Why it is a bad idea to play your records WET

cheap-Jack

Re: Why it is a bad idea to play your records WET
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov 2011, 05:45 pm »
Hi.
I never heard of wet playing a record until reading this thread.

Never too late. Why not try it out & get unexpected sonically better results like what I did years back. I'm so glad I tried it & am a very happy camper since that day. I can't go back to dry play as my picky ears don't allow me.

For whoever wants to try wet play, please make sure to use steam distilled water or reverse-osmosis distilled water, avaiable very affordably in bulk bottle from drug or grocery stores. Apply it onto the spinning records with a large painter nylon brush. NO no tape water, please. That's what I do day in day out.

After use, make sure to swipe dry the record with a lint-free cloth & let it air dry before putting it back to its sleeves.

For wet played records, make sure they are stored in PAPER sleeves, no plastics. Paper sleeves will allow any moisture trapped inside the vinyl grooves to evaporate thru & escape into the air.

So no moth can grow on the records, which many vinyl fans worry.

Also dust will not stick onto the records stored inside their sleeves or while pulling out from their sleeves due to the very small trace of moisture may still there.

In fact, I seldom need to use my record cleaning brush ever since I wet play my LPs.

c-J
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." quoted Albert Einstein.

audiobat

« Reply #21 on: 16 Nov 2011, 06:07 pm »
What benefits do you hear?
I have heard of people using Wendex to play records wet, however I have no experience with it.

I have used Clearaudio "Pure Groove" record cleaning fluid with about the best result so far in 30 years of vinyl playback.
Only problem is it is hard to get in the USA.

*Scotty*

« Reply #22 on: 16 Nov 2011, 06:11 pm »
See this link to the Van Den Hul website. Wet replay and the corrosion problems associated with it are discussed. A.J. Van Den Hul's take on this practice is not to start in the first place.
 It is also a good source for a lot of information about vinyl replay in general.
Highly recommended.
http://www.vandenhul.com/userfiles/docs/Phono_FAQ.pdf
Scotty

BobM

« Reply #23 on: 16 Nov 2011, 07:30 pm »
Forget about the potential record wear when playing wet. What about the damage to your stylus when the liquid finds its way up the cantilever? Isn't that the chief complaint from cartridge makers about wet "washing" your stylus using Last stylus cleaner or somethign similar? If that little bit of moisture causes them concern then I can't imagine what a wet splashy record does to them.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #24 on: 16 Nov 2011, 07:46 pm »
HI.
See this link to the Van Den Hul website. Wet replay and the corrosion problems associated with it are discussed. A.J. Van Den Hul's take on this practice is not to start in the first place.
Scotty
I think you still don't get the messsage from my previous posts to you.

Say, supposing you walked into a TV store one day & asked advice from the sales guy about repairing yr old TV. I think he would tell you to dump the old TV & to buy a new one from the TV store. Why? He wanted to sell you a TV to make a profit. There is a clear money interest in that sales guy. It is up to the consumer to size up the situation to buy one or to fix the old one.

A manufacturer gets the liability ot warrant its products, which are phono cartridges in this case. If I were it, you think I would tell the consumers to wet play their cartridges, risking free repair or even replacement under warranty? Even if the cartridges are supposedly built to withstand moisture/wetness  which is always there even for dry plays, the manufacturer will always play safe to get out of undue troubles.

Now my cheapie no-name MM cartridge can play wet for years even on heavily pre-used recyled vinyls which I picked from thrift stores. So far not there is no sign of physical damage & it sounds not worse if not better. So why a high-end expensive brandname phono cartrdige can't do the same like my cheapie cartridge if not better ??????

Beware of sales pitches, my dear consumers.

c-J

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #25 on: 16 Nov 2011, 08:09 pm »
HI.I think you still don't get the messsage from my previous posts to you.

Say, supposing you walked into a TV store one day & asked advice from the sales guy about repairing yr old TV. I think he would tell you to dump the old TV & to buy a new one from the TV store. Why? He wanted to sell you a TV to make a profit. There is a clear money interest in that sales guy. It is up to the consumer to size up the situation to buy one or to fix the old one.

