Mogami W3104 speaker cables review

jonbee

Mogami W3104 speaker cables review
« on: 20 Aug 2021, 03:59 pm »
Mogami is a Japanese maker of a variety of cables targeting the professional market, where they are highly regarded.
A lot of DIYers use their cables for ICs, speaker cables, etc. I've never used them despite their relatively affordable price and reputation, but I've been reconfiguring all 3 of my systems, which always necessitates cable switching, so I thoughtI'd try them.
Just  a note on my take on cables. I've been seriously into audio since 1968, and have owned over 250 pairs of good speakers, dozens of amps, etc., and certainly well over a 100 different cables.
As to cables, I've found that the performance of cables is highly system dependent, moreso than price dependent.
I've had many >$1000/pr speaker cables that sound great in one system and very mediocre in another, even in my own home.
In the end, I see them like spices in cooking - they don't make up for poor quality basic ingredeients like amps, speakers, etc., but can shape the final outcome in areas of resolution, tonal response and ability to drive the speakers well. They are the last step in getting good matchups, in my scheme.
So, I bought 16 feet of raw W3104 cable and some decent all copper spades and banana plugs, all for ~$110 (about $5/ft., plus termination).
Info:
https://mogamicable.com/category/bulk/speaker_cable/conventional_configuration/
W3104 is 4 conductor quadcore cabling, 12 ga per conductor. Since I'm not biwiring my Avalon Opus speakers, I combined the opposing wires in the lay as Mogami recommends to make a 2 conductor, 9 ga., 8 ft. stereo pair. They can easily be used as a biwire cable as well.
The Opus, currently driven by a Nuprime IDA-16, uses Accuton ceramic mids and tweeters, Eton Hexacone 10" woofers, and a 10" downward firing kevlar passive subwoofer. They have strong output into the mid 20s, and are a complex load to drive. A number of good amps I've used don't have the ability to drive them as they require, but the IDA-16 does. The Opus' resolution is superb, from top to bottom.
Many cables have a lean quality in this system, as if the lower mids are a bit weak, and the highs are prominent.
The first thing I noticed is that this problem immediately went away with the Mogamis. Now the overall balance is the best I've had. Male voices close miked have natural weight and balance, and the higher overtones of bass instruments is clearer. This degree of balance is no small feat, imo, and makes it easy to see why studios would use them.
The very bottom end is prodigiously deep and powerful, but slightly softened at the bottom compared to my Cherry Maraschino Kings (the best amp I've owned) combined with Zenwave SL11 or Wywires Platinum, which are my favorites.
On top, the highs are very clean, extended and clear, but seem just a little further back in the mix at the top. Perhaps not the best match for laid back speakers, which the Avalons are not, but once again in a studio listening is often nearfield where brightness can be a problem. This is not a problem in my system in any case, just an observation.
Resolution of finer elements such as depth separation is very uniform and natural, but not as clear and pronounced as the best I've had in that regard, which are many times the price.
That said, dissecting the audiophile attributes can obscure the essential rightness of the presentation as a cohesive whole. My wife and I agree they are very musically correct, among the best I've used in this system in that respect, and are certainly a drop dead bargain. I think a lot of people might just find these to be a very good long term answer to the cabling question at a reasonable price.
In the right system they make spending a ton more $ on cables a hard sell, imo, and I'm glad I tried them.
There is also the W3103, a 2 conductor 12 ga. version, for about 40% less $, about $3/foot, plus terminations.
Some Mogami dealers also sell preterminated cables using this cable.
Your mileage WILL vary, of course.

« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2021, 05:55 pm by jonbee »

Samac

Re: Mogami W3104 speaker cables review
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2021, 04:11 pm »
 Excellent write-up, jonbee. :thumb: Thanks

