Did I do good by buying this TT setup? What phono preamp?

merc

I have been looking for a TT setup which fit under my $1000 max budget but would give me the best performance I can buy. I posted my question on AA/Vinyl and got all kind of suggestions and started looking.

It seemed that every few days, I'd find a TT which I thought would be perfect... but, it seems like I was always one email too late.

Then, about an hour ago, I looked on Audiogon and found this Ad: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1121373933

I also saw that the guy selling it was local, so I could check it out before buying it and save on shipping by picking it up. I emailed him, and it is MINE!  :D

Now... I am wondering if I jumped the gun and bought this because I had missed out on so many others before... so, assuming that the ad is accurate, did I do good on buying this TT setup?

Should I upgrade the cartridge on this since I have $275 left to spend on my budget or is the Super Elys cart pretty good?

Finally, is there a phono preamp which mates well with this TT setup and costs under $500?

Thanks for your help and opinions on my almost "new" TT setup!

WEEZ

« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2005, 01:18 am »
Hey merc,

I'd say you did pretty good. The P25 is a good machine.

If I were you, I'd stay with the Super Elys if it's in good shape. As you may have read, Dynavectors are good mates with Rega's- but I wouldn't be in any hurry necessarily. Listen first, then decide.

If you go with a Dyna cart. in the future- you might want to audition the Dyna phono amp if you can. (P-75? I think?).

Take your time and enjoy...

WEEZ

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2005, 01:21 am »
hi merc,

i think you did fine with your choice  :) .  the cartridge from what i have read is a good quality one and i would put that towards finding a good quality phonostage.

i have had a musical fidelity phonostage and perreaux and think the hagtech is better and cheaper.  you could also look at a channel islands phonostage.

regards rod

merc

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2005, 02:41 am »
Thanks guys for the kind and very helpful words. :)

Hopefully, everything will be as it should when I get to see the gear and then I can take my time while I once again enjoy some vinyl bliss. I have a few old phono preamps(radio shack battery unit and a Parasound) laying around here somewhere that I can use till I get a good one.

Thanks again!

Musky_Don

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2005, 03:32 am »
Hi Merc,

My 2 cents - great buy!  I have  a Rega planar 25 and love it.  Nice TT for the money.  It sounds great with inexpensive carts and can really shine if you want to get in to isolating the TT and upgrading the cart to a couple times more $$$ than the TT.  I wish you nothing but analog bliss.

Don

merc

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2005, 12:48 pm »
It sounds great with inexpensive carts and can really shine if you want to get in to isolating the TT

The TT will be going into a built in rack, using the bottom shelf which is part of the entire wall structure. It is made of wood painted with enamel paint. The rest of the rack, other than the other bottom shelf, has glass shelves.

How would you isolate the TT in this situation? Would you build a platform(sand or gelatinous filled) of some sort or just use sorbothane or some other isolating feet?

Thanks for your help!

BTW... I thought about buying a Blue Circle phono preamp on Audiogon for $325, but when I inquired, it was gone.... maybe, in this case, I was lucky someone else bought it? ;)
I see there is also a Monolithic preamp setup on Agone now too... it might even be the one I sold six months ago... :)

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.uptownaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2005, 08:19 pm »
The P25 is a great table and easy to operate. It is rather impervious to vibration by itself, but a really resonant base is not good. If the shefl is sold and tight and does not have vibration to the touch when you crank the tunes, then you are in good shape. The Super Elys cartridge will be fine for now as others have said and if you like the overall tonal balance, then it may fit for years to come. The DV carts are great, but you will then need to get an arm spacer for the base of the arm to set the VTA properly as the DV carts are taller (as are about all other brands but Rega) than the Regas. Some DV carts require the 2mm spacer and some require the 4mm. You will also need to align the DV cart or other type that has only a two hole mounting. The beauty of the better Rega cartridges on a Rega arm is that they line-up perfectly with no special care, so you are good to go right now. Don't worry about adjustments as there are none to mess with with an all Rega system other than the basic arm balance and tracking force, anti-skating. None of those adjustments require tools and they are probably already set-up just right.
-Bill

merc

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2005, 12:42 am »
Thanks Bill!!!  :)