New theater room questions

Kyle Kalivoda

New theater room questions
« on: 14 May 2007, 09:35 pm »
I'm thinking of converting a two car garage into a room. I would be putting up a wall where the garage door. Nothing ghetto. Two car garages seem to be closer to a square rather that a rectangle. I recall reading somewhere that square rooms are bad for audio rooms. I would be willing to put up a wall along the back of the garage to hide the washer/dryer to make the room a rectangle. Does it matter that the width of the room would be larger than the length?

Mike Dzurko

• Facilitator
Re: New theater room questions
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2007, 07:47 pm »
I'm thinking of converting a two car garage into a room. I would be putting up a wall where the garage door. Nothing ghetto. Two car garages seem to be closer to a square rather that a rectangle. I recall reading somewhere that square rooms are bad for audio rooms. I would be willing to put up a wall along the back of the garage to hide the washer/dryer to make the room a rectangle. Does it matter that the width of the room would be larger than the length?

Kyle:

Sounds like you have the opportunity to build a terrific room. I can tell you that you want to do your homework and get it right before you start erecting walls. You're right, square is not good. You want to stagger the room modes. There is a LOT of great info on the Acoustics Circle on this forum . . . . do a little reading there and then post your question . . .  you will get skilled, good help with your project.