Testing 1,2,3 - EA Home Audition Pack

Sa-dono

« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2004, 09:23 pm »
George,

Very interesting about the dynamics. I guess I will have to try and hear the ECD-1. I already have plans to hear the latest Birdland. Was this with the Electrocompaniet preamp in your system, or did the Placette go back in (I can not recall if you already sold yours or not)?

With regards to the highs, detail, and musicality, did you try re-tuning your RM40's, or was this based on the settings with the ECD-1 in your system?

As far as musicality, I can certainly understand this. I have heard many players and DAC's that could be subjectively called more musical, and can draw you more into the music - but they tend to have a little "seasoning" through some added sweetness or warmth, in my experience. This can of course be a huge plus depending on your system or preferences.

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide, and for your impressions!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2004, 09:38 pm »
Sa-Dono,

All tests were with the EC 4.7, not with the Placette.  I didn't re-adjust the 40's (yes, that makes it a non-perfect test - but I was only going to go so far - especially with what I was hearing).

The goal of my audition was to try and see what differences I could hear between my stock ECD-1 and Steve's P3-A.  If I thought there was a good deal of improvement, I would have Steve modify my ECD-1 when funds allowed.  Since my whole system is balanced, there was never any thought of going the P3-A route since it is only single ended.

I have listened to the Birdland and didn't prefer it over the ECD-1 (maybe I just really, really like the sound it produces?).  I thought it was a little too dry and etched for my tastes.

Believe me, it hurt not being positive about something Steve built (he is a great guy and I love my S-7700).  But in the end, I felt I had to post even though it was negative.

George

Marbles

« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2004, 10:00 pm »
George,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to listen to the modded P3a and for your honest opinion of it.

Sa-dono

« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2004, 10:17 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Sa-Dono,

All tests were with the EC 4.7, not with the Placette.  I didn't re-adjust the 40's (yes, that makes it a non-perfect test - but I was only going to go so far - especially with what I was hearing).

The goal of my audition was to try and see what differences I could hear between my stock ECD-1 and Steve's P3-A. If I thought there was a good deal of improvement, I would have Steve modify my ECD-1 when funds allowed. Since my whole system is balanced, there was never any thought of going the P3-A route since it is only single ended.

I have listened to the Birdland and didn't prefer it over the ECD-1 (maybe I just really, really like the sound it produces?). I thought it was a little too dry and etched for my tastes.

Believe me, it hurt not being positive about something Steve built (he is a great guy and I love my S-7700). But in the end, I felt I had to post even though it was negative.

George

No worries George. It is all about honesty. There will always be different systems and tastes, and it is all about finding what works best in your system. :D

As far as the Birdland, did you hear the Odéon-Ag (1st or 2nd revision?), or have you heard the new Odéon-Pt? I am planning on hearing the new Odéon-Pt, which I am told is much improved...so all bets are off with comparisons to the Ag. :mrgreen: Even then, who knows, the ECD-1 just may be the bee's knees to you.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 16 May 2004, 10:25 pm »
It was the lastest version of the AG (unless a newer version has been launced in the last few months).

I brought this to Febraury NY Audio Rave gathering (as well as trying it in my system).  At the gathering it didn't stay in the rotation very long (for the reasons I mentioned).    

BTW, do you know how much the Birdland PT will retail for?  It sure looks sweet!

George

Sa-dono

« Reply #25 on: 17 May 2004, 04:33 am »
Quote from: zybar

BTW, do you know how much the Birdland PT will retail for?  It sure looks sweet!

I am unsure right now, but will find out when I audition the unit, hopefully later this week.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #26 on: 20 May 2004, 04:43 am »
As I begin tonite to pack up the Empirical Audio gear for shipping , ending my three week home audition, I'd like to say "thanks" to Steve Nugent for making this package available. It was a pleasure. :D
    And thanks go out to zybar/George for his one week of testing the equipement in his system. :beer: [/list:u]
      I will share my comments and results in a day or two. I'll write it up, then type it in. I did put a lot of late nite listening into this audition (seems people notice I'm up late :P ), testing various configurations, and playing a ton of cd's. All in all , it was fun and very informative on my end. There's nothing like a home audition to find out if something really works !  :) [/list:u]

