Promitheus Phono Preamp

dem626

Promitheus Phono Preamp
« on: 13 Feb 2008, 12:43 pm »
Does anyone have experience with this phono preamp?   It looks pretty good to me (MM and MC stages with configurable gain, dual mono design, and separate PSU), but I don't have any experience with vinyl rigs.  Considering the quality and value of my TVC and Active Tube Preamp and the good results I have gotten, I figure Promitheus is a good place to start on my quest to build a vinyl rig.  I have no idea which TT or cartridge I will be buying now or in the future so I figure a flexible phono preamp is the way to go.  Opinions welcome.
Thanks,
Doug

jdechamp

Re: Promitheus Phono Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2008, 05:00 pm »
I have the Phono Pre-amp. I have replaced my old pre-amp (Audio Research SP-9) which has an internal phono section with a new pre-amp (Parasound JC-2) and the Promethius phono pre. I initially inserted the Promethius ahead of the AR, going into a line input. This resulted in an immediate improvement in low level detail and the sense of space on recordings. The Promethius was not fully broken in at this time.  I was able to hear further improvement in its sound once I connected it to the JC-2 and gave it time to get burned in. My current impression is that the detail level remained improved while not sounding at all hard or brittle. The sound stage is larger with a better sense of volume than I had previously, but I can't say if the JC-2 isn't at least partially responsible for this.
I have made some adjustments to gain and load and found the process pretty simple, but I'm still not clear on the functions of all the dip switches. Nicholas has promised a detailed diagram. Overall I am very happy with the unit. Sorry I don't have a better head to head comparison, but as no one else had spoken up on this I figured I would throw my two cents in.

Joe