spinner

Re: CD Storage - The Horror...
« Reply #120 on: 11 Jul 2014, 04:50 pm »
  Love it  :thumb: :thumb:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #121 on: 19 Jul 2014, 12:23 am »

The horror of my CD storage issues are now fortunately, a thing of the past - for now. With the recent completion of my mainstream CD rack located in a nearby room, all of my music is now readily available and sorted in alphabetical order, oh the sweet, delectable joy. Now I have a firmer number for storage as the new black rack currently holds 1320 CDs with a capacity of 1815 CDs. My alternative music CD storage in my room has a capacity of 1300 CDs giving a combined total space for 3115 CDs for both racks.

Most likely I will start construction again and add another rack to my mainstream music rack, converting it into an "L" shaped storage shelf adding another 1210 spaces for CDs for a total storage space of 4325 CDs.

An unexpected bonus of mounting the mainstream music rack on the floor instead of the wall will allow ample space for most of my books to sit on top of the rack.

Thanks to all who offered excellent suggestions to help me complete this little project  :thumb:

Be well...

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #122 on: 19 Jul 2014, 05:03 pm »
Laundrew , I think you have done a beautiful and classy storage job...bravo :thumb:

brucek

« Reply #123 on: 19 Jul 2014, 08:19 pm »
Quote from: Laundrew
With the recent completion of my mainstream CD rack located in a nearby room, all of my music is now readily available and sorted in alphabetical order.....
Looks real good.

hehe, I notice all the free space is located in the bottom three shelves. So, if you had to alphabetically add a new mainstream CD in the top row under "B" (for example), would you have to shift all eight shelves of 1320 CD's one position to accommodate that new CD? Seems like a lot of work.

Would it have been a good idea to leave a little free space at the end of each shelf for expansion?

brucek

Laundrew

« Reply #124 on: 20 Jul 2014, 12:59 am »
Looks real good.

hehe, I notice all the free space is located in the bottom three shelves. So, if you had to alphabetically add a new mainstream CD in the top row under "B" (for example), would you have to shift all eight shelves of 1320 CD's one position to accommodate that new CD? Seems like a lot of work.

Would it have been a good idea to leave a little free space at the end of each shelf for expansion?

brucek

:duh:

Looks like I have a small job to do tomorrow ***sighs***   :green:

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #125 on: 20 Jul 2014, 01:03 am »
Laundrew , I think you have done a beautiful and classy storage job...bravo :thumb:

Thank you for your kind words redbook  :D

Be well...

Guy 13

« Reply #126 on: 20 Jul 2014, 03:51 am »
Thank you for your kind words redbook  :D

Be well...

Hi Laundrew.
May I ask you how many CDs you've only have listen to
one time in all your collection
or maybe there are still some CD that you bought,
but never listen.

Guy 13

Laundrew

« Reply #127 on: 20 Jul 2014, 03:21 pm »
Hi Laundrew.
May I ask you how many CDs you've only have listen to
one time in all your collection
or maybe there are still some CD that you bought,
but never listen.

Guy 13

Greetings Guy 13  :D

Great question and sounds like a very good idea for a thread :thumb:

My Gothic music collection has been listened too quite a few times, in its entirety. As for the mainstream side of the collection, I find I tend to listen to specific tracks instead of the complete CD so I would say that a very large percentage of these albums have not been listened too first track to last. You must also take into consideration that I only started actively purchasing mainstream music last year when I discovered $1.00 CD Tuesdays at our local Goodwill store. I did not want to spend $20.00 or so on a mainstream artist CD as I would much rather spent $20.00 on an alternative artist as I would listen to it more. Before this, my mainstream collection was only a couple of hundred CDs and very seldom saw the light of day, or perhaps better stated "the darkness of my room."

This is why I elected to have my mainstream music located outside of my room. I do however,  have a few favourite mainstream CDs in my room, for example, Black Sabbath, Ozzy & Rush - I could not begin to guess how many times I have listened too 2112  :D As for record albums, I have 200 or so that have never been listened too - no TT as of yet.

You can see by the screen shots below some of my stats, which are mostly a product of my daily commute and when you include the time I sit in front of my audio gear - the numbers are huge for CD "consumption" on the Gothic side of the house. Thanks again for your question Guy 13 :D

"Alternate..."

Mainstream...

