Delusional Nice People

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Delusional Nice People
« Reply #40 on: 1 Jun 2017, 08:35 pm »
Now my branding.. Well take my photo. It is of a character from the Nelvana cartoon series "Spliced"  female platypus named Patricia. She lives on an island of crazy mixed up creatures, all 'spliced' from normal creatures into exotic fantasy creatures.
She is the one stable person in the whole island.
This is how I see myself in this website. LOL

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #41 on: 1 Jun 2017, 08:40 pm »
Now my branding.. Well take my photo. It is of a character from the Nelvana cartoon series "Spliced"  female platypus named Patricia. She lives on an island of crazy mixed up creatures, all 'spliced' from normal creatures into exotic fantasy creatures.

That's awesome. You rock.  :D

Phil A

« Reply #42 on: 1 Jun 2017, 08:43 pm »
I never mess with Witch Doctors

witchdoctor

« Reply #43 on: 1 Jun 2017, 08:53 pm »
Well, what does YOUR branding mean?
You seem to say you are a 'witchdoctor', and have repeatedly made that assertion. But what does it mean besides you like exotic nonsense and a little mystery?
The claim would never get me to trust you. Or to value your 'expertise'.
(not even in matters pertaining to the occult)
You 'branding' seems to be just made up gibberish to make some dummy think you are cool.

I am flattered by your reply, the witchdoctor is pretty cool, thank you 8)

Let's use Bryston as a branding example. Check their about us page on their website. Their brand values are actually pretty clear. Now if their products don't deliver their "brand promise" their brand equity is devalued. People won't trust the brand. When they do deliver brand equity is increased, OK?

http://bryston.com/pages/company.html

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #44 on: 1 Jun 2017, 08:59 pm »

:thumb:

I am flattered by your reply, the witchdoctor is pretty cool, thank you 8)

You certainly match the title of this thread.

witchdoctor

« Reply #45 on: 1 Jun 2017, 09:09 pm »

You certainly match the title of this thread.

The Maestro's brand promise-

Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
A Two-channel Audio system

The Maestro brand reality-

Measuring Everything and Hearing Nothing
A True Mess of an Audio System   :lol:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #46 on: 1 Jun 2017, 09:15 pm »
The Maestro's brand promise-

Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
A Two-channel Audio system

The Maestro brand reality-

Measuring Enjoying Everything and Hearing Regretting Nothing
A True Mess Gem of an Audio System   :thumb: :lol:

You need to take a spelling workshop, WD.

But we still love ya around here. Whipping boy. Court Jester.  :lol:

witchdoctor

« Reply #47 on: 1 Jun 2017, 09:36 pm »

Your brand message "Love is all their is" reminds me of a Beatles song. I have no idea how the Beatles and a Platypus are connected.  :scratch:

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #48 on: 1 Jun 2017, 09:55 pm »
I have found that article to be a good read......reminds me of this video> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndshbH3qZ6Y

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #49 on: 1 Jun 2017, 10:26 pm »
I have found that article to be a good read......reminds me of this video> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndshbH3qZ6Y
Amazing video, they are all the same.
Seems they were assembled in a factory :duh:

lowtech

« Reply #50 on: 1 Jun 2017, 10:52 pm »
Since this thread was posted in the Bryston forum by James Tanner...

I'm curious if James Tanner feels his products (speakers, amplifiers, preamps, etc.) would benefit from using $1,000/ft. speaker cables inside of his speakers or $1,000/ft. interconnect cables inside of his electronics.

If not, why?

p.s. For the record I'm of the opinion that Bryston has always made a high-end product for the discriminating audiophile.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #51 on: 1 Jun 2017, 10:56 pm »
Since this thread was posted in the Bryston forum by James Tanner...

I'm curious if James Tanner feels his products (speakers, amplifiers, preamps, etc.) would benefit from using $1,000/ft. speaker cables inside of his speakers or $1,000/ft. interconnect cables inside of his electronics.

If not, why?

p.s. For the record I'm of the opinion that Bryston has always made a high-end product for the discriminating audiophile.

I don't think any mfr would endorse uber-expen$ive AM cables for their gear. IMO That would be an implicit admission that somehow the quality of the gear was sufficiently sub-par (with stock cables) to begin with.

Let the user buy whatever they want.

lowtech

« Reply #52 on: 1 Jun 2017, 11:01 pm »
Thanks but I'm looking for James opinion on the topic since he brought it up.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #53 on: 1 Jun 2017, 11:10 pm »

If you scroll down under "Tech and Design - What cables do you recommend?", on this page:

http://bryston.com/pages/faq.html

you may find a partial answer to your query.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #54 on: 1 Jun 2017, 11:13 pm »
Amazing video, they are all the same.
Seems they were assembled in a factory :duh:

Factory/manufacturer programming.  :lol:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #55 on: 1 Jun 2017, 11:30 pm »
Factory/manufacturer programming.  :lol:
Keeping watch TV :cry:

charmerci

« Reply #56 on: 1 Jun 2017, 11:33 pm »

Oh - I thought it was from Ren and Stempy.  :lol:

