2 Oppo 971H questions

brj

2 Oppo 971H questions
« on: 28 Dec 2006, 06:04 pm »
Greetings all!

I'm trying to fine tune a system with a Oppo OPDV971H and Sharp Aquos LC-37D40U LCD TV and have a couple of questions.  The Oppo is connected to the Sharp via the DVI->HDMI connection for video and L/R RCA inputs for audio.

1) Any idea why the Oppo won't upscale?  The display is set to 480P, and hitting the "DVI"  button won't cycle through any of the higher resolutions (720P or 1080i) that I know the Sharp can display.  Hitting the button just causes the Oppo to display the "circle with a line through it" symbol (like you see on a no-smoking sign) on the screen.

2) Does anyone which brand/model the Oppo pulls most of its remote codes from?  I've seen the Oppo FAQ that discusses it, but I'm wondering if there is a standard set that might get most of the functionality.  (A better learning remote to avoid the issue entirely is on the list for a future gift idea.)

Thanks for any pointers!

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: 2 Oppo 971H questions
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2006, 12:05 am »
I have this model also

"OPPO OPDV971H 1080i HDTV-Ready Divx DVD Player with DVI Output; Bonus DVI-HDMI & DVI-DVI cables included"

I think I set the video resolution first via the menu. Have you tried that? I later discovered that you can cycle through the resolutions from that remote button.

Parnelli777

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2006, 02:43 pm »
I have the 981, so I'm fairly certain this is the same on the 971. Player must be STOPPED. The button you want on the remote is on the very bottom left labeled "HDMI". If not, it will be the "DVI" button. This button toggles 480-720-1080i-1080p.

brj

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2006, 08:10 pm »
Sorry for my delayed response... limited web access this week.

That was the catch - the player has to stopped and empty (as far as I can tell).  I'll play around some more to check, but this has worked so far, although I find it rather inconvenient.  (I'm also somewhat disappointed by the fact that you have to dive down into the menus to cycle between screen aspect ratio options.  I haven't found a single button toggle on the remote like the "DVI" button that changes resolution.)  The quality and abilities of the Oppo are very impressive for the price, but the interface has a few quirks to it...

Thanks for the help!

Parnelli777

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2007, 04:27 pm »
As happy as I am with the Oppo 981, I have to say the remote fairly sucks, it'll never be intuitive. It does glow in the dark though :^)