$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

roymail

• Roy in TX
Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #1560 on: 15 Jun 2010, 12:20 am »
Jason, perhaps someone here on AC has a light box and would volunteer to take some "professional looking photos" of your enclosure to post on the Class D Audio website.

I think your nice enclosure deserves some professional pics.  Lots are work went into it, so you want to present it in the best possible light. (no pun intended)  And, no offense to your photographic skills.  :wink:

I'm just saying...  :D

wushuliu

« Reply #1561 on: 15 Jun 2010, 03:15 am »
What kind of screws/standoffs do you guys use to secure the amp/ps to the enclosure?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1562 on: 15 Jun 2010, 11:09 am »
What kind of screws/standoffs do you guys use to secure the amp/ps to the enclosure?

The ones that come with the kit.  I believe they're 4-40.

wushuliu

« Reply #1563 on: 15 Jun 2010, 03:35 pm »
The ones that come with the kit.  I believe they're 4-40.

Never mind. Amazon and Digikey saved the day. Hm, dont think I got standoffs w/ my kit last year.

MLS

« Reply #1564 on: 15 Jun 2010, 08:52 pm »
Congrats on the case deal.

I also think that if you showed a picture with an amp installed in your case it would also help with sales.

Scott

firedog

« Reply #1565 on: 16 Jun 2010, 06:36 am »
So the case is only available from Class D?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1566 on: 16 Jun 2010, 11:38 am »
So the case is only available from Class D?

Nope.  They all come from me.  Class D is just showing them...

wushuliu

« Reply #1567 on: 16 Jun 2010, 05:15 pm »
Let's say I have 2 CDA-254 amp boards and one PS.

1) Does this mean I can vertical or horizontal bi-amp?

2) Are there any benefits to either ?

I have 2-way speakers.

srb

« Reply #1568 on: 16 Jun 2010, 05:27 pm »
Let's say I have 2 CDA-254 amp boards and one PS.

1) Does this mean I can vertical or horizontal bi-amp?

2) Are there any benefits to either ?

I have 2-way speakers.

If you had two separate amps each with its own power supply, I would say to vertically biamp, driving each woofer with a separate amp/power supply, since the bass section would be the much greater draw of power/current.

Since you are sharing a common power supply, it might not make much of a sonic difference, but I would still vertically biamp to equally split the heat dissipation of the output transistors and heat sink between the amplifier boards.

If you are using a preamp with dual outputs you are good to go.  If not, you would have to use a splitter to feed the signal into both inputs.  Some amps don't respond well to having their inputs tied in parallel to another amps inputs.  I don't know how the ClassDAudio amps would react to that scenario.

Steve

wushuliu

« Reply #1569 on: 16 Jun 2010, 06:01 pm »
Thanks Steve that seems to be the gist from what I have read. So I will put the spare amp board up for sale.

wushuliu

« Reply #1570 on: 17 Jun 2010, 07:44 pm »
Huh. So no review in Affordable Audio...

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1571 on: 17 Jun 2010, 07:47 pm »
Yeah, I noticed that last night... bummer!  :o

KKM

« Reply #1572 on: 18 Jun 2010, 02:18 am »
Hi All,

Looking for suggestion on which model/configuration to get. Currently have a Gallo 3.1 and also planning on acquiring the Magnepan 1.7  to switch back and forth so would want something with power and great sound. I haven't built anything like this before but willing to learn and can follow directions. I have an Audio Research LS1 and LS3 for preamps. Would love to get some suggestions since there are quite a selection. Thanks.

guest1632

« Reply #1573 on: 20 Jun 2010, 09:26 am »
Hi All,

Looking for suggestion on which model/configuration to get. Currently have a Gallo 3.1 and also planning on acquiring the Magnepan 1.7  to switch back and forth so would want something with power and great sound. I haven't built anything like this before but willing to learn and can follow directions. I have an Audio Research LS1 and LS3 for preamps. Would love to get some suggestions since there are quite a selection. Thanks.

