Phono stage recommendations (giant killer?)

sabes

« on: 2 Feb 2006, 06:01 pm »
I'm looking for a phono stage for $1000 or less to pair with an audio refinement complete integrated, vintage thorens td-125mkII and tyler acoustics linbrook reference monitors. Thoughts/suggestions? Always looking for a giant-killer!

WEEZ

« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2006, 06:10 pm »
do you have a cartridge in mind?

WEEZ

sabes

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2006, 06:18 pm »
oh yeah; whoops. using a shure v15mr

John B

LordCloud

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2006, 06:21 pm »
I am personally either waiting for the new DIY Hi-Fi Supply Bix or dropping three times as much on a Teres.

sabes

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2006, 06:21 pm »
john b have you used either of the graham boxes?

sabes

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2006, 06:23 pm »
Quote from: LordCloud
I am personally either waiting for the new DIY Hi-Fi Supply Bix or dropping three times as much on a Teres.

Lord cloud: any word on when that bix is coming out? have you heard the old bix?

ricmon

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2006, 06:29 pm »
This box got good reviews.  I have to admit I never heard it but it reviewed well.  Alls I can say is that I have one of there TT and it's truly a giant kill big time (1Xpression)

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.949/it.A/id.2305/.f

good luck

dwc

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2006, 07:43 pm »
Can anyone comment on the following low-cost preamps?

- Hagerman Bugle
- Pro-Ject Phono Box mk2
- CI Audio VPP-1
- NAD PP-1

I know they're not exactly in the same ballpark wrt price, but anyone with experience care to comment?  

Thanks,
Dan

Carlman

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2006, 08:02 pm »
The Bugle in battery-op mode is the best phono stage under $500 I've heard.
The Eastern Electric Phono Preamp is the best I've heard.

I'm not a huge expert in phono preamps but I've heard enough to be satisfied recommending the above 2 phono preamps.

ohenry

Re: Phono stage recommendations (giant killer?)
« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2006, 08:16 pm »
Quote from: sabes
I'm looking for a phono stage for $1000 or less to pair with an audio refinement complete integrated, vintage thorens td-125mkII and tyler acoustics linbrook reference monitors. Thoughts/suggestions? Always looking for a giant-killer!

Hagerman Cornet kit.

BobM

« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2006, 08:18 pm »
Yes, the Bugle gets good reviews, but the Coronet kills it. it's well worth the extra bread, especially if you can put it together yourself with the recommended upgrades.

Enjoy,
Bob

sabes

« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2006, 08:30 pm »
Quote from: BobM
Yes, the Bugle gets good reviews, but the Coronet kills it. it's well worth the extra bread, especially if you can put it together yourself with the recommended upgrades.

Enjoy,
Bob

how involved a diy project is the cornet? level of diy-skill involved (i'm a pretty handy woodworker, but never have ventured into electronics)?

mr2channel

« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2006, 08:36 pm »
Quote from: dwc
Can anyone comment on the following low-cost preamps?

- Pro-Ject Phono Box mk2

- NAD PP-1

I know they're not exactly in the same ballpark wrt price, but anyone with experience care to comment?  

Thanks,
Dan

Well I have listened to both of these, and between the two, I would say the Pro-Ject , but if you can spend just a little extra the Rega phono stage is pretty good, as is the McCormick.  As far as a sub $1K pre, I have not demo'd that many, but from what I have heard I liked the sound of the Plinius Jarrah, very well balanced and lively...I am a blues/rock listener so it suited my taste.

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2006, 08:59 pm »
hello sabes, i am using a ps audio gcph right at 999.$ with my tyler linbrook signature system, music hall mmf 7 with benz glider m, with very good results,

BobM

« Reply #15 on: 2 Feb 2006, 10:03 pm »
Quote from: BobM

Enjoy,
Bob

how involved a diy project is the cornet? level of diy-skill involved (i'm a pretty handy woodworker, but never have ventured into electronics)?

If you have basic soldering skills (i.e. you can make a good, shiny join and not leave a cold join) and can follow a schematic and good step by step instructions, and have a basic voltmeter to test your progress - then this is not a difficult project. The layout leaves plenty of space and there's not an overly large number of components. The most complex part might be figuring out which lead on the trannie goes where - not too hard.

If you haven't tried soldering in a while, or are unsure of your skills, then you may want to practice with some wire and such before you put your money and solder onto a project that you expect to turn out good.

Enjoy,
Bob

lazydays

Re: Phono stage recommendations (giant killer?)
« Reply #16 on: 27 Mar 2006, 06:33 pm »
Quote from: ohenry

Hagerman Cornet kit.

I've been thru three or four phono stages in one form or another over the last five years. Picked up a used Wright WP100 a couple years ago, and fell in love with it. I know they have a WP200 out now, but can't complaign about what I've got. I did have to retube the power supply once
(uses 6E5 tubes if I remember right). At the time I was thinking about buying a Camelot Lancelot or the Plinius.
gary

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 27 Mar 2006, 08:49 pm »
Well, if you want to spend a lot less than $1000.00...the Rolls Bellari for $250.00 seems quite remarkable value.

One 6922, a headphone amp and, for goodness sakes, a useful rumble filter (we all have it - just look at those 'pumping' woofers in between cuts) that cuts everything off at 20hz and under.  At this price, fancy power supplies don't apply - but the rest of the package seems quite stellar.

The gain is a modest 30db, but the output of teh Shure is in the 3mv range - probably (tho you may want to ask manufacturer) more than okay

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=17013

Rumble is generated internally (in your TT), externally (feedback, microvibrations) and in the grooves themselves.  In all but the most expensive set-ups, a rumble filter is probably quite beneficial.

dwc

« Reply #18 on: 27 Mar 2006, 09:21 pm »
I've got a Rolls and it sounds nice. :)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #19 on: 27 Mar 2006, 09:59 pm »
Quote from: dwc
I've got a Rolls and it sounds nice. :)

There ya' go, a happy Rolls camper.

I can also vouch for the Dynaco PAS-4 preamp with MM phono (and second outputs) - there are a couple for sale well under the $1000.00 on Audiogon.

Swap out the 6922's for 6n1p's (cheap) and you're rolling with some of the best.  It's a fantastic preamp for the money.