Lorelei vs. Magnepan 1.7's??

aaron.luebke

Lorelei vs. Magnepan 1.7's??
« on: 25 May 2010, 08:35 pm »
I'm reading that the Lorelei's are wonderful.  I'm a current Magnepan addict and am entertaining the thought of getting the new 1.7's.  But before I do something rash...   :duh:

Anyone here care to voice an opinion on a decision of this nature?   :scratch:  I do see an obvious $1000 price tag difference but given time that can be overcome. 

Help?

Behind these will be a Candela and a Stratos Extreme.

AVnerdguy

Re: Lorelei vs. Magnepan 1.7's??
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2010, 09:53 pm »
Well, I didn't get a chance to audition the Lorelei for any extended length of time as there is no dealer in the area but what I heard made it a tough call. I went to Chicago and camped out at a friend of a friend's house and got to hear them for a few hours. I also auditioned the Salk towers as well (very nice indeed). Ultimately I went for the 1.7s.

Numerous reasons - some subjective (aren't most of them really?) and some having to do with room placement, price/value and wife's opinion on looks (yes, it matters!). And, they're made here in Minnesota and I remember them allowing my students to tour the plant - that went a long way with me - great people. Not to say that is a reason to but them but it did influence me.

I've had the Maggies for about 2 months and I can say with out a doubt that it was the right choice for me. They are just outstanding from almost every aspect. I'd like to describe them but that is just too difficult. The best thing I can say is that when I sit in the sweet spot and close my eyes they simply disappear from my thought process and I'm totally involved in the material and not the equipment.

I will say that they were a bit touchy on placement. At first I though there wasn't enough spread and that maybe I didn't have the proper room. Also, I could shift instrument placement by moving my head - tilting and so on. However, I took an afternoon and marked off many different locations while doing subtle changes and I finally found what I feel to be the correct positioning. Amazing space and soundstage once I got it right.

Some say they are a bit bright on rock recordings - true if the recording is poor but so sweet if it's it's good material recorded properly and without excessive EQ. Bass is very accurate with no exageration. If it's not real bass it's not there and if it is the 1.7s have plenty. A walking string bass on a good jazz recording will testify to that.

Anyway, I can't say they are  the better of the two but I can say that the 1.7s are an great value and I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the purchase of a pair.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2010, 10:44 pm »
Congratulations on the speakers!
Once you get used to the sound and have them set up properly you're pretty much hooked for life.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2010, 11:40 pm »
I've always wanted a pair and now that I have them you are correct - hooked for life.

aaron.luebke

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2010, 12:02 am »
Well, I'm more than delighted with the response!!  Looks like I'll be heading for Minnesota!  :drool:

Thank you!  :thumb:

AnalogDog

Apples and oranges.....
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2010, 03:32 am »
I've not heard the Lorelei; I'm sure they're wonderful speakers, like everything else that comes from Odyssey. That said, you have to decide which type of speaker would work better in YOUR room, and WHY. For example, I've got Magnepan 12's. In my condo any dynamic speaker I tried sounded TERRIBLE. The radiation pattern of a dynamic just excites all KINDS of slap echo and confusion, in this bright little condo living room. Place a planar speaker with a dipolar radiation pattern into the center of the room, sit and listen in the nearfield, and the room is pretty much taken out of the equation. You get this vast, deep and wide soundstage, and the music just flows. And yes, I've not heard ANY gear I like better with Magnepans than my Stratos monoblocs....a fabulous match!

jdodmead

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2010, 12:41 pm »
I live in Minneapolis and extend an invitation to AC members to take a listen to my Lorelei's. send me a pm and we can make arrangements.

Jeff

lazydays

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2010, 04:06 pm »
I'm reading that the Lorelei's are wonderful.  I'm a current Magnepan addict and am entertaining the thought of getting the new 1.7's.  But before I do something rash...   :duh:

Anyone here care to voice an opinion on a decision of this nature?   :scratch:  I do see an obvious $1000 price tag difference but given time that can be overcome. 

Help?

I own the Lorelies, and have heard a lot of Maggies in my lifetime. Maggies are better when setup in the proper room with stands. But I have not heard or seen the 1.7's, and they're better than the 1.6's. But if you want to really hear a difference check out the 3.6's or the up and comming 3.7's
gary

AVnerdguy

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2010, 10:16 pm »
I live in Minneapolis and extend an invitation to AC members to take a listen to my Lorelei's. send me a pm and we can make arrangements.

Jeff

That is a very generous offer! I recommend anyone considering the Lorelei's residing in Minneapolis area take Jeff up on that one. It was a hard decision and I wish I would have had more exposure to those. Happy with my decision but who can resist auditioning great speakers!

