Mike's GR Research OB H frame Triple Build

mscetal

Re: Mike's GR Research OB H frame Triple Build
« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2021, 09:00 pm »
Three thumbs up. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

thanks for sharing

I am glad you liked it, Alex.  It was a great learning experience for me and I am happy with the end results.

mscetal

« Reply #21 on: 22 Aug 2021, 09:04 pm »
Oh, wow -- looks fantastic!!!

Thank you so much!

emailtim

« Reply #22 on: 23 Aug 2021, 04:24 am »
Congrats on your build and rig.  They look fantastic and I bet they sound great.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 23 Aug 2021, 04:40 am »
I'm not generally a fan of the look of maggies, as most of them seem to be black, but man your's look stunning.  Along with the subs they make quite a nice aesthetic statement.

Dagoods

« Reply #24 on: 23 Aug 2021, 01:59 pm »
Mike,

I just saw this post. Great write up on your build. That room looks familiar to me? I had the pleasure of meeting Mike a couple of weeks ago and the chance to see and hear his system. Brought some of my vinyl that I am familiar with that had heavy bass (REM-Odd-fellows 151) and female vocals (Texas- I won't let you stay).  The subs blended very smoothly with the Maggie's, the bass was nice and tight, and the vocals were smooth and detailed.  The finish on the veneer was excellent. I was impressed with how professional the finish looked. You have a wonderful listening room, makes me wish I had some of the clutter out of my room.

Thanks again for the chance to see and hear your system.

Beautify work on the subs and matching the Maggie's!

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #25 on: 23 Aug 2021, 03:50 pm »
Nice work indeed!!

How do they sound with your Maggie's??

Don

birdyblabla

« Reply #26 on: 23 Aug 2021, 04:33 pm »
Beautiful work indeed!!

mscetal

« Reply #27 on: 24 Aug 2021, 01:21 am »
Congrats on your build and rig.  They look fantastic and I bet they sound great.

Thanks , Tim.  I am so pleased with the combo of Speakers and subs.

mscetal

« Reply #28 on: 24 Aug 2021, 01:25 am »
I'm not generally a fan of the look of maggies, as most of them seem to be black, but man your's look stunning.  Along with the subs they make quite a nice aesthetic statement.

Tyson, that is really nice of you to say.  I generally agree with you about the look of Maggies, but I thought since plane to keep the speakers, the subs should match. :D

mscetal

« Reply #29 on: 24 Aug 2021, 01:29 am »
Nice work indeed!!

How do they sound with your Maggie's??

Don

Thank you, Don!  I am really happy with the combination.  I had the DWM in there but knew it wasn’t going to plumb the depths of bass.  The subs match well the 3.7 and detailed bass with what the Magnepan’s do well is what I am most happy about!  No need for the DWM any more!

mscetal

« Reply #30 on: 24 Aug 2021, 01:36 am »
Mike,

I just saw this post. Great write up on your build. That room looks familiar to me? I had the pleasure of meeting Mike a couple of weeks ago and the chance to see and hear his system. Brought some of my vinyl that I am familiar with that had heavy bass (REM-Odd-fellows 151) and female vocals (Texas- I won't let you stay).  The subs blended very smoothly with the Maggie's, the bass was nice and tight, and the vocals were smooth and detailed.  The finish on the veneer was excellent. I was impressed with how professional the finish looked. You have a wonderful listening room, makes me wish I had some of the clutter out of my room.

Thanks again for the chance to see and hear your system.

Beautify work on the subs and matching the Maggie's!

Dave, you are too nice!  I am glad we got a chance to hang out!  I really appreciate your encouragement and help with the foam.  If I hadn’t seen your build thread on here, I probably wouldn’t have built mine as quickly.  Your write up made me want to get my build completed and start listening.  Thanks, brother!

Captainhemo

« Reply #31 on: 24 Aug 2021, 01:49 am »
Hey Mike, sorry if i'm a bit late to the party here but man, those look amazing  :thumb:
Great job of documenting your work so other's could see as well, I"m sure it is appreciated.
Enjoyed our chats on the phone, always glad to be able to  help folks out if possible.

And just a heads up for other's, although these " beefier" (all solid 1.5" and 1"  Ultra Refined MDF) flat packs are no longer featured or linked to on the  GR  Research site, they are still available:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139480.0

Again, super job, enjoy that system!!

jay

mscetal

« Reply #32 on: 25 Aug 2021, 03:05 am »
Hey Mike, sorry if i'm a bit late to the party here but man, those look amazing  :thumb:
Great job of documenting your work so other's could see as well, I"m sure it is appreciated.
Enjoyed our chats on the phone, always glad to be able to  help folks out if possible.

And just a heads up for other's, although these " beefier" (all solid 1.5" and 1"  Ultra Refined MDF) flat packs are no longer featured or linked to on the  GR  Research site, they are still available:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139480.0

Again, super job, enjoy that system!!

jay

Thanks Jay!  I appreciate your support and I love the work you and Don do!  This would have been a much more difficult build with you! 

mscetal

« Reply #33 on: 25 Aug 2021, 02:40 pm »
Beautiful work indeed!!

Thank you very much!

LouM5

« Reply #34 on: 20 Sep 2021, 08:57 pm »
Hi Mike,
Great build.
I have a couple questions.
Did you use hi rez on both sides of the baffle and is there any advantage to having the center driver rear firing.
 Thanks in advance for your answers.
Lou.

Vince in TX

« Reply #35 on: 20 Sep 2021, 10:34 pm »
Good on you for tackling the veneer yourself.   I chickened out when it came to that part and hired a pro to do it for me.   Those look great!    :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 25 Sep 2021, 02:31 pm »
Wow, nice work!

mscetal

« Reply #37 on: 25 Sep 2021, 08:37 pm »
Hi Mike,
Great build.
I have a couple questions.
Did you use hi rez on both sides of the baffle and is there any advantage to having the center driver rear firing.
 Thanks in advance for your answers.
Lou.
Hi Lou,  I just saw your comments and questions.  Thanks for taking a look.

Yes, I put No Rez on both front and rear of the baffle.  It was designed to be that way and I didn’t want to second guess since so many people before me had built them and so I trusted that it would make an impact.  Honestly, I’m not too crazy about the look of it, but since I keep the grills on and no one else walks behind, I don’t have to worry about the look. 

Others have looked at the difference between reversing the middle driver and not a large difference in sound from what I read.  I think you won’t go wrong either way.

Good listening!

mscetal

« Reply #38 on: 25 Sep 2021, 08:41 pm »
Good on you for tackling the veneer yourself.   I chickened out when it came to that part and hired a pro to do it for me.   Those look great!    :thumb:

Hi Vince, Mike in Plano,TX here. 

I appreciate your kind words.  Saw your build as well, although I haven’t seen the veneer yet.  You build also helped me feel confident that building these was a manageable thing.  I hope you are enjoying yours much as I am enjoying mine!

mscetal

« Reply #39 on: 25 Sep 2021, 08:45 pm »
Wow, nice work!

Thanks, Danny!  Nice design!