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #57 on: 1 Jun 2017, 11:35 pm »
Beyond delusion or obsessive-compulsive behavior, even "nice" audiophiles are still confronted with...the egocentric predicament. :scratch:

https://youtu.be/L45Q1_psDqk

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #58 on: 2 Jun 2017, 12:00 am »

Oh - I thought it was from Ren and Stempy.  :lol:

I had always assumed that was Stimpy until today.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #59 on: 2 Jun 2017, 12:39 am »

GETTING WIRED

There is not a day that goes by where I do not get asked what cable Bryston recommends with our amplifiers. Hopefully the following will assist you in weeding through some of these complex issues.
Part of the problem is that there is an awful lot of marketing going on and not much science in some cases. The 'elaborate packaging' of these interconnects and speaker cables may make you feel warm and fuzzy but the electrical characteristics are still the primary issue of concern. Simply stated the geometry (where the plus is relative to the minus) of a cable determines the inter-relationship between the measured performance of a specific cable. These measured performance criteria are called the 'Primary Constants'. They are R-resistance, L-inductance, C-shunt capacitance and G-shunt conductance. You can play around with all the different types of exotic packaging and add-on appendages you like but ultimately the measured performance (primary constants) tell the tale.

Bryston does not think cables should be 'voiced' to sound a specific way. The best cable is NO cable at all so we contend that the best cable is the cable that changes the signal the least.

COAX INTERCONNECT CABLES
An analogue Preamp/Amplifier connection is a 'high impedance interface' therefore; you are looking for low measured Capacitance. An interconnect cable acts like a capacitor in the signal path so the better that capacitor the better the interconnect. We use an interconnect wire with (very low capacitance) and the RCA connectors are made for us in Switzerland. The RCA cables 'make and break ground' first and last when connecting and disconnecting. This prevents ugly pops and bangs from going through your system with the possible negative results.

XLR INTERCONNECT CABLES
The XLR cables we use are also very low in capacitance. Actually the XLR cable we are currently using is in fact low noise balanced microphone cable with 100% shield coverage against RF. The advantage of Balanced XLR cables is that they have a noise canceling effect know as 'common mode noise reduction'. This helps prevent noise and hum from affecting your system. With today's complexity of audio and video surround systems this is a big plus, so if you 'got em-use em'.

DIGITAL INTERCONNECT CABLES
With 'Digital' interconnects things are a lot different. The wavelengths of digital signals are 'very short' (same for FM) so the lengths and terminations are much more critical than with the analogue signals previously discussed. When the wavelength of the signal the cable is used for approaches 1/30th of the length of the cable then transmission line effects start to appear and much more attention has to be paid to the connection and termination. If not then reflections and cancellation of data is a real possibility. For instance the AES/EBU digital connection on the back of all Bryston products should be used with a cable having an impedance of 110 ohms.

VIDEO CABLES

Video cables also operate at very high frequencies - typically 5-6 MHz for Composite and S-Video and 8-30 MHz for Component Video depending on the scan rate and resolution. So again understanding the wavelengths of the signals and interfaces involved is important.

SPEAKER CABLES

The Amplifier/Speaker interface is a 'low impedance' connection. Therefore, in a speaker cable you are looking for low 'self inductance' (because inductance rolls off the top end) as opposed to 'low capacitance' required in the RCA or XLR analogue interconnect. For speaker cables we use a stranded 9 gauge linear crystal copper with 'Heavily Gold plated' Spade lugs or Expandable Banana plugs specially made for Bryston.

A/C POWER CABLES
When you plug your power cord into the wall outlet you are in 'SERIES' with all the wire on the other side of the wall all the way back to the power source. The small length of power cord from the wall to the amp is insignificant compared to the miles of wire it is connected to. As long as the power cord can deliver the current and voltage required to drive the amplifier to full power it is as good as it can get.

There are 4 basic things to remember about these issues:

1.   The connection should be of similar metals (preferably gold) and be airtight. If not airtight it will break down molecularly over time and begin to rectify or produce a diode effect on the signal.
2.   With all the RF floating around today the better the 'Shield' on the interconnect the less intrusive the RF will be.
3.   The connection between your analogue Source components (Preamplifier, CD Player, Tuner, DVD Player etc.) is a 'High Impedance' connection and the interface between your power amplifier and your speakers is a 'Low Impedance' connection. So, the requirements are totally different for optimizing these interfaces.
4.   Digital and Video cables are much more susceptible to reflection/phase/cancellation problems because of their short wavelengths relative to cable length.

As you can see from the above, no surprise that people hear differences in cables when connected to the variety of equipment in the market today. Given the differences in input and output impedance's between transistor and tube gear, the lack of understanding of the high impedance and low impedance interfaces, the world of RF, and the digital/video connection issues no wonder we have these differences of opinion.

RECOMMENDATIONS
I highly recommend keeping the speaker wires as short as possible and utilizing XLR balanced lines if available. Given the choice of long interconnects and short speaker leads or short interconnects and long speaker leads - choose long interconnects (preferably Balanced) and short speaker leads. With digital and video cables finding out the sending and termination requirements is very important due to the very short wavelengths relative to cable lengths involved.

The cables Bryston recommends represent a scientific approach to these issues and are the cables we use in all our professional studio installations. All of these cables are available from Bryston in the Products list.
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2017, 08:08 am by James Tanner »