NCore and Power Conditioning

ufokillerz

Re: NCore and Power Conditioning
« Reply #20 on: 8 Mar 2013, 03:30 am »
Mine are straight into the wall on dedicated outlets with no switches.  I tried them through my Belkin PureAV PF60 but that didn't work--squashed all the dynamics and micro-details.  My fear now is a lightning storm.... :bomb:

do you leave yours plugged in all the time, mine is plugged into a pf31, and thats probably why my sounds are somewhat compressed

Airborn

« Reply #21 on: 8 Mar 2013, 06:45 am »
Yes, mine are left plugged in and on all the time.  I would try them straight into the wall instead of through the PF31.  If its anything like my PF60, it is killing the openness of the Ncore.

Rclark

« Reply #22 on: 8 Mar 2013, 10:26 pm »
« Last Edit: 1 May 2013, 06:48 am by Rclark »

Bubbleboy76

« Reply #23 on: 9 Mar 2013, 12:55 pm »
I tried my monoblocks with the Isotek Evo3 Sirius at home.

I could hear no big difference. Maybe slightly less dynamic sound.

stled

« Reply #24 on: 30 Mar 2013, 03:57 am »
You can get a whole house surge suppressor that mounts in your main electrical box.  You may need to have an electrician install it, but they can handle some very large surges.

Ed

Mine are straight into the wall on dedicated outlets with no switches.  I tried them through my Belkin PureAV PF60 but that didn't work--squashed all the dynamics and micro-details.  My fear now is a lightning storm.... :bomb:

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #25 on: 31 Mar 2013, 10:11 am »
You can get a whole house surge suppressor that mounts in your main electrical box.  You may need to have an electrician install it, but they can handle some very large surges.

Good advice - surge suppressors protect your gear but don't limit the current, as they are parallel rather than serial devices.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #26 on: 1 May 2013, 02:06 am »
My findings are that the Ncores do not like 'Y' capacitors.  They are designed to run as ungrounded Class 2 devices which is OK as long as you have everything proper in your electrical service and circuits.  Before you run it without a safety ground test everything to make sure all is good.  The 400s sound very good from the wall.  They sound even better when connected to power filtration the is low impedance and not current limiting.

Great amps.

Dave

Julf

« Reply #27 on: 1 May 2013, 05:31 am »
My findings are that the Ncores do not like 'Y' capacitors.

I agree. Y capacitors create a signal path between the mains live wires and the safety ground. That might or might not be a good idea, depending on the design of your amp. In the case of the fully differential design of the Ncores, and a proper grounding scheme, you are better off without any Y filter.

They are designed to run as ungrounded Class 2 devices which is OK as long as you have everything proper in your electrical service and circuits.

In case you aren't comfortable with the Class 2 requirements, they also seem to be just fine with a safety earthed chassis, as long as the distinction between safety earth and signal ground is understood and maintained.

Rclark

« Reply #28 on: 1 May 2013, 06:39 am »
oh wow, didn't know they were fully differential as well.

Julf

« Reply #29 on: 1 May 2013, 07:15 am »
oh wow, didn't know they were fully differential as well.

Not in the sense of "fully balanced" that there would be 2 separate parts for the positive and negative signal, but in the sense of a fully differential, floating input circuit, so that the signal is not referenced to ground or earth.

Rclark

« Reply #30 on: 1 May 2013, 07:21 am »
Not in the sense of "fully balanced" that there would be 2 separate parts for the positive and negative signal, but in the sense of a fully differential, floating input circuit, so that the signal is not referenced to ground or earth.

It's going to take me some time to decipher that, but muchly appreciated. Good info.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #31 on: 1 May 2013, 02:28 pm »
I'll add to Uber Buss comments. To date with numerous amps tried not one lost anything. All gained with better dynamics, bass and more info. For us the no brainer of conditioners.

charles

jonbee

« Reply #32 on: 1 May 2013, 08:58 pm »
I'll add to Uber Buss comments. To date with numerous amps tried not one lost anything. All gained with better dynamics, bass and more info. For us the no brainer of conditioners.
charles
I agree. I switched my NC400s from my PS Audio PPP, which was good, to a Pi Audio RevB, which is even better.