Sad day. This guy was a major contributor to the industry

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Sad day. This guy was a major contributor to the industry
« Reply #20 on: 31 May 2018, 05:26 pm »
The Wilson speakers that I have personally heard were excellent products that compared favorably with most of the top of the RMAF rooms. I've always defended their quality even if I could not support their value.  Dave Wilson made a positive contribution, and was a fervent supporter and spokesperson for high quality audio.  He will be missed. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 1 Jun 2018, 11:42 am »
KEF newer technology uses 'concidental' not just 'coaxial' design (being a single driver speaker owner I'm a fan of both).  The Blade and LS50 tweeter and midrange driver voice coils occupy the same position in all 3 dimensions to provide correct off axis phase performance from any direction. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 1 Jun 2018, 03:51 pm »
KEF newer technology uses 'concidental' not just 'coaxial' design (being a single driver speaker owner I'm a fan of both).  The Blade and LS50 tweeter and midrange driver voice coils occupy the same position in all 3 dimensions to provide correct off axis phase performance from any direction. 

Yeah, the KEF's I've heard at RMAF over the years all sounded phenomenal.  Now it makes sense why.  Better technology.

ctviggen

« Reply #23 on: 3 Jun 2018, 10:48 am »
The Wilson speakers that I have personally heard were excellent products that compared favorably with most of the top of the RMAF rooms. I've always defended their quality even if I could not support their value.  Dave Wilson made a positive contribution, and was a fervent supporter and spokesperson for high quality audio.  He will be missed.

When I first started in high end audio, I went and listened to tons of speakers (back when there were still lots of places that sold them).  I always thought that Wilsons were some of the best.  The cabinets alone were unbelievable. They were too expensive for me, though.  (Even their "bookshelf" speakers were over 10 grand, I seem to remember.)  I did look for used versions of Wilsons for a while, but bought some speakers (Linns) from a friend, then found this website, bought VMPS RM40s (new), then Salk HT3s (used).  To my ears, RM40s were the best of the three I had, but my wife didn't like the looks of the massive coffins.  I still have the Linns and the Salks.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #24 on: 3 Jun 2018, 03:50 pm »
Interesting discussion about the Wilson Audio house sound.  I've always viewed them as getting all the parts right and forgetting the whole.  Perfect frequency response, amazing dynamics, hyper detailed, and I was always happier listening to some other, less perfect speaker.  Regardless of my poor opinion, Dave Wilson advanced the state of the art of home speakers exponentially.  And by all accounts was a really great human being, which at the end is way more important than any accomplishments.

A_shah

« Reply #25 on: 3 Jun 2018, 09:51 pm »

+Plus :thumb:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #26 on: 4 Jun 2018, 12:50 pm »
RIP David and condolences to family.

JLM, KEF licensed the Dual Concentric technology from Tannoy years ago.
No, not that I'm aware of. Please provide a link to support this.
KEF Uni-Q is patented by KEF and they do not use Tannoys DC design which places the tweeter behind the woofer, non-coincident.
There are companies that have licensed Uni-Q from KEF, like SEAS. Perhaps that is what you are referring to.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #27 on: 4 Jun 2018, 02:47 pm »
I literally purchased Wilsons days before his passing. They won out in a side by side with Sopra 3's on two different amps. I never thought I would own some even though I always liked them. They are wow good. I'm delaying putting my Salk's up for sale because they are so custom (to me).

Douger

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jun 2018, 03:34 pm »
AJ, I was told this years ago by a KEF dealer. I tried to phone Tannoy in Canada and 2 times got a message that the call could not be completed. If I am wrong I apologize and will not defend my statement further.

Doug

mr_bill

« Reply #29 on: 4 Jun 2018, 04:51 pm »
I literally purchased Wilsons days before his passing. They won out in a side by side with Sopra 3's on two different amps. I never thought I would own some even though I always liked them. They are wow good. I'm delaying putting my Salk's up for sale because they are so custom (to me).

Which Wilson model did you get?  The Sopra 3s are a good one too.

twitch54

« Reply #30 on: 4 Jun 2018, 05:35 pm »
Interesting discussion about the Wilson Audio house sound.  I've always viewed them as getting all the parts right and forgetting the whole.  Perfect frequency response, amazing dynamics, hyper detailed, and I was always happier listening to some other, less perfect speaker.  Regardless of my poor opinion, Dave Wilson advanced the state of the art of home speakers exponentially.  And by all accounts was a really great human being, which at the end is way more important than any accomplishments.

well said ...........

Big Red Machine

« Reply #31 on: 4 Jun 2018, 06:25 pm »
Which Wilson model did you get?  The Sopra 3s are a good one too.

Sasha

mr_bill

« Reply #32 on: 4 Jun 2018, 06:58 pm »
Awesome speaker BRM

jhm731

« Reply #33 on: 4 Jun 2018, 07:31 pm »

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #34 on: 4 Jun 2018, 09:10 pm »
BRM, I heard the Sasha 2 at RMAF this yr and it was the best in show. Let us know how you find it. I wanted to buy it and my wife said I need to sell some speakers first. Very very nice speaker. Enjoy and do report on your listening experiences

ctsooner

« Reply #35 on: 5 Jun 2018, 01:09 pm »
What a thread.  This was a RIP thread and not a commentary on a good man's passing due to a tragic disease.  He is a human being and has a family.  I guess that the person who trashed David, would say the same things to his family face to face???  I hope not, but now days you never know.  If you don't like his speakers, just start a thread for that and let it blow up, but not the RIP thread. 

Just a sad commentary on how folks act on the net.  RIP to a very good human being.  It's been a difficult time for the Wilson family as it would e for any of us. I pray that those who jump on him in this thread don't have to deal with disease in their own family as many of us do/have/will.  This isn't a question of politically correct, it's a question of the poorest of judgment. 

mav52

« Reply #36 on: 5 Jun 2018, 02:09 pm »
Sorry, should have posted this a couple of years ago.  Would that have made it more palatable?

Too late.  You have already by your post that you deleted, that you have NO class.  I sure hope people don't say things about you when you pass on. Karma has a way to get ya.
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2018, 03:22 pm by mav52 »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #37 on: 5 Jun 2018, 10:08 pm »
Too late.  You have already by your post that you deleted, that you have NO class.  I sure hope people don't say things about you when you pass on. Karma has a way to get ya.

Why wait?  Just say whatever else you like about me now.  Use PM if you like.

ctsooner

« Reply #38 on: 8 Jun 2018, 09:37 pm »
It would be really nice if you can take your posts to another thread that you can start.  Many of us are pretty sad about folks passing who we knew or have followed even.  Many of these men are just great guys who do good for others, while building a strong company.  It's shocking that a RIP thread has any post trashing the person.  Time to move on. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #39 on: 8 Jun 2018, 09:41 pm »
All he said was he didn't like the product(s) very much. He didn't piss on the guy's grave, or 'trash' him IMO. Some perspective please.