Bizarre Ground(?) / Static(?) problem.

alphacourt

Bizarre Ground(?) / Static(?) problem.
« on: 19 Jul 2008, 09:58 pm »
I've just had an OL1 (plus all wiring upgrades) with Dynavector 10X5 fitted on my Technics SL1200MK2, the work was actually done by Mark @ Origin Live. Ever since the first play I've had a strange problem that never occurred with the old TT configuration. After a week of hunting around for tips on the internet, various experiments and even a phone call to OL the problem still persists and I'm getting a little peeved after what was, for me, an expensive upgrade. Maybe someone has experienced something like this?

The main problem is when taking records off the platter, a split second after lifting i getting a loud crack (discharge?) through my speakers. This never happened before the new arm was fitted. There is absolutely no static crackle whilst the records are playing, everything sounds great, I'm concerned about these "after cracks". I'm using the stock Technics rubber mat, planning on getting a Achromat next month (if i haven't thrown it all out the window!). The TT, which i've had for 8 years now, is sat, for the moment, on an IKEA Laak cabinet as it has been for over a year now. The room is 1 st floor, suspended wood floor.

Recording of the problem here (wav file 337kb) http://www.sendspace.com/file/ehshug

The second problem is static, from out of the blue, never had static problems before. I've taken records off the shelf that I'm 100% sure are static free (skin/hair test) and after playing them you can just feel the static from holding the vinyl. The problem is much, much worse after "trying" using the Exstatic brush, getting many very loud cracks whilst in contact with record and again you can feel the static in your hands.

Got some Permostat in the post today and just tried various things.
1) Static free record straight off the shelf. Treated. Same static crack when lifting from the platter.
2) A record i played a couple of days ago with bad static from the TT. Treated. Failed... the record was still static ridden after playing.
3) Used Exstatic brush resulting in cracks and extra static. Treated record. No change.

OL suggested a strip of foil connecting the record with the platter underneath the mat. Didn't work. The foil sticks to the record everytime.

There have been no drastic atmos changes in my room and any that might have happened must have mysteriously coincided with my trip to OL!. No strange weather recently. I've even tried boiling the kettle in the room a few times to hopefully remove any static. Tried grounding myself before touching the TT. I'm making a tin foil hat (with viking horns) at the moment.

Could it be that the TT is making and retaining static somehow? Or is it a mains or ground problem (the loud cracks) and nothing to do with static at all?

It's all VERY frustrating  :|

cascais

Re: Bizarre Ground(?) / Static(?) problem.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2008, 11:10 am »
Hi - It sounds to me as if you have a case of static electricity from your turntable. I had a similar problem--crackle from the record when I lifted it off the platter, but not through the speakers. I solved the problem by running a second ground wire from the arm to the preamp ground. As a result, the crackle went away even though the records retained a charge. By the way, I always turn my volume down when changing a record so that is probably why I did not hear the crack from the speakers. A good precaution.

From time to time I have static electricity on some records and usually live with it until it goes away. Check the humidity in your house. If too dry you get static electricity.

Cheers, John

alphacourt

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2008, 05:43 pm »
Thanks for replying, John.

Pleased to report that this is now fixed with a little internal grounding. Frustrating couple of weeks as i never known a turntable do that. Happy shopper now though  :D

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2008, 07:06 pm »
What no pics or write up of the cure, come on a little more info well help the next guy along.

ed

Thanks for replying, John.

Pleased to report that this is now fixed with a little internal grounding. Frustrating couple of weeks as i never known a turntable do that. Happy shopper now though  :D

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2008, 07:37 pm »
It does sound like an incomplete re-wiring job and glad the second wire from tone arm to ground fixed it. Afterall, draging a diamond across vinyl in itself creates static electricity. With it having no-where to go, you had a gigantic disc capacitor in front of you, discharging to the spindle when you took the record off.

I always mist my Dishwasher D3 brush with an alcohol/water solution and "damp brush" the record surface before I play. It does 2 things. First it will neutralize the static pockets scattered around the grooves, and secondly, helps keep the surface clean as a whistle. All of my records have become "slippery" and that helps keep static generation down.

Happy spinning!

Wayner

alphacourt

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2008, 08:17 pm »
What no pics or write up of the cure, come on a little more info well help the next guy along.

I ended up taking the table back to Origin Live who did the fix. I'm not good with electronics. I am good at collecting records though, it's been a great weekend of spinning!

Thanks, all!

alphacourt

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2008, 08:22 pm »
I always mist my Dishwasher D3 brush with an alcohol/water solution and "damp brush" the record surface before I play. It does 2 things. First it will neutralize the static pockets scattered around the grooves, and secondly, helps keep the surface clean as a whistle. All of my records have become "slippery" and that helps keep static generation down.

I was getting some BAD static on my records from the TT. All gone now, although it seemed to take around 24 hours after getting the table back for it to drain away.

I've been using a Microfibre cloth with a little HMV Record Cleaning Fluid. Leaves the record spotless, not one speck of dust (or dreaded white dust line ala carbon fibre brush).

I'm watching Rufus & Chaka Khan's Masterjam LP in the lamp light. It's 29 years old and looks mint. Sounds even better  :D

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2008, 10:03 pm »
Good deal alphacourt and welcome to the Audiocircles, BTW.

Wayner  :D

alphacourt

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2008, 05:46 pm »
Good deal alphacourt and welcome to the Audiocircles, BTW.

Wayner  :D

Thanks, Wayner  :D

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2008, 09:28 pm »
Well I went thru about 3 months of hum in my Technics only to find out from another member that the cartridge I was using had a recall, it was defective! Getting replacement carts fixed that in a big time, but who whould ever know. That is why the group here at AC is a bigtime support group for all kinds of troubles and woes. Most of us have seen one weird thing or another. It's good to help each other out.

W

alphacourt

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2008, 10:03 pm »
I saw that there is a thread about your hum-woes, Wayner. I'll have to check it out in full.

Next job. Digitising my vinyl collection (loseless files, of course). Most of it totally unavailable on CD. I'm all about music on the move and at work too.

alphacourt

« Reply #11 on: 5 Aug 2008, 05:46 pm »
Well i've had some furniture delivered for my music room, this includes an Ikea Traby unit for the amp and TT and dedicated listening seat. I've now been able to set up the room how i've wanted it for a long time. I've repositioned my speakers. It's a little unconventional but the room isn't the ideal shape and my ears have suffered a little with being exposed to some loud club rigs over the past 20+ years. The Dynavector is really singing now. I've been sat playing some incredible electronic Reggae (by some of the greatest modern day sonic craftsmen - http://www.discogs.com/artist/Rhythm+%26+Sound) and i'm quite blown away by it all.

2 words. Very pleased  :D