Salkstream III, no sound from HDMI using AirPlay?

Saturn94

Salkstream III, no sound from HDMI using AirPlay?
« on: 12 May 2018, 04:52 pm »
Yesterday I notiiced if I connect to the Salkstream III via AirPlay there’s no sound via the HDMI output to my Oppo 103.  Optical out to my pre/pro works fine.

Is there a simple setting I need to check to have AirPlay play via both the HDMI and optical outputs?  Or is AirPlay just set up to play via the optical output?

Since optical out works fine, this really isn’t an issue, just mainly curious. :)

PS - Using Roon there’s no problem playing via either output (thank you, Jim! :D ).

jsalk

Re: Salkstream III, no sound from HDMI using AirPlay?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2018, 05:24 pm »
Roon designed their own audio engine so they would not have to use Linux, Windows or iOS audio engines and be required to have three different versions of Roon for the three platforms.  Roon's audio engine can output to multiple audio devices.

Linux uses Linux's alsa as an audio engine.  It is a very mature and solid audio engine.  Shairport Sync (Airplay) uses alsa as its audio engine.  As such, it needs to be configured to use an alternative output if the output you want is not the "default" output.  In your case, the default output is most likely optical.  By changing the output device in ShairportSync's configuration files, you can direct the output to any legitimate audio output.  In your case, you could have it send its output to HDMI.  But, in that case, it would no longer output to optical since it can only be directed to single output.

Doing this is not all that difficult in a Linux terminal.  But it is probably requires a bit more explanation than is warranted here.

- Jim

Saturn94

Re: Salkstream III, no sound from HDMI using AirPlay?
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2018, 05:52 pm »
Thanks for the great explanation. :)

Since I was just curious about how it works, I’ll just leave it as is.

:D