Dynaco Pas 2/3 w/ AVA Omega Star 250EX?

amb3cog

Dynaco Pas 2/3 w/ AVA Omega Star 250EX?
« on: 10 Apr 2018, 12:04 am »
Hi all. I'm loving my Omega amp, but need a nice tube preamp for it. Prefer vintage warm sound, rolled off highs and all. This is mostly a rock and roll system, and it gets played loudly quite often. And I need that tube warmth for my ears to handle that.

So I'm thinking I'll try a Dyna Pas for many reasons, and it meets my budget requirements too (that's a highfalutin way of saying I'm poor lol). Just concerned about them working together correctly since the Pas was made to work with the ST-70. I know the input impedences are different between these two amps, and I'm wondering how much that matters.

I'm not exactly sure what the input impedence is on the Omega Star. Although I've been told it's 25k Ohms. And I'm pretty sure the ST-70 is higher. Not sure if what the either the ST, or the Pas is actually. So if anybody has any idea on what I'm dealing with here. I would greatly appreciate it.

If they won't work together. I'd also like to know what I'd have to do to change that. I really think this could be a great combo if I can get them to sync up correctly. For me anyway.

Bear in mind that musicality, warmth, and emotion are most important to me. I'll take smooth over detailed any day if the week. But I do like dynamics, and great sounding drums. I realize that more modern preamps are technically better. With extended highs, and all. But that's not my style. It just gives me listening fatigue.

So please don't recommend something else to get, unless it has that character. I'm actually trying to color the sound, and am not really looking for transparency. I have other systems for that type of sound.

That being said. If there's another preamp out there that's similar to this. I'd love to know about it. But I've never seen one. The Pas is cheap, plentiful, easy to work on. There's tons of parts available, and lots of knowledge available too. So I think it's perfect.

Thank you all in advance.
Andy B

avahifi

Re: Dynaco Pas 2/3 w/ AVA Omega Star 250EX?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2018, 12:49 pm »
You need our new Transcendence 10 RB vacuum tube preamp. ($899 base price).

No rough edges, no glare, no grain, but day and night more transparent and engaging than the very old Dyna PAS-3 preamp.

We discontinued our famous Super Pas rebuild because it was so labor intensive to build and actually ended costIng more than a new T10 RB with nowhere near the musical performance.

I have often run an original PAS, our Super Pas, and our new T10 RB preamp driving an Omega power amp and the T10 RB wins hands down.

Go to avahifi.com, click on photo of preamps, then click on photo of T10 RB for details.

Call me at 651-330-9871 for more help.

Frank

thetakeout

Re: Dynaco Pas 2/3 w/ AVA Omega Star 250EX?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2018, 01:05 am »
amb3cog

PM sent