Capital Audiofest 2021

Phil_S

Capital Audiofest 2021
« on: 7 Nov 2021, 11:55 am »
It was a very interesting show.  Exhibitors were down about 30% from the 2019 show.  There were quite a few manufactures that had equipment there but did not have a room to themselves, VPI & & Bob’s audio devices to name a few.  The show was well attended and in the afternoon on Friday & Saturday was quite crowded.

Stopped in at Alta Audio, and I see (hear) why Frank uses these speakers to demo his equipment.  It was one of the few rooms that did not overpower the room.  Most were peaking at 100db or more.  Alta on the other hand was a real pleasure to be in.  They sounded great.

The whole reason for this post was an experience I had in another room where they were demoing a very large (physically) class D amp.  The designer has taken off the top and was describing all the components.  I mentioned that I had recently replaced my electronics and he asked who…I told him Van Alstine.

Dead quiet, then a soft “oh, I guess we’re done here”.  To say I was shocked is an understatement.

In February I replaced 40+ year old equipment with the SET 120 Control Amplifier and the Vision Q Phono Preamp.  After hearing equipment 10X as expensive, Frank’s gear stands toe to toe with the best of them.  I couldn’t be happier. 

NoDisco

Re: Capital Audiofest 2021
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2021, 05:03 pm »
There was a lot of gear there that was disproportionate to price. Nice and all but I wouldn’t whip out the wallet for it even with a deep discount. I was pleasantly surprised by the Bache room and the Cube room. The Cubes are a bit $$$, but I was left intrigued. The Arion room gets my mention for best sounding full range system. It was my first show though. The Daedulus stuff was good too.  Lucky for me I was not compelled to purchase. I think I like my system even more now, TBH.