BobC

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2010, 03:25 pm »
So, the last time I listened to Maggies (1.6's) I noticed the very small sweet spot.  This pushed me toward my current Martin Logans, which have a wider sweet spot (IMO) but not-so-much vertically.  I'm curious to know if the 1.7's would offer an improvement, i.e. a bit annoying that I must be in a sitting position directly in front of the speakers to hear the good stuff.  Really notice the drop off when you stand up. 

Or, is the 1.7 dispersion the same as the 1.6?

Thanks, Bob
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2010, 04:28 pm by BobC »

KKM

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2010, 08:23 pm »
So, the last time I listened to Maggies (1.6's) I noticed the very small sweet spot.  This pushed me toward my current Martin Logans, which have a wider sweet spot (IMO) but not-so-much vertically.  I'm curious to know if the 1.7's would offer an improvement, i.e. a bit annoying that I must be in a sitting position directly in front of the speakers to hear the good stuff.  Really notice the drop off when you stand up. 

Or, is the 1.7 dispersion the same as the 1.6?

Thanks, Bob
Bob
One of the improvements that the 1.7's claims is the improved larger sweet spot and dispersion:

http://www.avguide.com/blog/magnepan-mg-17-unqualified-triumph

ronbo

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2010, 11:38 pm »
Well, I'm a current Lorelei owner and I trade off between the Loreleis and my other speaker pair, which are the Eminent Technology LFT VIIIA's upgraded with the new tweeter to the VIIIB standard.

Truth is I love them both- the Lorelis have more punch and dynamics, and are way better with bass. Oddly the ET's worked better for me in a smaller listening room, which seems sort of counter-intuitive. It had good punch, and went quite low, to the point where I thought a sub as a bit superfluous in that listening environment. But in the bigger room the Loreleis really go solidly deep, whereas the ET's sound a bit thin.

The Loreleis provide sufficient detail, but here the ET's will better it, though that can be up for argument- just depends on what you like. They both create a nice image, though the ET's might be just slightly more 3-dimensional (on some material the image can project even from behind the listener, which even the Loreleis can do, though not to the degree that the ET's can).

Having said all that, the ET's are not Magnepans, but they are planar (the midrange panels are closer to MG20's in design than 1.6's, or any other Maggie for that matter). I guess what I am getting at is that since I had my first pair of MGIII's, I thought I was a confirmed planar guy, but these Loreleis have proven to me that I can find happiness in the world of dynamic speakers as well- the Loreleis are extremely satisfying to listen to.

johzel

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2010, 11:40 pm »

Jeff

Question from a Wisconsin guy - Does Magnepan sell any of their returns or B-stock or blemished units etc. out of the factory??  For that matter, what do such companies do with those types of speakers . . . Many thanks.

irspectra

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2011, 10:45 pm »
I have to agree with Rondo, because I have the ET LFT8bs also. I recently heard the M. 1.7s and they sounded very well but does not provide the low end I needed with out adding some subs. IMO, the ETs imaged better. I also have them set in the high position for up to the 50k frequency range. In a good room you will hear harmonics in the upper extremes. What make these speakers so good is that you can set the frequency range to your liking ( low, med. and high by moving the hi-freq lead wire respectively. The specs on these are from 25khz to 50k. The Low Q 8 inch subs on these are very tight and tuneful, but you will have to have a great powerful amp because they are ony 83db efficient. If they have enough power to them they will sing like a lark. Most importantly, I have found that if you are using jumpers you should connect the speaker cables to the hifrequency post for better extention both ways.

2gumby2

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2011, 01:50 pm »

Help?

You'd probably be happy with either choice. I have the Kismet speakers which Klaus told me were like the Loreleis on steroids. The Kismets are the easiest speakers to set up that I've ever owned. I followed Klaus' advice on set up and they sound fantastic. I also like Magnepan speakers A LOT. If I can get another listening room in the future, I'll probably get some Magnepan 1.7s or Fritz Speakers Carbon 7s.

lazydays

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2011, 06:20 pm »

Help?

I listened to the new MG 1.7's a couple months ago, and they were not posted on good stands. The amp sucked (PS Audio). But I'm going to buy a pair. I like them better for my listening style of music. I've still not gotten used to all the added bass comming out of the Lorelis, and find it uncomfortable. But before actually do the deed, I'm going to try shrinking the rear port area about 30%. But to be honest with you, I really miss my Meadowlarks!
gary

jdodmead

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2011, 08:06 pm »
Which Meadowlarks did you have? I've got some Heron I's upstars and Lorelei's downstairs. Like them both.

Jeff

lazydays

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2011, 04:19 pm »
Which Meadowlarks did you have? I've got some Heron I's upstars and Lorelei's downstairs. Like them both.

Jeff

I had a pair of Kestrel Hot Rods in the lace wood finish. Sold them to a fellow Audiocircle member, and guess he liked them. When I bought them I was really looking for a pair of Shearwater Hot Rods. The sound was warm and very smooth. Just before I bought the Loreleis I was looking for a pair of Blue Herons, but I missed the last new pair by 45 minutes!
gary