Celestion F30 upgrades

milford3

Celestion F30 upgrades
« on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:31 pm »
Placed my Celestion F30's as rear channels in my 7.2 surround system.  As poor as this speaker are,  they do the job when placed in this application. 
I'm looking to upgrade the F30.s  (I.E. new crossovers.)  Would this be worth the money needed for the upgrade or should I just trash the whole the idea?
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2011, 03:53 pm by milford3 »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Celestion F30 upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:24 am »
Yeah, you could throw in some new wire, upgrade the caps, but you're still gonna have essentially an F30, you can't change the drivers or the box economically.  My memory of the speaker is a bit wooly sounding, lacking in dynamic contrast, but a pretty pleasant speaker overall that should do very well in the rear channel.  I don't know if it has any damping material (fiberglass) but if it does, try removing some or all of it to liven up the sound.  A steel bolt or rod through the middle to brace front and rear panels may also help, not sure about the aesthetics though.  At the end of the day the application isn't all that critical, so I'd try the more simple solution first.  Best of luck with whatever you decide.