The All New Derecho

PMAT

Re: The All New Derecho
« Reply #40 on: 2 May 2014, 04:45 pm »
That's a sweet 3D render of those speakers. :thumb:
I wouldn't have known it was a render if there wasn't any visible aliasing along the edges and the black around the driver surrounds wasn't so flat.
The finish combination IS awesome, though.
I think they photoshop the drivers into the cab. All the Salk pics look just like that.

OzarkTom

« Reply #41 on: 2 May 2014, 05:03 pm »
Thanks. Working with Ryan has been great.  We spent a lot of time looking at veneers.  When Ryan showed us the Walnut burl and paint combo we were sold.  I think the finish is killer.

Those look like a million dollars. :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #42 on: 2 May 2014, 08:10 pm »
Are the Derecho's going to RMAF?

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #43 on: 2 May 2014, 09:48 pm »
Are the Derecho's going to RMAF?

The speakers could certainly go but in all likelihood they won't be accompanied by Ryan or me.  If a manufacturer wants a dynamic set of speakers to show off their 18W SETs, like the Purity amps, Derecho will not disappoint.  But the thought of coming back to RMAF at this point is just not very appealing considering the time commitment when we have so many builds to fulfill.

So if any amp makers out there want something to show off their chops, drop us a line.  We'd be happy to send them out.

RDavidson

« Reply #44 on: 2 May 2014, 09:50 pm »
I think they photoshop the drivers into the cab. All the Salk pics look just like that.

No. Salk uses 3D renders too, actually. They might also use Photoshop for some post processing, but doubtful.

This stuff isn't obvious to those who don't use CAD / rendering software, but to those like me who use it daily, there are some dead giveaways. In the Vapor render, there are a few things I see, one which is the obvious lack of anti-aliasing happening on the edges (of the virtual speaker cabinets) and the way the rendering environment (ie the background photo) looks.

I'm not knocking anyone's work. In fact, there's really no more efficient way to experiment with designs, colors, finishes, etc. etc. I just thought it was funny how people were commenting how gorgeous the "speakers" are assuming they're seeing a photograph. Just saying that what you see sometimes isn't "real."

The car industry makes the most amazing renders. They REALLY blur the lines between photography and 3D rendering. The next time you open a car brochure, note that pretty much all the images are renders. Yeah, I know. Hard to believe. But trust me on this. Amazing stuff.

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #45 on: 3 May 2014, 01:48 pm »
Don't forget that sometimes what you see is real.
The eyes are much easier to fool than the ears.

branislav

« Reply #46 on: 4 May 2014, 02:29 am »
That dark Joule is absolutely gorgeous! Gotta hear it one day!

PMAT

« Reply #47 on: 4 May 2014, 03:03 am »
No. Salk uses 3D renders too, actually. They might also use Photoshop for some post processing, but doubtful.

How do they show real veneer in a rendering? Often that is the purpose of the image.

srb

« Reply #48 on: 4 May 2014, 03:12 am »
How do they show real veneer in a rendering? Often that is the purpose of the image.

A real photo of the veneer is texture mapped onto the 3D wireframe object.

Steve

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #49 on: 4 May 2014, 03:49 pm »
OK, so that really wasn't a very good hint.

The Salk "photos" are actually photos.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #50 on: 4 May 2014, 06:01 pm »
OK, so that really wasn't a very good hint.

The Salk "photos" are actually photos.

It's obvious that Salk's pics are all photos, to me at least.  Yeah, they've been modified to remove the background, but so what?  People just want an idea of what they're getting, and renders are certainly a great way to have a look at something that doesn't yet exist.  That Joule render is obvious to me knowing what a real RAAL tweeter looks like.  What I love about it is the paint and veneer rendering which is very good.  And that alone was the whole point, to see what a Joule looks like in another finish.

I can't wait to see it for real here in a couple weeks.  Should be stunning!

I'd like to see a render of Derecho in a painted and veneered version.  That's a lot of cabinet, a big canvas for a real artisan to work with.  Stacked ply is cool too, especially when dyed and clear gloss top coated.

RDavidson

« Reply #51 on: 4 May 2014, 06:26 pm »
It's obvious that Salk's pics are all photos, to me at least.  Yeah, they've been modified to remove the background, but so what?  People just want an idea of what they're getting, and renders are certainly a great way to have a look at something that doesn't yet exist.  That Joule render is obvious to me knowing what a real RAAL tweeter looks like.  What I love about it is the paint and veneer rendering which is very good.  And that alone was the whole point, to see what a Joule looks like in another finish.

Pete, I was never bashing anyone's work whether virtual or real, and I even brought up the same exact point that working in the virtual realm is the most efficient / effective way to experiment with forms and finishes. I thought I made this quite clear. As I work in CAD (SolidWorks) and make photo realistic renders daily, I always get a kick when people believe they are seeing a photo when it is actually a render. In many cases, one really needs a trained eye or an understanding of the software used. I was only pointing out what people were actually seeing and commenting on, for no other reason than to help them understand "the magic." The fact that Salk and Vapor work this way, as they are confident they can meet or exceed what they show in the virtual realm, is awesome. This is a true complement as you can make things in the virtual realm, essentially "perfect." I was never trying to allude that Salk or Vapor is trying to pull wool over anyone's eyes or that their work is somehow not good. So let's put the real / virtual vs photo / render thing to rest. Sorry for derailing the thread. That was never my intent. :thumb:

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #52 on: 4 May 2014, 06:38 pm »
Yeah Pete, I agree, these renderings are really beautiful.
Not knockin' the photos either.

pconley2

« Reply #53 on: 5 May 2014, 08:01 pm »
DPatters:

Don, it is very likely that the second pair of Joules (the white ones) are going home with me from The Newport Show.  I am in discussion with Ryan about how to do that.  I would love to understand your perceptions of the Joules, I have extremely high expectations for them but I have never heard them.  What I have read on this site, as well as on many other places, as well as my interaction with Ryan, has lead me to believe that these are the speakers that I have been looking for at the price that I can afford.  If you have any thoughts about why you chose these speakers I would love to talk with you about that.

I live in the SF Bay area, and assuming that I bring them home (which I assume I will), I would be happy to let any Bay Area come and listen.

Phil

wisnon

mav52

« Reply #55 on: 10 May 2014, 12:36 pm »
Pete, I was never bashing anyone's work whether virtual or real, and I even brought up the same exact point that working in the virtual realm is the most efficient / effective way to experiment with forms and finishes. I thought I made this quite clear. As I work in CAD (SolidWorks) and make photo realistic renders daily, I always get a kick when people believe they are seeing a photo when it is actually a render. In many cases, one really needs a trained eye or an understanding of the software used. I was only pointing out what people were actually seeing and commenting on, for no other reason than to help them understand "the magic." The fact that Salk and Vapor work this way, as they are confident they can meet or exceed what they show in the virtual realm, is awesome. This is a true complement as you can make things in the virtual realm, essentially "perfect." I was never trying to allude that Salk or Vapor is trying to pull wool over anyone's eyes or that their work is somehow not good. So let's put the real / virtual vs photo / render thing to rest. Sorry for derailing the thread. That was never my intent. :thumb:

After seeing both products at various shows RMAF for one, the merchandise looks even better in person. Both companies do magic with wood.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #56 on: 10 May 2014, 03:29 pm »

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio