Songtowers vs Iq9

aljthree

Songtowers vs Iq9
« on: 17 Jan 2010, 07:19 pm »
Wondering if anyone has compared these two directly. Was close to pulling the trigger on some IQ 9 or 90's, but have read so much about the ST's it seems like they might have what I like about the KEF's and then some.

Big Red Machine

Re: Songtowers vs Iq9
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2010, 10:04 pm »
I have IQ5's and 7's as surrounds and they are laughable in stereo as main units.  Not sure the config of the 9's so maybe apples to oranges.  The ST's will certainly smoke the 7's w/o even getting off the porch in the process.  The 5's and 7's are all I can afford right now.  I did try the 7's in my 2 channel rig and that, as I said, was laughable.  Really bad overall sound and no bass to speak of.  Go ST's.

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2010, 05:11 am »
I've heard none of the IQ speakers, but I've been around long enough to know that Big Red Machine has a good ear.  With that said, "what he said."  :)

aljthree

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2010, 10:13 pm »
Actually had a short pm chat with Mr. Salk himself, and will be ordering a set of stock ST's in a few weeks. Can't wait. Thanks for the feedback everyone.   :thumb:

BTW- it was Nuance's review over on  avs that got me headed in the right direction(free plug for ya Nuance)

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:38 am »
^ haha, thanks, aljthree.  I am very excited for you!  What veneer did you go with?

aljthree

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:58 pm »
Gonna go stock all the way for now, including black satin finish, which actually works with my room though. Going a little over my budget so keeping it stock is the best I can do for now.

taoggniklat

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2010, 10:01 pm »
Gonna go stock all the way for now, including black satin finish, which actually works with my room though. Going a little over my budget so keeping it stock is the best I can do for now.

The cool thing about stock is that they will sound the same as the more expensive finish. Putting the money into other componants in your system is not a negative trade-off.

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2010, 05:39 am »
The cool thing about stock is that they will sound the same as the more expensive finish. Putting the money into other componants in your system is not a negative trade-off.

True, true. 

aljthree,

The "stock" finish might surprise you, as its quite nice looking.  Enjoy!

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2010, 11:43 am »
Hi,

I'd rather go for the basic finish and be able to afford a really good quality speaker.  I'm really happy with my HT2's which totally outclass my nuforce s9 speakers.

Good luck.

Regards

Rod