.

AllanS

« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2023, 11:43 pm »
Eventually the USA distributor (Summit HiFi) and I took over the service problem
After sales support, during and after the warranty period expires, is an important consideration in the buying decision.
Are you saying that Summit HiFi is now handling US and Canada after sales service for NuPrime?

rustydoglim

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2023, 07:16 am »
After sales support, during and after the warranty period expires, is an important consideration in the buying decision.
Are you saying that Summit HiFi is now handling US and Canada after sales service for NuPrime?

The problem with USA support was due to two problems 1) reliable support staff and 2) high cost of support.
Our high-end audio business is too small to hire full time sales staff or support technician, therefore we have to contract out to people. For several years we have Bob Smith as our support, but that went away 2 years ago when he got Covid and went on permanent disability. The rest of the story was described in previous post.

But we figure out a better way. If the service staff is costing > $100 USD per hour, we would be better off to ship the item directly to Taiwan factory (it takes less time to ship to Taiwan than typical US ground shipping!!).  The UPS or FedEx ground shipping is becoming more expensive too.  At the factory, we have full diagnostic (AP signal measurement, burn-in after repair) and don't need to wait for parts to ship to USA.  This seems ridiculous to ship the item across the world for service, but when taking into consideration all the cost and quality of service, it make sense! 

So once Summit HiFi confirms that you need service, he will send you a FedEx label to ship to Taiwan. You pay for US ground shipping fee, plus labor and parts. Nuprime Taiwan factory has been around for more than 20 years, and we manufacture for a few other brands. We might run into short term problems from time to time (who doesn't ?), but we will correct it and be around for a very long time.

pentax1976

« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2023, 08:22 am »
Hi, I am newbie around here :).
I am interested in buying Nuprime STA-9X poweramp. I intend to connect it to the Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer/DAC/PRE via XLR connectors.
As the Nuprime STA 9X does not have adjustable gain (it has fixed Gain: x 28.5 as I cen see in specs), I am guessing - will this combination work ok?

Official specs of Eversolo DMP A6 are:
Output level: XLR 5 V; RCA 2.5V
Frequency response: 20Hz~20KHz XLR/RCA ( 土 0. 15dB)
Dynamic range:XLR > 128dB/RCA > 124dB
SNR: XLR >128dB/RCA >124dB
THD+N: XLR:<0.000092%(-120dB)/RCA :<0.00011%(-119dB) @A-Wt
Crosstalk:XLR>125dB/RCA>124dB

Anyone who tried STA-9 and STA-9X, is it really worth almost 50% of price difference? I watched charts and all that is written there on webpage.

I am using Wharfedale Evo 4.4 speakers (89db sensitivity) and the amp that is still in use but leave house today is CA CXA80.

AllanS

« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2023, 12:17 pm »
Thanks much for your explanation and details.  I missed the previous post you mentioned but that is unimportant at this point.

rustydoglim

« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov 2023, 03:12 pm »
Hi, I am newbie around here :).
I am interested in buying Nuprime STA-9X poweramp. I intend to connect it to the Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer/DAC/PRE via XLR connectors.
As the Nuprime STA 9X does not have adjustable gain (it has fixed Gain: x 28.5 as I cen see in specs), I am guessing - will this combination work ok?

Official specs of Eversolo DMP A6 are:
Output level: XLR 5 V; RCA 2.5V
Frequency response: 20Hz~20KHz XLR/RCA ( 土 0. 15dB)
Dynamic range:XLR > 128dB/RCA > 124dB
SNR: XLR >128dB/RCA >124dB
THD+N: XLR:<0.000092%(-120dB)/RCA :<0.00011%(-119dB) @A-Wt
Crosstalk:XLR>125dB/RCA>124dB

Anyone who tried STA-9 and STA-9X, is it really worth almost 50% of price difference? I watched charts and all that is written there on webpage.

I am using Wharfedale Evo 4.4 speakers (89db sensitivity) and the amp that is still in use but leave house today is CA CXA80.

There is plenty of gain from Eversolo DMP A6 for STA-9X.   It is definitely worth the extra $ to get the STA-9X.  We are talking about a few hundred bucks, which you either spend on a few nice dinners, or on a better amp that you can use for years.

eljr

« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2023, 04:43 pm »
Apparently a disgruntled customer.  Long time customers know we always do it right by customers and do our best, but once in a while we have people with ridiculous demand or demand that is beyond our control.

Like returning God damned phone calls or Emails? Then after a year telling me you are busy straightening out customer service issues be patient and someone will get back to me when it's all sorted which of course never happened? Or like having some random guy in FL call me and then fire him a day later? Telling me he was dishonest. Or the guy who replaced him who did return my call finally, now two years on this insane adventure, who was so rude I had to hang up on him? He did call back with a complete different attitude but could only receipt company policy, which I understood but no way in hell I was going to trust Nuprime to ever return my product after me sending it away. Plus, after all this time wanting me to foot 100% of the bill?

As to the "long time NuPrime owners" who think "their company" does no wrong, this is common.
I once had a defective McIntosh CD player. The thing was pure garbage. I was not alone, there were several complaints the piece is almost legendary for it's issues. But when I or anyone spoke "out of school" to their revered audio, the same defensive posts came. McIntosh is prefect. 

My issue was a simple one, I have a headphone jack that has drop outs on the left channel. If I can get it to make a connection, it's great.
I have to push in the jack down and to the right.  Obviously it has gotten worse over time.

I replied to the OP for one reason and one reason only, to sincerely warn him.

BTW, I also had two simple questions about the use of the unit, for two years I had no one to ask. I am sure I can ask here and get the answers.

pentax1976

« Reply #18 on: 16 Nov 2023, 10:14 am »
There is plenty of gain from Eversolo DMP A6 for STA-9X.   It is definitely worth the extra $ to get the STA-9X.  We are talking about a few hundred bucks, which you either spend on a few nice dinners, or on a better amp that you can use for years.
Thank you for info!

rustydoglim

« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2023, 12:36 am »

My issue was a simple one, I have a headphone jack that has drop outs on the left channel. If I can get it to make a connection, it's great.
I have to push in the jack down and to the right.  Obviously it has gotten worse over time.

I replied to the OP for one reason and one reason only, to sincerely warn him.

BTW, I also had two simple questions about the use of the unit, for two years I had no one to ask. I am sure I can ask here and get the answers.

There is no need to repeat the unfortunate history with your support.  Please contact me directly at jasonl@nuprimeaudio.com (you have gotten so mad that you told us not to bother contact you at the help desk, so we closed the ticket and dare not offend you anymore). I can work with you directly to handle your repair.  It is obvious that you have a loose connector and the USA distributor can provide you with a shipping label to send the item to the factory for service.  By the way, I apologise to you and anyone affected by the USA support problem, and I never said that everything is good.  What I meant was that once it gets to my attention, I will take care of it.
BTW, I think everyone here knows that I am the CEO.