3XRS + Speed12

happyrabbit

3XRS + Speed12
« on: 15 Jan 2014, 10:39 pm »

Speed12 integrates seamlessly with 3XRS.   

I believe the speed12 goes up to 160hz.   You can use the rca or the speaker cables to drive it. 

I find the speed12 most enjoyable. The speed12 is not a true sub in the classical sense.   The speed12 has a different feel.   Musical ??  I am impressed.   

Dwight

« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2014, 04:41 am by happyrabbit »

Good Times

Re: 3XRS + Speed12
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2014, 11:57 pm »
Wow, looks great. I'm keen to try one (or two!). Do you now use a high pass filter on the speakers?

raysracing

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2014, 12:26 am »
After I get some XRS cabinets for my RS5 drivers I will next look at the speed 12. 
Let me know how placement works out and effects on imaging and soundstage.

Good Times

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2014, 11:25 am »
Is it just me, or is the SpeedTwelve MADE for that TV :) (i.e. the TV stand is a perfect fit lol).

happyrabbit

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2014, 02:12 pm »
Good Times,

No Filters.  The Speed12 and 3XRS overlap each other.  It took roughly 5 minutes / Couple CD's  to get a volume setting I liked. 
I have not felt the need to adjust since the initial setup. I am surprised how well they blend together. 
And Speed12 makes an excellent TV Stand.   Louis told me the dimensions and they were perfect for my 55' Plasma.   A 2 for 1  :green:

Raysracing,

Dead Center placement for a single sub.   Speed12 improves the soundstage/imaging...  how ??  not really sure.... :scratch:    The Speed12 is mysterious to me.

Dwight

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2014, 03:33 pm »
Nice!  Does the addition of the S12 make the system more dynamic? More slam?

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2014, 11:14 pm »
This looks like my kind of subwoofer. However, I wonder about having forward facing ports, so they could be faced outwards, and placed in the corners more so... I've been stuck on that orientation so long as I'm in a square room. All other orientations kind of fell flat for stereo imaging integration. I got the suggestion from Mapleshade, some old article.

I bet with a little power conditioning this sub could give you a spanking, at that efficiency.

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2014, 11:01 pm »
Hi happyrabbit,

Thanks for the post and the pictures. The TV fits perfectly and really a great bonus. I worked on this one for a long time and I had originally posted about a 12 a while ago. It took that long to get the driver developed and sounds very very fast and the right amount of bass. It's very hard to keep up with the RS5's and this driver does it. I like the Speed 12 running sealed myself. The center placement is great with the single unit. The Speed12 is coupling your room and the sound stage opens up with the extra foundation.

Hi Salis Audio,

I hand build all my speakers and placing the ports on the front is easy.

Thanks again,
Louis

happyrabbit

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2014, 05:27 pm »
Recently moved to a different house...  Much more open.   I feel like i am rediscovering my speakers again.  I am bit shocked I have not seen any additional posts @ the speed12.   For me, the speed12 + 3XRS  is superior to the 7XRS.   Better bass, better imaging and more musical.    YMMV.

Dwight

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2014, 01:30 am »
   For me, the speed12 + 3XRS  is superior to the 7XRS.   Better bass, better imaging and more musical.    YMMV.

Your Super 7XRS were narrow baffle.  Louis has gone wide baffle with the Super 7XRS and it is a totally different animal now.  That said, your Super 3XRS/Speed Twelve combo would be utterly deadly.  I have the Super 3XRS on 2 watts of SET power sans sub and love it.

Good Times

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2014, 01:47 am »
I am bit shocked I have not seen any additional posts @ the speed12.

Probably because it's not officially out yet as far as I know, so you're probably the only customer with one! The rest of us eagerly await specs and pricing :)

happyrabbit

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2014, 09:10 pm »
Canada Bob,

The wide 7XRS looks sweet.   :green:   It would be an interesting head to head against the 3U + Speed12.

Are you using 45 Set amp ?   

Good Times,

My bad...  I have been tracking the omega forum but didn't realize the speed12 is still pending.   I have not talked with Louis in months .   I have been focused on a digital amp for my 3XRS ( TAS5611 ) and lost track on the latest. 

