Micro-Seiki revisited

Aman

• http://www.mgforums.com
Micro-Seiki revisited
« on: 20 Jun 2005, 12:23 am »
So I informed you guys about my Micro Seiki MB-15 turntable that I had aquired, about three months ago. I didn't know a lot about turntables back then, so I assumed after a while that it was broken.
However, after using my Goldring GR1 table for a while, I inspected my MB-15 again and realized that it really didn't seem that anything was wrong with it.

Granted, I know that the cartridge and stylus will have to be replaced, but I don't see too much wrong with the arm or any of the settings that would make it play how it did.

It played strangely - for some reason, even after setting the arm, anti skate, etc. correctly, the record would play slightly slower than it should. I replaced the belt, and that didn't do anything.

The only other thing I could come to the conclusion of is that the antiskate wasn't set properly, or that the tracking rate wasn't set properly - but I don't know if either of these things would actually affect the speed at which the sound was reproduced.

So possibly, could the motor be just very worn, or maybe it needs to be I need to lubricate the bearing?

If anybody could help tell me what the possible things that could cause these symptoms are, I'd be very appreciative. I've been wanting to chuck this entry level Goldring table almost since I originally bought it.

Thanks guys!
-Andrew

Aman

• http://www.mgforums.com
Micro-Seiki revisited
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2005, 12:34 am »
UPDATE:

Do you guys at all know of a basis that I could set the antiskate at?

I know that you can set the arm so that when it is so that the stylus is 1mm above a record free-floating, you return it back to the base, rotate one more full turn, and then you can set the tracking to 2 - do you set the antiskate to the same thing?

Thanks!
-Andrew