Cheers,

Scott

jonbee

Re: Mogami W3104 speaker cables review update
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2021, 03:32 pm »
I've now put about 80 hours on them, and I'm pleased to report that at about 60 hours they began to show noticeable improvement in top end energy level and overall resolution, and now the improvement is quite apparent. In those 2 areas they still are not quite on a par with the very best cables I've used, but the differences are narrowing significantly. It will be interesting to see if they continue to evolve. That said, as of now here's how they sound in my system:
From 500 hz down to the bottom end of my speakers' FR floor at about 25 hz. these are on a par with the best i've used. Mids are properly delineated and fleshed out, midbass is fast and very clear, and lower bass is amazingly deep, powerful, and full. I can see how some speakers with bass anomolies might sound bass heavy or wooly, though. There's a lot of energy in this range. In my case, it balances beautifully all the way down, wih excellent slam and clarity.
The mids and highs are also very clear and defined. I don't think any detail is obfuscated, but the depth of field does not display quite the degree of focus and separation as the very best I've heard. It is a pretty small deficiency in this area in absolute terms, however.
And at the very top, say above 7khz., the detail is all there with no hash or grit, but it seems a little recessed, maybe just 1 db or so. The air does not float freely as much, but stays close to the speakers.
The overall sound is really lovely to listen to. My wife concurs!
As always, matching the characteristics to the system and listener is key, but about $110/pr with connectors as a diy project, they might be a big win for many once broken in. I think they might not be the best choice in systems with already laid back highs or lumpy bass response, however, as they might accentuate those issues.
Also, these are a 4 12 ga.conductor"star quad" configuration so opposing conductors must be combined at the connectors for single wire speakers which makes a 9 ga. conductor. A tight fit for most connectors which might require thinning them a little. Biwiring is very easy, though, and if you want to avoid this the 3103 is the same, but with 2 12 ga. conductors.
FYI, the best speaker cables for this system I've referred to are Wywires Platinum at about $3k/ 8ft., and the discontinued Zenwave Audio SL11, at about $1800, IIRC. These are the cables I've felt happiest with in this system out of dozens of good candidates.
I put together an identical pair with Canare 4s11. At some point I'll do a comparison.

« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2021, 04:33 pm by jonbee »

Nico M

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2021, 04:10 pm »
Very good review.  I'm even more curious now to try them out myself...

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2021, 05:06 pm »
Very good review.  I'm even more curious now to try them out myself...

+1

jonbee

« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2021, 05:16 am »
After 130 hours, I thought I'd update my opinion.
At 80 hours, there was very noticeable change which has continued to this point in time, but at a slower rate.
Overall they are more open and resolved, the bass has smoothed out a bit, but the basic signature is mostly unchanged.
The overall balance is still the among the best I've had. Male voices close miked have natural weight and balance, and the higher overtones of bass instruments is clearer. This degree of balance is no small feat, imo, and makes it easy to see why studios would use them.
The very bottom end is prodigiously deep and powerful, with excellent pitch and dynamic clarity all the way down. The range from 500 hz. or so down to the low 20s is the best I've had, ever. I can see these as a no brainer for biwiring the lower end or with subwoofers at any level of quality.
On top, the highs are very clean, extended and clear, but still seem just a little further back in the mix at the top, perhaps 1 db. above 7khz. The airiness and top end space rendering is not as upfront as the best I've had. Perhaps not the best match for laid back speakers, which my Avalons are not, but once again in a studio listening is often nearfield where brightness can be a problem. This is not big enough to be a problem in my system in any case, just an observation.
Resolution of finer elements such as deep ambience separation is very uniform and natural, but still not as clear and layereded as the best I've had in that regard, which are many times the price. Still very good, however.
After all the pluses and minuses, they are really lovely to listen to, even in a very high resolution system. The issues mentioned are not large and are subtractive, not added distortions. I can see how studios would love these.
I should add that this pair has copper spades and gold over copper bananas. As this combination is reputed to be warmer sounding than rhodium plated connectors, I'll be swapping the connectors for rhodium soon to see how that affects the balance. I'll report that out in a month or so.

I've tried cables from under $100 such as anticables and many other quality cables in price ranges from that to ~$3000 with a great variety of conductor metals and dielectrics.
I recommend these very highly for tryout as-is, in flat or bright sounding systems where the speaker cable budget is under $1000-1500. There are many cables in any price range that simply don't allow the music through in such an unadulterated way as these do, and at $110 or so for an 8 ft. DIY pair these are a great find and a cheap experiment, particularly if you're handy with basic wire skills.
Cable matchups are notoriously variable in their outcome, so I like to start cheaply and work from there.
Your Mileage WILL Vary!
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2021, 09:03 pm by jonbee »

jonbee

« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2021, 03:49 pm »
FYI- I've built a pair of Canare 4S11 cables for around $70 and am waiting on delivery of Furez FZ124AS cable and connectors to build a set from that for about the same price. These are all highly regarded bulk speaker cables in Pro Audio circles, and all at very attractive pricing.
This has been fun and rewarding for me, I hope for you.
I'll be writing up a comparison in a month or so.
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2021, 06:01 pm by jonbee »

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #7 on: 9 Sep 2021, 08:42 pm »
^ subscribed.

navi

« Reply #8 on: 9 Sep 2021, 11:07 pm »
Mogami makes 2 very really good speaker cables- the 3103 & 3104 but most audiophiles won't touch them as they don't have a fancy tech flex sheath and fancy name.