A manufacturer gets the liability ot warrant its products, which are phono cartridges in this case. If I were it, you think I would tell the consumers to wet play their cartridges, risking free repair or even replacement under warranty? Even if the cartridges are supposedly built to withstand moisture/wetness  which is always there even for dry plays, the manufacturer will always play safe to get out of undue troubles.

Now my cheapie no-name MM cartridge can play wet for years even on heavily pre-used recyled vinyls which I picked from thrift stores. So far not there is no sign of physical damage & it sounds not worse if not better. So why a high-end expensive brandname phono cartrdige can't do the same like my cheapie cartridge if not better ??????

Beware of sales pitches, my dear consumers.

c-J

If your cantilever is aluminum, and tubular in shape, it carries residual stress. All tubes do. The outer part is stretched, the innner part is compressed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_corrosion_cracking

I ain't sellin nothin...........just the facts.

*Scotty*

« Reply #26 on: 16 Nov 2011, 11:29 pm »
Marc, I think a key thing to remember is that cheap-jack is not pursuing vinyl replay from a "High End" perspective. If his cantilever ever breaks he can replace the entire phono cartridge for little more than $30.
 This obviously not the same consequence that some who has a $5,495 Shelter Harmony Carbon Fiber phono cartridge risks if they play wet. Thats a $3,710 for an exchange/retip.
cheap-jacks criteria for what constitutes an acceptable risk to his phono cartridge and records are quite different from someone who has sunk thousands of dollars into High Fidelity vinyl replay.
Scotty

Wayner

« Reply #27 on: 16 Nov 2011, 11:51 pm »
Cheap-Jack did not start this thread, and was attacked from the beginning for his opinions. There has not been any proof presented so far that disclaims his or other theories on wet playback.

The short piece of info that Scotty provided has no author that I could find, nor is the findings accepted as fact, nor has it been evaluated with current technology. There are many contradictions on the topic. A superior (and expensive) cartridge should be able to withstand 100% humidity, and that would also include wet playback, at least in my thinking.

The melt/solidify theory in my opinion is a bit off the wall, and if it were true, then LPs would self heal with repeated playback, and I don't think that is the case at all. Once damaged, damaged for life.

I am still not convinced one way or the other.

Wayner  8)

*Scotty*

« Reply #28 on: 17 Nov 2011, 02:16 am »
The information I posted came from the Handbook for Sound Engineers
http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Sound-Engineers-Fourth-Ballou/dp/0240809696/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321492338&sr=1-1-spell
The chapter on Disk Recording and Playback was written by George Alexandrovich

I apologize for not providing more background on the information I posted earlier.
As far as the cheap-jacks treatment is concerned, HE was not attacked.
 An attempt was made to present evidence that wet playback had been thoroughly evaluated in the past and it was discovered that accelerated record wear occurred as a result.
A superior (and expensive) cartridge should be able to withstand 100% humidity,and that would also include wet playback,at least in my thinking.
A.J. van den Hul disagrees with you.
 Scotty

Wayner

« Reply #29 on: 17 Nov 2011, 12:59 pm »
Sorry Scotty, "attacked" was a bit strong.

Wayner

BaMorin

« Reply #30 on: 17 Nov 2011, 02:32 pm »
Marc, I think a key thing to remember is that cheap-jack is not pursuing vinyl replay from a "High End" perspective. If his cantilever ever breaks he can replace the entire phono cartridge for little more than $30.
 This obviously not the same consequence that some who has a $5,495 Shelter Harmony Carbon Fiber phono cartridge risks if they play wet. Thats a $3,710 for an exchange/retip.
cheap-jacks criteria for what constitutes an acceptable risk to his phono cartridge and records are quite different from someone who has sunk thousands of dollars into High Fidelity vinyl replay.
Scotty

We are on the same exact page here. Although I don't have anywhere near that in my cart but, $30.00 won't replace the stylus on mine either.

