Frustration at trying to sign up for AppleTV Plus

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Frustration at trying to sign up for AppleTV Plus
« on: 20 Oct 2021, 07:05 pm »
All I wanted was to see the new "Foundation" show.  I don't mind paying $4.99 a month.  I take Netflix and Prime.  So sign me up, dammit!  How hard can it be?  After creating an Apple ID, entering it and the password at least 10 times in different scenarios (even being told it is invalid in one scenario), I am finally told to download Itunes and then buy something that is "free" to create a payment method.  Nothing is free so I try to buy a Neil Diamond song for 69 cents.  After that it was just down another rabbit hole.  I am giving up.  No Foundation and Empire.  No new John Stewart show.  Anyone else think this is nuts?

routlaw

Re: Frustration at trying to sign up for AppleTV Plus
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2021, 07:13 pm »
I would give Apple Customer Support a call, have always found them to be helpful. You don't state whether or not you have an Apple TV and if I'm not mistaken you have to have one of those in order to subscribe to Apple TV+ programming. FWIW in my opinion there is a lot of really great content they are producing above and beyond Foundation. Regardless this is normally a very easy thing to sign up with. Based upon your description its not quite clear to me your methods.

beeah

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2021, 07:39 pm »
Both my wife and I have Apple accounts, and it was still a pain in the tuchus to sign up.  I am not a fan of Apple anything, to be honest, but it beats swimming upstream.

Not to rub salt in the wound, but my wife has been a HUGE fan of the Foundation/Empire/Robot series since she was a kid and has read them all several times over; I, on the other hand, am coming in completely cold - which probably serves me better (see also: The Shining).  We're only two episodes in, and while she says it's already jumping around a bit chronologically, I think she's far from being disappointed.  I already think it'll be a favorite of mine.

I'd say give it another go, if you have it in you.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2021, 11:41 pm »
As to my methods, generally I flail at the keyboard and cuss a lot, which sometimes work.  I followed your advice and called Apple support and it helped a bit.  Now I am required to open an itunes store account and in so trying  have reached a page requiring an entry, but no place to put my answer.  I'll call again tomorrow.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2021, 01:20 am »
Sometimes I have found that adblocker plugins like AdBlockPlus has stopped the required page, pop-up window or sign-in box from showing.
Malwarebytes Premium also includes the Malwarebytes Browser Guard which filters out malicious websites and other unwanted content.

When stuff doesn't work as it should then I temporarily disable ad-ons because no program is perfect.

And I like Foundation, it's worth the effort.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2021, 02:59 am »
After 4 days of trying (maybe an hour a day) I still have no solution to not having an Itunes store account.   I am trying to sign up through their ap on an Amazon firestick which is all set up but still will not work unless I have an itunes store account and all my attempts to do so have failed.  I tried signing up for a free episode of Foundation, but no can do with first having a serial number from a piece of apple gear.  I have had their reps on a screen share and had them say "That's odd - I've never seen that before"  or "Are you sure there's not a blue button in the upper right corner"  (there wasn't).  I am assuming there is something hidden in my PC that keeps it from working with iTunes.  But to go to another PC, set up another email address for apple ID, etc. is just too much trouble when they should just be able to get me on the phone or email and sign me up. I have an email response telling me what to do.  It does not work.  It cannot be this difficult.  Netflix managed.  Amazon managed.  Disney managed.  Thanks for listening to my rant.  I have no solution.

routlaw

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2021, 07:52 pm »
I'm stumped as to why you can not get this to work, normally its really quite easy although I do use an Apple TV 4K but apparently users do not have to own one of those to get this to work. There is some general info linked below regarding the service, written in Aug of 2021. It will not solve your problem but does illustrate the high quality of the streaming service apparently having bit rates way out past all others in the industry. I will say this, the image quality with an ATV 4K streaming their service looks amazing even on my projectors which none of them will render Dolby Vision. Might be worth double checking to see if the Amazon Firestick will actually work with this system.

Good luck trying to figure it out.

https://www.macworld.com/article/233186/apple-tv-plus-faq.html

avta

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2021, 03:46 am »
I believe you have to have Apple TV hardware to get Apple TV Plus. Google “ system requirements for Apple TV Plus. “ and I think that will help.

garyalex

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2021, 04:41 am »
Access to Apple TV+ content does not require an Apple TV.  It works very well on my Sony A8H TV which runs on Android. It does require an Apple account.  If you have a smart tv which allows you to add apps try that.  If not get a Roku.  Make sure it’s a model that supports Apple TV+.  “Foundation” is excellent, by the way.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2021, 04:33 pm by garyalex »

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2021, 05:28 am »
Glenn

If you have downloaded the Apple TV app from the Amazon App Store then just open up the Apple app on the Firestick and create an account or log in.  It should guide you through the payment screen to add your CC or Debit Card.  If you don't own an Apple device that requires an Apple ID like an iPhone or iPad using a Windows PC alone may not work. 

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2021, 03:58 pm »
Using Amazon Firestick - I have an ID... I have a password...I show Paypal as a payment method.  All to no avail.  So far I am still unable to set to an Itunes store account.  The necessary "squares" to check off to agree to their conditions don't appear on my computer screen.  I have had an Apple employee screen share and go"That's odd."  when they encounter the same on my screen.  My next attempt is to wait, cool down, and try a different computer - I have several non-apple devices.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2021, 04:40 pm »
Sounds like Apple doesn't want customers who aren't invested in all things Apple, again.

routlaw

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2021, 04:52 pm »
Its a long shot and I don't know what browser you are using, but do you have "block cookies" enabled on your browser while trying to do this. It might be worded a bit different depending on how you are accessing the system but the idea should make some sense. You might check all of your preferences within your browser to see what might be blocking the proper access, though it referred to something different on Windows I believe. Good luck.

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2021, 05:27 pm »
Are you using a browser to see the interface and sign-in? Safari? Chrome? Edge? Firefox? It all makes a difference.
Apple probably wants you to use Safari because of the JavaScript engine. In the old days some Microsoft designed sites didn't work right with Firefox.