Dwight

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2014, 03:28 am »
Canada Bob,

The wide 7XRS looks sweet.   :green:   It would be an interesting head to head against the 3U + Speed12.

Are you using 45 Set amp ?   

A Super Zen Select with V-Caps and stepped attenuator.

happyrabbit

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jun 2014, 01:44 am »
Super Zen Select...  Interesting amp.   Seriously want to order one....

Dwight

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jun 2014, 03:05 am »
Dwight,

In the pictures you appear to have a Triode Lab 300B or 2A3 amp.  Am I correct, and do you still have it?  Done right, either of those tubes should sound really good with your Omegas.  Also, what do you run for a source?  If you do choose to go with a Decware, I would look at the basic model as mine is around $1800 now and the base model $900.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jun 2014, 03:15 am »
After I get some XRS cabinets for my RS5 drivers I will next look at the speed 12. 
Let me know how placement works out and effects on imaging and soundstage.
raysracing,
I would go for the Speed Twelve or the much more affordable deepOmega 12 (same driver) which Louis plans to introduce hopefully by the fall.  Ask me no more, as I can divulge no more at this time.  Yes, the XRS cabinets would be a definite improvement over your Super 3, but the addition of a Speed Twelve, or deepOmega 12 would be a quantum leap in sound.

happyrabbit

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jun 2014, 09:49 pm »
I still own the triode labs 2a3.   I am getting rdy to retube the amp.   I operate the amp almost everyday (12+ hours).   The sophia 6sn7 drivers tubes are getting noisy, the eml 5u4g is starting to really darken , and the eml 2a3 don't sing like a fresh set any more.  Plus a 2a3 spring clip popped out the ceramic holder so it needs replacement.   To replace the left 2a3 tube , I need to take the cover off to manually make the connection. 

Sophia 6sn7 - $200
Eml 5u4g - $275
Eml 2a3s - $570

$ 1050 plus shipping to retube...

I can buy a new amp for what it costs to retube my 2a3.  I am currently using a bent tap-x with metrum octave dac / audio praise oppo reclocker board.     I trust your opinion.   The Decware super zen costs nothing to retube and has your stamp of approval too !   

Dwight

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 26 Jun 2014, 11:19 pm »
Those Sophia 6SN7s seem quite overpriced, you can get almost any NOS for that price.... including real Russian 1578, RCA 5692, etc. Also the 5u4g does not need to be that pricey either. I haven't tried 2a3s, but not sure they need to be that much either.

If your current amp has nice parts I would stick with it, as a $1k new amp cannot possibly have a lot of high quality parts in it, and if you start upgrading you will easily double the price.

beowulf

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jun 2014, 11:22 pm »
I still own the triode labs 2a3.   I am getting rdy to retube the amp.   I operate the amp almost everyday (12+ hours).   The sophia 6sn7 drivers tubes are getting noisy, the eml 5u4g is starting to really darken , and the eml 2a3 don't sing like a fresh set any more.  Plus a 2a3 spring clip popped out the ceramic holder so it needs replacement.   To replace the left 2a3 tube , I need to take the cover off to manually make the connection. 

Sophia 6sn7 - $200
Eml 5u4g - $275
Eml 2a3s - $570

$ 1050 plus shipping to retube...

I can buy a new amp for what it costs to retube my 2a3.  I am currently using a bent tap-x with metrum octave dac / audio praise oppo reclocker board.     I trust your opinion.   The Decware super zen costs nothing to retube and has your stamp of approval too !   

Dwight

Just an FYI ~ I know a guy who has both the latest iterations of the Super Zen and Super Zen Select and he has stated to me on a couple occasions that the Select is only "subtly better", but "not way better".  I asked his opinion if he were to set 2 of them up as mono blocks what he would choose and he told me he would surely take 2 Supers over 2 Selects as the costs would be too substantial over the benefits. 

If you think about it they are very similar aside from the bases and gauges ... so for me anyways the price between the 2 units is significant enough to choose the regular Super over the Select (since I especially want to set up a pair as mono blocks in the future).

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jun 2014, 12:03 am »
The Super Zen also has 2 inputs for two sources, and a bias selector switch.  The Select has two inputs, but one set is only if you are running a separate pre-amp (it bypasses the volume control).  No bias selector switch either.  If I were starting over with Decware I would go with the Super Zen.