Hi, To be honest, if I were buying right at this moment, I'd probably just spring for the SDS254 kit. It will do 8 ohms, and 4 ohms. I can't speak what will happen at 2 Ohms. But for a kit, case, RCA jacks, speaker terminals, and an On/off switch, for roughly about $500 to $600 with a metal case, I think you'd have to go a long way to do much better than that.

Ray Bronk

daniloreyes

• If it sounds good ... Listen to it!
« Reply #1574 on: 22 Jun 2010, 11:31 pm »
Hi All,

Send an email to Tom at their website, he's really knowledgeable and can recommend the correct one.

Cheers,

Dan

joamonte

« Reply #1575 on: 23 Jun 2010, 03:43 am »
Funny , I have Email Tom 3 time and wait for 2 days but he did not give me a reply.

My question

"Hi Tom

Can I check with you, for 115V 60hz this kits need 6A slow blow fuse, what about 230V 50Hz area? 3A slow blow?

And if I connect 2 kits into one IEC inlet (with Fuse holder built in), how many "A" Fuse do I need?

Hope to get your reply soon, need to confirm with my parts supplier on how many amp of Hifi tuning fuse I am ordering, thank!

Regards
Lim"

What is wrong with my question?  did I asked something stupid??  :roll:

joamonte

« Reply #1576 on: 24 Jun 2010, 02:09 am »
Ah....end out is my email block by his mail box, for some unknown reason...... :roll:

Anyway, Tom have confirm that for 230V it should be 4A , not 6A fuse to be used.

:D

Adamay

« Reply #1577 on: 24 Jun 2010, 05:53 pm »
Could some of you provide some comparisons between the Classd Audio amps and commercial amps?  I'm extremely intrigued with these amps, but I have now read the entire 79-page threat (Yes!) and did not see very many real comparisons. I know what the original poster said, and I respect it.  But a few others have made more critical comparisons, even to a $1200 class AB integrated amp, and so I'd like to hear more.  What amps did you replace?  How do the Classd amps compare, sonically?  (I have Nuforce mono's, a custom Don Allen tube pre, Vecteur transport + Altman Attraction battery-powered dac, Townshend Rock III turntable/Rega RB-300 arm, Grado Reference Sonata cart, Blacknoise power conditioning, GR-Research Paradox 3 floor-standers, etc.).  I do not want to sound skeptical--but I do want to hear more before I order. Thank you.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1578 on: 24 Jun 2010, 05:56 pm »
Could some of you provide some comparisons between the Classd Audio amps and commercial amps?  I'm extremely intrigued with these amps, but I have now read the entire 79-page threat (Yes!) and did not see very many real comparisons. I know what the original poster said, and I respect it.  But a few others have made more critical comparisons, even to a $1200 class AB integrated amp, and so I'd like to hear more.  What amps did you replace?  How do the Classd amps compare, sonically?  (I have Nuforce mono's, a custom Don Allen tube pre, Vecteur transport + Altman Attraction battery-powered dac, Townshend Rock III turntable/Rega RB-300 arm, Grado Reference Sonata cart, Blacknoise power conditioning, GR-Research Paradox 3 floor-standers, etc.).  I do not want to sound skeptical--but I do want to hear more before I order. Thank you.

Maybe after 79 pages your head is just spinning...the first post is a guy that replaced his amps with the Class D.  There are also a few others in here.   :thumb:

Adamay

« Reply #1579 on: 24 Jun 2010, 06:19 pm »
Thank you, Jtwrace.  But as I mentioned, I read the original poster's comments.  I also read Pardales's post where he said he preferred the Miniwatt, and mjosef's post where he said he preferred the Exposure 2010S (a class AB solid state amp).  The other comparisons, as I recall, were to mass-market receivers.  Thus, I'd like to hear more, particularly comparisons to decent audiophile amps rather than mass-market stuff. My head may be spinning, but I'm still thinking clearly. 

Thank you again for your reply, and I'm grateful for all of your work on the case--I may be getting one for this amp if I hear some more specifics.