BaMorin

« Reply #31 on: 17 Nov 2011, 02:37 pm »
The information I posted came from the Handbook for Sound Engineers
http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Sound-Engineers-Fourth-Ballou/dp/0240809696/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321492338&sr=1-1-spell
The chapter on Disk Recording and Playback was written by George Alexandrovich

I apologize for not providing more background on the information I posted earlier.
As far as the cheap-jacks treatment is concerned, HE was not attacked.
An attempt was made to present evidence that wet playback had been thoroughly evaluated in the past and it was discovered that accelerated record wear occurred as a result. A.J. van den Hul disagrees with you.
 Scotty

OH, I can agree with that concept. Water under an additional 1 atmosphere of pressure becomes a solid.
IE, you can't compress a liquid. Water in the groove at point of contact with the tracing parts of the stylus most certainly would become solid at that point. I'm sure that would have to increase the load impact energy.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #32 on: 17 Nov 2011, 03:20 pm »
HI. Wayner.
Sorry Scotty, "attacked" was a bit strong.
No, I can see it not Scotty's intention to attack me.

He poured out all those so called "evidence" to me simply because, IMO, he believes in what he read bad about wet play WITHOUT screening, digesting & vertifying such negative allegation like I have done.

I read enough bad things about wet play like every vinyl fan here, but the difference is I wanted to try it to prove or disprove such claim given, Scotty is correct, the MM cartridge I am using is cheapie enough to be replaced without pain & the burning issue of killing those click & pop tracking noises which I had to resolve.

Unexpectedly, the WET play I experimented & have been using since day one for years is a total success - killing the tracking prick & pop & making the music sound much more fluid, silky & warm vs dry play with a cheapie no-name cartridge only.

It has also disproved ALL those negative claims on wet play, IMO.

Let's take a close look at the paper posed by Scotty. This HISTORIC paper was written about half century back when phono cartridges were made so much inferior in quality to those made today.

I would consider whatever stated therein is no longer valid considering today's phono cartridges are built of much higher performance, e.g. moisture & wetness resistance. Otherwise, how can my cheapie cartridge have survived tracking in water day in day out for years ???? Not to mention ahout those very high-end brandname cartridges built of 24 Carat gold coils etc etc.

c-J
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." quoted Albert Einstein.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #33 on: 17 Nov 2011, 03:50 pm »
HI.
Forget about the potential record wear when playing wet. What about the damage to your stylus when the liquid finds its way up the cantilever? Isn't that the chief complaint from cartridge makers about wet "washing" your stylus using Last stylus cleaner or somethign similar? If that little bit of moisture causes them concern then I can't imagine what a wet splashy record does to them.

You believe in hearsays & sales pitches? I don't & I have disproved all those claims with my wet play success. Please read my post below.

c-J

cheap-Jack

« Reply #34 on: 17 Nov 2011, 03:58 pm »
HI.
If your cantilever is aluminum, and tubular in shape, it carries residual stress. All tubes do. The outer part is stretched, the innner part is compressed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_corrosion_cracking

I ain't sellin nothin...........just the facts.
"The fact" about my years wet play is:-
(1) there is NO repeat no damage done to my cheapie MM cartridge
     after wet play for years.
(2) No record damage at all to my many hundreds of vinyls, bought recyled & brandnew todate.

All those claims on wet plays are scarecrows !!

c-J

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #35 on: 17 Nov 2011, 04:03 pm »
HI. Wayner.No, I can see it not Scotty's intention to attack me.

He poured out all those so called "evidence" to me simply because, IMO, he believes in what he read bad about wet play WITHOUT screening, digesting & vertifying such negative allegation like I have done.

I read enough bad things about wet play like every vinyl fan here, but the difference is I wanted to try it to prove or disprove such claim given, Scotty is correct, the MM cartridge I am using is cheapie enough to be replaced without pain & the burning issue of killing those click & pop tracking noises which I had to resolve.

Unexpectedly, the WET play I experimented & have been using since day one for years is a total success - killing the tracking prick & pop & making the music sound much more fluid, silky & warm vs dry play with a cheapie no-name cartridge only.

