cartridge upgrade

mintchris

cartridge upgrade
« on: 16 Oct 2012, 01:30 am »
I have a Pro-ject XpressionIII turntable and I am looking for a meaningful sonic upgrade.
Budget is around $600, need to be high output. I have it narrowed down between the
Ortofon 2M Black and Grado Sonata1. Any thoughts or other suggestions?
I am currently using the 2M Red that came with the table. I do prefer a warm sound.
Thanks!

orthobiz

Re: cartridge upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2012, 01:43 am »
I have a Grado Sonata on my VPI HW19 and I have hum. I have the high output version. VPI offers a Sonata with an intermediate output and I wonder if it avoids the hum issue. Lots written here and elsewhere about hum; I have no axe to grind. I think it has to do with motor shielding as the cartridge is not shielded.

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:40 am »
I have read many times that Grados are susceptible to hum in certain set-ups. I would Google around and see if that has been an issue with your table model or not.

At your budget, I think you will have a lot of nice MM or MI options, and some good HOMC and LOMC ones too.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2012, 03:39 am »
I'd say pretty different cartridges the 2M Black & the Grado Sonata.  My personal experience has been w/ the lower rung in these series : 2M Blue & Grado Gold Prestige, so don't know how 100% directly transferable to these.  The obvious difference Gold vs Sonata is the housing, but otherwise they are similar engines.  Blue vs Black, also better housing for Black, but also top of the line needle.

The Grado Gold - and I imagine the Grado Sonata - are going to be a lot warmer than the 2M Black.  If that's very important for you, then the Grado.  I personally liked the 2M Blue more than the Grado Gold.  More speed / attack / rhythm.  As pleasant as the Gold was - and could produce real magic on the mid-range sometimes - I could not accept a cartridge that couldn't swing.  I also didn't find the 2M's to be too bright - though compared to the opposite extreme that is Grado, I could see why some might think different.

Either honestly is probably a good choice, but based on the above, best to decide what's most important to you & what compromises you're willing to make.  Unfortunately it seems to me until you get to $1K+ for a cartridge, compromises have to be made.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2012, 04:33 am »
I don't understand the hum issue.  My Grado Sonata Ref is very satisfying in anyway I could describe.  But, I wouldn't kick a number of others out of bed.  Moving coils, that is.

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2012, 04:36 am »
I don't understand the hum issue.  My Grado Sonata Ref is very satisfying in anyway I could describe.  But, I wouldn't kick a number of others out of bed.  Moving coils, that is.

Well, then I'd guess you are one of the folks lucky enough to have a table where there are no hum problems. Google "Grado hum" and see what comes up...

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2012, 04:37 am »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2012, 04:47 am »
Guess so.  Best wishes to the OP.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2012, 05:08 am »
Have you looked at or heard the Sumiko Blue Point Special? http://www.sumikoaudio.net/sumikocartridges/prod_bluepointspecial.htm. It is a HOMC and a fine cartridge IMO.

Minn Mark

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2012, 04:18 pm »
I have an Ortofon 2M Red on a SOTA Comet.   Do 2M Black users really feel it is finicky with respect to azimuth, SRA, etc like some of the reviews have indictated.? I'm more a set-it-and-forget it type, but would change for the 2M Black if the performance is really lots better.  I can set arm height manually on my tonearm. I usually use a Geo-Disc, and have a good scale. Thanks.

Mark

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2012, 04:57 pm »
I have a Pro-ject XpressionIII turntable and I am looking for a meaningful sonic upgrade.
Budget is around $600, need to be high output. I have it narrowed down between the
Ortofon 2M Black and Grado Sonata1. Any thoughts or other suggestions?
I am currently using the 2M Red that came with the table. I do prefer a warm sound.
Thanks!

Hi and welcome,
According to the data base you'll have no problem with a Grado.  If you're familiar with the Grado sound and like a Prestige series, the Sonata 1 should be a nice improvement.  I think it's safe to say that it's a warmer sound than the Ortofon 2M Black, not that the Ortofon is harsh or strident.  It's one of the most respected current HO carts.  You should consider the Nagaoka MP-500 also. It might be slightly warmer than the Ortofon.  I haven't heard the 500, but its predecessor the MP-50 was nice.  You can see all 3 here:
http://www.lpgear.com/product/NAGAOKAMP500.html

neo

Sonny

« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2012, 05:37 pm »
I have a friend that has a ortofon 2M black with like 20 hours on it.  he got a new table, the Amadeus and upgraded to the Dynavector XX2.  If interested, PM me and I'll connect you two.
T