Cartridge installation miracle

randytsuch

« on: 26 Aug 2005, 06:36 am »
OK, so here is my story.

Been putting a turntable together, returning to my roots, if you may.  Have not had a working turntable in maybe 20 years, since someone broke my last cartridge.

So, I am taking the easy way back ;).  

Last week, I built a corian plinth.  Mounted the platter from an old empire turntable I bought.

This week, I rewired my rega arm.

And tonight, the miracle.  I finished the rewire, and was installing the cartridge, a Dynavector 10X5.  I had one screw in, so I thought I was safe.  While installing the second screw, the 10X5 somehow came loose, and fell off.  

When it started to fall, I knocked it just enough so it landed stylus side up.  I looked at it, and the stylus was still straight, no apparent damage.

When it was falling, I was sure I had just lost $400, I still can’t believe it is OK.  

I still have to align it, and then I need to drag my home theater processor out to it, as my HT is the only preamp I have with a phono stage.  Building a new phono stage is my next project.

Randy

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2005, 03:42 pm »
I still break into cold sweats when mounting a cartridge. Just remember the Golden Rule in tonearm/cartridge setup, " Be of sober mind "
 When all is said and done then pour em or smoke em if you got em.

congrats on the still usable cart.