It has also disproved ALL those negative claims on wet play, IMO.

Let's take a close look at the paper posed by Scotty. This HISTORIC paper was written about half century back when phono cartridges were made so much inferior in quality to those made today.

I would consider whatever stated therein is no longer valid considering today's phono cartridges are built of much higher performance, e.g. moisture & wetness resistance. Otherwise, how can my cheapie cartridge have survived tracking in water day in day out for years ???? Not to mention ahout those very high-end brandname cartridges built of 24 Carat gold coils etc etc.

I'm still not saying anything for or against wet play. It's just that supporting arguments don't mean much. What kind of cheapie cart are we talking about here, and what length of time is years?  Most carts, even expensive ones don't have gold coils but the wire is lacquered like a speaker coil. Connector wires are normally copper, but how about the magnets?

I think the question arises of just how much liquid is on the record and the likelihood of it wicking up the cantilever. If the cart is that cheap, could it have started deteriorating and you not realize it?  If this is safe, have you used more expensive carts for this, or too risky?  You talk about 50 yr old carts being made so much cheaper and inferior to today's. It's not true. Nothing much has changed in that respect as long as we're talking about magnetic carts.
neo

Wayner

« Reply #36 on: 17 Nov 2011, 04:39 pm »
Since the stylus/cantilever are vibrating like a mad-man (or like a dog shaking off water), I don't think water has any time to wick up.

I also assume that there is a towel near-by to clean and dry the record after each play.

Wayner

Quiet Earth

« Reply #37 on: 17 Nov 2011, 05:57 pm »
What about the damage to your stylus when the liquid finds its way up the cantilever? Isn't that the chief complaint from cartridge makers about wet "washing" your stylus using Last stylus cleaner or somethign similar?

If I remember correctly, the warning about Last stylus cleaner was that it will eventually "creep". Supposedly the residue (or the chemical reaction?) from Sty-Last will gradually make its way up the cantilever and cause problems elsewhere with the cartridge. I don't remember what the problems were, or if it was even a true statement in the first place. Maybe someone else does.

the WET play I experimented & have been using since day one for years is a total success - killing the tracking prick & pop & making the music sound much more fluid, silky & warm vs dry play with a cheapie no-name cartridge only.

Just wondering if you had a better cartridge to begin with, i.e., one that tracks the groove better in the first place, would you get as much benefit from the wet playback technique? The reason I ask is because many tweaks that improve lesser made gear actually interfere with better made gear.

BTW, I realize that I need to try wet playback for myself to see what it's all about. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm.  Now all I need is some distilled water and a paint brush, right?

Since the stylus/cantilever are vibrating like a mad-man (or like a dog shaking off water), I don't think water has any time to wick up.

Maybe not time to wick up, but wouldn't it create a fine mist below the cartridge? Would that create a micro climate of increased humidity? I see how that could be good for reducing static, but bad for minimizing corrosion.

On the other hand, how long will a cartridge last anyway?  :scratch:

cheap-Jack

« Reply #38 on: 17 Nov 2011, 07:59 pm »
Hi.
(1) Since the stylus/cantilever are vibrating like a mad-man (or like a dog shaking off water), I don't think water has any time to wick up.
(2) I also assume that there is a towel near-by to clean and dry the record after each play.

Wayner
(1) 100% agreed.
(2) Yes, but no need a tower, just a handkerchief sized LINT-free cotton cloth.
     Please check up my reply #20 to Quiet Earth above.

c-J

cheap-Jack

« Reply #39 on: 17 Nov 2011, 08:12 pm »
HI.
On the other hand, how long will a cartridge last anyway?  :scratch:
Virtually for ever if you asked me.

How come? The cheapie no-name MM cartridge I am using WET playing for many years was taken out from a cheapie phono-CD mini combo which I bought 22 years back.
I never used it at all until a few years back when I started playing DRY vinyls with my vintage Thorens 125II (come with dry/wet play anti-skating force scale).

Judging the frequency I am using it day-in-day-out, it should last many donkey years more.

c-J