AVA Ultimate 70 amp question

MosDeaf

AVA Ultimate 70 amp question
« on: 12 Dec 2023, 06:28 pm »
Hello everyone, I'm new here when it comes to actually posting a question or thought and hopefully I'm in the right spot this time looking for an answer on this amp. Earlier this year I purchased an Ultimate 70 bare board and converted an old Super 70i I purchased on the used market. I really like a lot of things about this amp and I'm considering building another one.

I was reading over some old threads from back in 2009 where Frank had mentioned A Free Ultimate 70 upgrade. Basically disconnecting the 2 red transformer leads located where the old can filter was. Also disconnecting the single B+ wire in the same area. Then combining the 2 red transformer wires and putting them in the B+ hole. Taking the B+ wire and inserting it in one of the marked Red input holes. Making this small change supposedly made a great change in sound.

My question is, with these new bare boards for sale today will doing this little mod still give better results? Or are the new boards and build notes labeled for the best sound? Like I don't know if things were changed in the boards from 2009 to today where this mod doesn't need to be done. I don't want to harm anything obviously. Thanks for any answers or insight on this

MosDeaf

Re: AVA Ultimate 70 amp question
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2023, 06:56 pm »

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2023, 04:57 pm »
Hello MosDeaf,

That mod is no longer relevant with the new board. The mod/fix is built into the new board lay out.

Mary

MosDeaf

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2023, 05:22 am »
Thank you Mary. I believe you answered this for me in an email the other day but I wasn't sure if I explained it correctly and didn't want to bother you again. I truly appreciate you setting me straight on this topic.
Thanks 🙏