Rogue Audio's new $1295 Hypex integrated

roscoeiii

Re: Rogue Audio's new $1295 Hypex integrated
« Reply #40 on: 1 May 2013, 06:26 pm »
Whether it's as good or better than a well designed tube amp depends mostly on the speakers it's driving IMO.

+1, not to mention the listening preferences of the listener

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #41 on: 1 May 2013, 07:11 pm »
I have yet to hear a hypex module that gets all the tonal harmonics right

Tube amps do "tonal harmonics". Ncores just amplify the signal.

Julf

« Reply #42 on: 1 May 2013, 07:14 pm »
Class D seems very sensitive to caps, cables, etc... basically needs lots of tweaking to get good sound.

Not sure what class D amps you have worked with, but I find the opposite to be true with the Hypex ncores. No need for tweaking, and quite insensitive to cables etc. - the only thing to take care of is proper differential wiring and twisting the cables.

roscoeiii

« Reply #43 on: 1 May 2013, 07:20 pm »
Yes, the ncore seems to be a special beast...

Alexdad54

« Reply #44 on: 1 May 2013, 07:24 pm »
Am I correct in thinking that the Sphinx doesn't use the ncore modules but uses UCD 180's and if so, what would the differences be?

roscoeiii

« Reply #45 on: 1 May 2013, 07:34 pm »
That's correct that it isn't  the ncore. Not sure what modules were used or what mods were made to them

Alexdad54

« Reply #46 on: 1 May 2013, 07:57 pm »
This image on Rogue Audio's website shows the module numbers but I have no idea how they've been implemented......http://rogueaudio.com/Images/sphinxinsidelarge.jpg

Ericus Rex

« Reply #47 on: 1 May 2013, 08:23 pm »
Tube amps do "tonal harmonics". Ncores just amplify the signal.

Sounds boring to me.  I'd rather like what I'm hearing than know it's the 'true' nature of the input signal...whatever that means.

ltr317

« Reply #48 on: 2 May 2013, 04:58 am »
   Yes however do we want coloration or accuracy? For years I used all tubed systems. From Audio Research to CJ lastly SET custom Cyber 211s with NOS GE, RCA and United 211 tubes. Sounded great until we tried a hybrid class "D" amps in direct comparison. Yes the all tubed system was cozy and colored. Colored in a natural way but veiled and dark in direct comparison.  One size does not fit all.
    Realism, slam, presence in spades. Tonally correct with all the harmonics in tact. The concept of the Rouge is interesting especially for the right price. $15,000 and $12,000 for hypex modules is a bit of a stretch. Good to see one priced within reach.

charles

Charles,

You took my statement out of context and missed the point Roscoe, Eric, Rob, Decal, Jim and I were making.  That is, in order to get true tube sound no combination of tube and non tube separate components will result in rich tube harmonics that only an all tube preamp and power amp can achieve.  That's not to say it's absolutely better, it ultimately depends on the listener's sonic preference.  Also, not all modern tube components sound veiled and colored.  There are many tube components nowadays which measure and are tonally more neutral, more akin to solid state components.  One example is the Rogue 99 Super Magnum preamp I reviewed and ended up buying.  The Rogue 99 and others of its kind are relatively neutral sounding, transparent and resolving but provides tonal harmonic colors that no solid state or class D amp I've heard can duplicate.  But it's up to Alex to determine whether he prefers all tube, hybrid, all ss, or any other combination thereof since he is the one shopping.

Cheers,
Paul Mah

Rclark

« Reply #49 on: 2 May 2013, 05:04 am »
Sounds boring to me.  I'd rather like what I'm hearing than know it's the 'true' nature of the input signal...whatever that means.

I greatly prefer just the amplified signal to a bunch of added flavor. You find there's plenty of sauce and variations of seasoning in the music itself.

Just gimme that straight wire with gain and you go ahead and keep your house sound.

persisting1

« Reply #50 on: 2 May 2013, 05:38 am »
I greatly prefer just the amplified signal to a bunch of added flavor

You're not alone.

Julf

« Reply #51 on: 2 May 2013, 06:21 am »

Sure. Nothing wrong with that - it is a personal preference. All I am saying is that if you like tube harmonics, you are probably not going to like the sound of the ncores.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #52 on: 2 May 2013, 05:16 pm »
It's not true now, and it has never been true than tube amplification = distortion and added "flavor". No more than stereotypes of any other topology. It's in the implementation...  :duh:

rpf

« Reply #53 on: 2 May 2013, 05:36 pm »
It's not true now, and it has never been true than tube amplification = distortion and added "flavor". No more than stereotypes of any other topology. It's in the implementation...  :duh:

Yep.   :thumb:

Julf

« Reply #54 on: 2 May 2013, 06:00 pm »

The problem with valves is that you usually have much less gain in your typical valve amp than in a semiconductor amp, and that seriously restricts the amount of feedback you can apply to reduce distortion.

bunky

« Reply #55 on: 2 May 2013, 06:29 pm »
The problem with valves is that you usually have much less gain in your typical valve amp than in a semiconductor amp, and that seriously restricts the amount of feedback you can apply to reduce distortion.
Using feedback to lower distortion in a amplifier is not a desirable solution.

roscoeiii

« Reply #56 on: 2 May 2013, 06:38 pm »
There are great amps that use feedback, there are great amps that use none. There are great amps that use tubes, there are great amps that use none. There are great SET amps, there are great push-pull amps. There are great Class D amps.

All comes down to your speakers, your associated components, your preferences and your budget.

Julf

« Reply #57 on: 2 May 2013, 07:16 pm »
Using feedback to lower distortion in a amplifier is not a desirable solution.

And why not?

Julf

« Reply #58 on: 2 May 2013, 07:18 pm »
There are great amps that use feedback, there are great amps that use none. There are great amps that use tubes, there are great amps that use none. There are great SET amps, there are great push-pull amps. There are great Class D amps.

All comes down to your speakers, your associated components, your preferences and your budget.

Doesn't that pretty much become "there are amps that you like and that work with your speakers and associated components"?

roscoeiii

« Reply #59 on: 2 May 2013, 07:29 pm »
No, I'd say that there are not-so-great amps that also fall under those categories, and which may contribute to giving a type of amp a bad name if a less than good design (or less than good match for the speakers) is what you have been exposed to.