I'ma bit fan of the 3103

Lancelot

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2021, 03:54 pm »
 If you want fancier Mogami 3103 or 3104 single or biwire then look at Take Five Audio in Ontario Canada . They do a great job of assembling the cables ( better than many cable manufacturers ) and offer color choices etc.  Also U. S. money goes a lot further in Canada.
 I have no affiliation other than a very satisfied customer.

jonbee

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2021, 10:12 pm »
I've also heard they do good work. Still much less $ than comparable audiophile cables.

jonbee

« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2021, 10:50 pm »
I got my rhodium plated bananas today and swapped them for the gold plated copper on the amp end.
MUCH better high end balance (i.e. a bit more top end amplitude) and top end soundstaging.
I'm very pleased. As far as I'm concerned, this fixes the shortcomings noted above, in my system.
So - I'm using rhodium plated copper on the amp end bananas, copper spades on the speakers.
i've got rhodium plated spades on order, but I'm not sure I'll be using them now.
Anyone thinking of using these cables might consider the metals in the connectors as a factor in the voicing.
So, make sure you give them over 100 hours before making a judgement, and consider the connectors you might use.
Enjoy!

routlaw

« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2021, 12:20 am »
Just curious did you ever consider using just the raw wire ends, IOW's strip the insulation, twist the wire and insert into amp/speaker terminals. Granted this is not professional nor tidy looking affair but it would seemingly provide the truest attribute of the cable without the "filter" of the terminations. I'm very interested in trying both these and the Canare star quad too and if i ever get around to it I'm thinking this is how I might initially approach things.

Thanks

jonbee

« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2021, 02:09 am »
I agree that in general no connector is the best, but I feel the protection provided by connectors, shrink tubes, etc. to the conductors is a necessary evil.

jonbee

Re: Mogami W3104 speaker cables review- Rhodium update
« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2021, 12:13 am »
I've received the rhodium plated copper spades, so the Mogami now has rhodium plated copper bananas on the amp end and rhodium spades on the speakers.
All I can say is WOW!
The issues with top end droop, spatial rendering and projection are in the past. Now insanely neutral and clean, very transparent and with truly excellent top and bottom extension, these are as good as most I've had.
If you're handy you might give 'em a try or have a pair made up.
Choose the connectors you think will be a synergy with your rig. Copper is warmer and a bit more laid back, with more bass bloom. Perhaps better for a bright or thin system. Adding rhodium to one or more connectors will progressively make it a bit brighter, tighter and more forward, better for neutral or laid back systems.
Of course, this recipe is in the context of my 2 systems where I've tried them. YMMV, of course.
I've also put together the Canare and Furez versions of these, but I'm really enjoyng the mogamis, so it may be a while before I do a shootout.

« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2021, 12:50 am by jonbee »

Lancelot

« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2021, 05:01 pm »
 I just received a biwire pair of Mogami 3104 from Take Five Audio. Will compare with my Wireworld  Mini Eclipse which I like but they tend to be a little light in the bass ( smaller gauge part of it? )  Will let you know.

jonbee

« Reply #16 on: 16 Sep 2021, 05:14 pm »
Give 'em some time. I found they started opening up at about 60 hours, and now at 130 they are marvelous.

Wig

« Reply #17 on: 19 Sep 2021, 05:27 pm »
Thanks for the updates! I imagine it would be a game changer if they utilized OCC...

Wig  :thumb:

Give 'em some time. I found they started opening up at about 60 hours, and now at 130 they are marvelous.

jonbee

« Reply #18 on: 19 Sep 2021, 06:14 pm »
I've been listening to them a lot for the last week, on all types of material.
Here's how I score them:
Plusses: Best lower mid down to low bass response, depth, clarity, definition and power I've had. Aces, imo.
     Marvelous instrumental body; this is not a thin, sterile presentation, but much more like real instruments in space.
    Very good separation, depth and width; paints a very credible uniform image from top to bottom.
   No listening fatigue; I'm listening more just for the pleasure and forgetting the equipment.
Minuses: Still not quite as transparent and spatially separated as the best I've had.
   Very top end (small orchestral bells, triangles, decay of small cymbals) is still a bit recessed- it's all there, just a bit further back. However, mid-treble, like violins and such are marvelous, with superb harmonic balance. Gorgeous, no grit or grain.
So, if you don't mind spending $$$ and have a high-rez system, there are better you can find in some areas, but these are a joy to listen to even in a very high rez system, a real feat for under $200 assembled or $70 DIY, IMO.

I'm still burning in the Furez; they also sound promising. They feature mixed guage stranded OFC, 12 ga. per conductor (star quad) and foamed polyethylene dielectic. A little harder to terminate as they can't be stripped as most wires can. The dielectric must be cut and peeled away.
So far the Canare doesn't seem to to be as good as the other 2, but may need more breakin.

maxima95

« Reply #19 on: 19 Sep 2021, 08:02 pm »
Great information.  Thank you.

I take it this is with the rhodium/copper bananas and the rhodium/copper spades.

I have some Furez FZ124AS laying around.  Am on the edge of my seat.

Thanks