NX-Otica finally done

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: NX-Otica finally done
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2020, 03:48 pm »
So how are they sounding as they burn in?

Bassaholic

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2020, 06:02 pm »
Thanks for your kind comments, guys. It truly was the most fun I’ve had with any project.

Bassaholic

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2020, 06:06 pm »
As for burn in, I’ve got maybe 30hrs on them, the top end has been great from the start and the mid bass is getting more focused as the surrounds break in.

morganc

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2020, 07:23 pm »
Great Job on the build.  Lovely!

andrewinukm

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jun 2020, 01:42 am »
As for burn in, I’ve got maybe 30hrs on them, the top end has been great from the start and the mid bass is getting more focused as the surrounds break in.
Digressing a little to burn in,
you may considering using burn in tracks like Tara Labs' Cascade Noise burn in, which is free.

I personally use Isotek Full System Enhancer for burn in, and do a weekly "maintenance". I usually hear the bass becomes a little tighter & punchy immediately after the weekly maintenance. You'll have to decide if they work for you.
*Isotek's CD usually sells for $30-40, but the local distributor gave it for free as he had a great time hosting us.  :lol:

P.S. I'm cheapskate, so I'll use it if it's free even if it does nothing but to warm up the amp :green:)

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #25 on: 1 Jul 2020, 05:10 am »
I like the 22.5 degree angles on the bases and tops of the subs. Very cool!

That is called "extension distortion". Common with standard zoom lenses when racked out to wide field of view.

The best way to correct for this is to use a tilt-shift lens, but pretty much only architectural photographers have these.

The speakers are gorgeous, BTW. Love the blue color.

pickens

« Reply #26 on: 4 Jul 2020, 06:28 pm »
These are beautiful.  I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of these when they're back in stock, but my room is a bit funny--like yours, my equipment rack would fall behind the left channel and I'd be a little tight on getting a full three feet between the speakers and the rack.  Do you notice any detrimental sound from the side that opens into that cubby in the room with your equipment rack? 
And do you have an update on the sound as they're burning in?!
Thanks!

Bassaholic

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jul 2020, 10:37 pm »
To me, the side with the cubby space is no problem. The left side corner has 2 4.5 ft high knee walls into a 45 degree slopes to a 9ft ceiling. Initially the soundstage collapsed to the center on this side. The addition of the diffusers behind the speaker has helped immensely. What do you guys think about treatment for the slopes? Speakers are 4.5ft from front wall and 10ft apart. I sit 12ft away and have 8ft behind me to the back wall.

Jaytor

« Reply #28 on: 7 Jul 2020, 12:58 am »
I'm a big fan of diffusion if you think you have a problem. Too much absorption results in a very dead sound. But if it's working as is, I'd leave well enough alone.

You could try moving your speakers and possibly your seating a little further back. I've got mine with the front baffles about 7' from the front wall.

These days, I spend most of my time listening at my desk which is set up directly against the back wall, so my seating is about two feet from the back wall. With my room, that puts me about 18ft from the speakers. At my desk, the imaging isn't as good as at my primary seating position, but it still sounds incredibly good.