lonewolfny42

« Reply #27 on: 23 May 2004, 05:08 am »
These are my comments and results of the three week audition I just finished with the Empirical Audio equipement. One week was given over to zybar/George to listen to the EA Turbomod P-3A.There will be no tech comments because,....I'm not a tech kind of person :lol: ....My comments will focus on whether I liked the sound of the equipement. And the sound I'm looking for is a detailed , full sound. I enjoy good imageing and a full soundstage.(Music was played at a 85db to 92db level, thats what the Rat Shack meter stated).
    I first compared the stock Sony 7700DVD player to the EA Turbomod 7700DVD. No contest, the stock player was flat sounding....dull. Hard to believe for a piece that went for over a grand new. The Turbo mod 7700 had life to it, bass very good, heard more details into the music. IMO , a very worthwhile upgrade !![/list:u]
      Next test, using the stock PT P-3A vs the EA Turbomod P-3A.The stock P-3A was paired with the stock 7700. Better sounding than just the 7700, but very bright. The EA Turbo P-3A and the EA turbo 7700 on the other hand, sounded excellent. I heard so much detail....real music. Everything opened up more. A winner ![/list:u]
        Now it gets interesting. Into the mix we bring the Electrocompaniet ECD-1 dac. This is my main dac now. Had it matched with the stock 7700 DVD. It sounded too mellow....nice...but soft sounding. I paired it up with the EA Turbomod 7700, and all of a sudden, it was a different dac. No longer the mellow fellow, it came alive. Details, soundstage, bass, depth, image...all improved. Now it was to compare the ECD-1 and the EA Turbomod p-3A, using the EA Turbomod 7700 as transport for both. Well, let me tell you, I switched back and forth and back and forth for about five days straight, with all sorts of music. [/list:u]The result...its a draw.... :nono: but using the EA Turbomod 7700 as transport only. The "stock 7700" with the ECD-1 did not sound as good as the EA Turbomod 7700 and P-3A.If I were in the market now for both a transport and dac, the EA combo is a winner! At least in my system.
          [/list:u]Since I own the ECD-1 and a stock 7700, I will be sending Steve my stock 7700 for the full mod. With that transport , I will equal the sound of the Turbo P-3A in my system....YMMV.
            [/list:u]I did not really run a test of EA's cables to my Ridge Street cables...as far as I could hear they were on even footing.
              [/list:u]I would say that any members seeking a very good trans/dac combo, get an audition of Empirical Audio's Turbo 7700 and P-3A. The only way to know if its right for you is to try it in your system. Thanks again Steve for making this audition possible ! :)

audioengr

« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2004, 04:26 pm »
Thanks Chris.  I was really expecting the Electro DAC to be similar to their CDP, the EMC-1.  Evidently the DAC is much better than the CDP.  There is a lot of improvement possible with the EMC-1.  This is good to know.  Now if I could just get someone to send me an Electro DAC to mod....

BTW - I am experimenting this weekend with a Superclock2 in one of my Sony 7700's.  So far, no improvement, but I am still tweaking.  The 12V power supply in the 7700 seems to be a weakness.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2004, 04:32 pm »
Steve,

I was going to send you my ECD-1, but now I think it would be too much of a risk.  Since I preferred the sound of the ECD-1 to your P3-A, I am not confident that there would be improvments or that they would be worth the cost.

According to Electrocompaniet, the ECD-1 dac is exactly the same one as used in their cd player.  

I still love your transport and might have it upgraded to the latest and greatest down the road.  I think I will wait till you make a few more changes to make it worth the trip across the country and back.

george

lonewolfny42

« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2004, 04:33 pm »
Quote from: audioengr
Thanks Chris.  I was really expecting the Electro DAC to be similar to their CDP, the EMC-1.  Evidently the DAC is much better than the CDP.  There is a lot of improvement possible with the EMC-1.  This is good to know.  Now if I could just get someone to send me an Electro DAC to mod....
Hi Steve,...If my ECD-1 we're the ginny pig for your experiment mod.....can I get a discount ??  :?  ...( that's the ny part in me :lol: )

audioengr

« Reply #31 on: 24 May 2004, 04:41 pm »
Chris - the first one modded ALWAYS gets a discount.  The first ZR1600 I modded was only 2/3 the final mod price for instance.  The first Electrocompaniet EMC-1 was only $1100 and the mod price is $1400.  I'll be fair.