Soundfield Audio Monitor 1... Here We Go!

neekomax

Soundfield Audio Monitor 1... Here We Go!
« on: 26 Aug 2011, 07:04 pm »
So, my pair has been shipped today, and I'm psyched!  :D

The design is really cool... Stereo active bass from 8" sealed subs powered by 300w plate amps, along with coaxial 5.5" midrange/tweeter drivers in their own enclosure, for better off axis response and room interaction in and out of the sweetspot. All in a monitor form factor, which should better suit my smallish room. They are also capable of driving passive subs, if that's something I want to use in the future. But really, it's all about not having to place a sub in the first place, and dual subs reduce standing waves etc...

AJ has built a pair in maple with white baffles for me, which I requested as I like to limit the number of black boxes in my somewhat mod decor (Actually wanted all white, but the paint job would have been $$$)

These will replace my current speaker, Definitive Technology towers which never really worked for me. Hopefully I can get some of my money back on eBay. Good news is I got them as open box deals, so I don't have to recuperate a ton of cash.

Apparently, I am customer #2... Anyone else got these coming?

Here are some photos that AJ sent while he was QC testing them...

Douger

Re: Soundfield Audio Monitor 1... Here We Go!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2011, 03:23 am »
Good looking and very interesting concept. Congratulations!

JDUBS

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2011, 04:41 am »
Any info on these?  The webpage was pretty sparse.

-Jim

neekomax

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2011, 04:48 am »

-Jim

If you read this thread, you can get some more detailed information from AJ, who builds them: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91026.60 (You can skip to page four for the nitty gritty, or read the whole thing, kind of tells the story)

They are a brand new product, so I think he's working on the website concurrently with the first orders.

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2011, 07:00 am »
This is the first time I'm discovering these things. I want to learn more about them, but I always liked the idea of a monitor with balls.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2011, 07:17 pm »
Neeko, that's the last time I'll send you a pic of the disaster that used to be my living room :oops: :lol:.

One quick note, due to warranty issues, the slave output off the amplifiers is not an option right now, until further notice.
I've got my fingers crossed that they get to you in one piece, despite the rather auspicious start to shipping product....during a hurricane. :duh:

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2011, 07:18 pm »

-Jim

Hi Jim,

I've updated the site a bit, but if you have any questions, you can e-mail me at soundfield (preferred), or pm me here. Thnx

tesseract

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2011, 07:35 pm »
So AJ, your first customers appear to be... AUDIOPHILES!!!    :rotflmao:  Good luck with your new venture, man.

Neekomax, enjoy buddy. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2011, 09:39 pm by tesseract »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2011, 07:47 pm »
This is the first time I'm discovering these things. I want to learn more about them, but I always liked the idea of a monitor with balls.
I had a chance to listen to them extensively at the Capital Audiofest and was very impressed.  Dynamic!  Played all types of music with aplomb.  I'm sending from my phone so I'll write more when I get home.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2011, 07:51 pm »
Cool design!  One of those "Why didn't someone think of that before" architectures...feed us feedback ASAP!

Duke of AudioKinesis is competing against an ultra-high end studio design right now with similar architecture (triamped, $9k/pair).  Funny how things like this pop up at the same time, kind of like a cough spreading through the room! 

tesseract

« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2011, 09:06 pm »
Wow, stickied!

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2011, 09:23 pm »
I hope for much, much more thorough info on the website. The quoted comments on the homepage are intriguing.

Looking forward to impressions guys. These look neat.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2011, 09:53 pm »
After living with a good coax speaker for a while now, I can't ever go back to physically separated drivers.  I think part of the reason why the "single driver" folks hate multi-way speakers so much is the lack of coherence that physically separated midrange and high frequency drivers exhibit.  Coax's are a way, IMO, to have your cake and eat it too - extended range coupled with outstanding coherence.  Glad to see someone making very well thought-out speakers like this!

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2011, 09:58 pm »
I really like my GR-Insignia speakers. They are a co-ax and I like them. Although I've just ordered Magnepan MMG's and plan at this point to have them Gunn'd for my stereo system, once I complete that little adventure I think I might take a look at these Soundfield's for the living room as mains, and maybe use my GR-Insignia's as surrounds.

Lots of new and exciting options available all around. Looking forward to developments on these Monitor 1's with interest.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2011, 10:46 pm »
Wow, stickied!
Almost thought it was Galactic Wastebinned....whew :lol:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2011, 10:51 pm »
Cool design!  One of those "Why didn't someone think of that before" architectures...feed us feedback ASAP!

Duke of AudioKinesis is competing against an ultra-high end studio design right now with similar architecture (triamped, $9k/pair).  Funny how things like this pop up at the same time, kind of like a cough spreading through the room!
Now just to be clear James, these are not fully active (tri-amped), but passive 2 way with active bottom, so one can still use their cherished main amp. Similar to the old Infinity Overture 1's. You do need outlets to plug the power amps into, but they accept speaker level inputs on the rear, just like a passive speaker.

cheers,

AJ

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2011, 11:07 pm »
Thanks, AJ, and congrats on a what appears to be a fine job!

Yes, I knew about the differences, and sorry I may have confused readers by mentioning the Barefoot Pro triamp monitors.  The main similarity is that you're both employing smaller monitors with powered bass drivers.  (For motorcycle fanatics, Barefoot employs the frames of the dual opposed 10" subs as cabinet braces...reminding me of motorcycles such as BMW's oil-head boxer twin that employs the engine as a stressed frame member.)   

Your design makes pure sense for audiophiles, who often cherish their particular amp.  Affordable digital amps are not my cuppa tea for mid/treble, but are absolutely perfect for the bass where musicality is of minimal concern, but high power/high current/low cost/low current draw and low heat are high concerns.  Good on ya! 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #17 on: 28 Aug 2011, 11:14 pm »
"oil-head"? Could you elaborate please, James? PM if necessary.

neekomax

« Reply #18 on: 29 Aug 2011, 01:52 am »
Would love to get in on the discussion, but we just got walloped by Irene and have been without power for the last day. Even the cellular data network is pretty much totally down. Hopefully back online tomorrow... :(

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 29 Aug 2011, 01:54 am »
BMW "boxer" motors are flat twins whose pistons move simultaneously in the same direction, hence the term "boxer".  The originals are "air-cooled" 2-valve, and I'm guessing the first of these go back to pre-WWII (the first and only BMW to win at Daytona, where they finished 1-2, co-builder of the Daytona winning bikes is named Ken Augustine and he did some motorcycle work for me in San Rafael, where strangely enough his shop has the name "Kinetic" in it ala AudioKinesis), the later oil heads arrived in the mid-late 80s, which of course have oil cooled 4-valve heads and an oil cooler.  The difference in the technology between the motors is night and day.

Now I return your computer to the normally scheduled transmission...