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #128 on: 20 Jul 2014, 05:08 pm »
Looks real good.

brucek

To fix this little oversight I decided to flip a CD on its side at the start and end of the row, which will allow open storage for 25 CDs per row. The new CDs can be stored vertically by removing one of the horizontal CDs keeping asymmetry on one side of the row or store the new CDs horizontally. Thanks again for picking this up brucek :thumb:

Be well...

brucek

« Reply #129 on: 20 Jul 2014, 07:57 pm »
Quote from: Laundrew
To fix this little oversight I decided to flip a CD on its side at the start and end of the row, which will allow open storage for 25 CDs per row.
Nice.  :thumb:

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #130 on: 21 Jul 2014, 12:51 am »
Another fine project, Laundrew. As usual for you, it's quality all the way. Well done, sir!

Rich

Guy 13

« Reply #131 on: 21 Jul 2014, 01:21 am »

Hi Laundrew.
If you listen to one or two CD everyday, 7 days a week and all year.
What would be the turnover to go around all your collection.
Well, I can make the maths if you tell me how many CDs you have,
but then, some CDs you don't listen often or rarely.
So the numbers are not rely representative.

Guy 13

rmurray

« Reply #132 on: 21 Jul 2014, 11:02 am »
Greetings Guy 13  :D

Great question and sounds like a very good idea for a thread :thumb:

My Gothic music collection has been listened too quite a few times, in its entirety. As for the mainstream side of the collection, I find I tend to listen to specific tracks instead of the complete CD so I would say that a very large percentage of these albums have not been listened too first track to last. You must also take into consideration that I only started actively purchasing mainstream music last year when I discovered $1.00 CD Tuesdays at our local Goodwill store. I did not want to spend $20.00 or so on a mainstream artist CD as I would much rather spent $20.00 on an alternative artist as I would listen to it more. Before this, my mainstream collection was only a couple of hundred CDs and very seldom saw the light of day, or perhaps better stated "the darkness of my room."   I have many cd records that sit with little play time. These are the classical and new age pieces that I have outgrown but I love knowing they're on the shelf  waiting.......great job  Laundrew.

This is why I elected to have my mainstream music located outside of my room. I do however,  have a few favourite mainstream CDs in my room, for example, Black Sabbath, Ozzy & Rush - I could not begin to guess how many times I have listened too 2112  :D As for record albums, I have 200 or so that have never been listened too - no TT as of yet.

You can see by the screen shots below some of my stats, which are mostly a product of my daily commute and when you include the time I sit in front of my audio gear - the numbers are huge for CD "consumption" on the Gothic side of the house. Thanks again for your question Guy 13 :D

"Alternate..."

Mainstream...

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #133 on: 27 Sep 2014, 05:28 pm »

The horror of my CD storage issues are now fortunately, a thing of the past - for now. With the recent completion of my mainstream CD rack located in a nearby room, all of my music is now readily available and sorted in alphabetical order, oh the sweet, delectable joy. Now I have a firmer number for storage as the new black rack currently holds 1320 CDs with a capacity of 1815 CDs. My alternative music CD storage in my room has a capacity of 1300 CDs giving a combined total space for 3115 CDs for both racks.

Most likely I will start construction again and add another rack to my mainstream music rack, converting it into an "L" shaped storage shelf adding another 1210 spaces for CDs for a total storage space of 4325 CDs.

An unexpected bonus of mounting the mainstream music rack on the floor instead of the wall will allow ample space for most of my books to sit on top of the rack.

Thanks to all who offered excellent suggestions to help me complete this little project  :thumb:

Be well...

The last phase of the CD storage solution is now complete with the addition of an "L" shaped wing onto the existing CD shelf. Looking back, I should of constructed both at the same time as it would of been quicker milling and cutting the wood all in one shot. The new rack is for female singers, classical, jazz/blues, movie and other compilations, for example 70s, 80s and so on. It is awesome being able to instantly locate a particular CD when needed - I also plan to organize the bands CDs in chronological order when I get bored enough to do this. A small header was added onto the top of both shelves to add more storage for other items.

Lady Laundrew has moved her CD collection to the mainstream side of the rack, second row from the bottom and now we can get rid of the two small CD shelves from upstairs.

The racks have a remaining storage capacity for over 1000 CDs so this should suffice for the foreseeable future. I just ordered my phono pre-amplifier last week so this should be very interesting to see how my CD purchases are affected by vinyl. Currently looking at a few interesting ideas for stealthy vinyl storage in my room - the same philosophy will apply for vinyl, Gothic music will be stored in my room while mainstream music will be located in another area of the house in the Ikea specials.

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #134 on: 20 Mar 2015, 03:35 pm »
Always enjoy looking at how other individuals solve their music storage issues.

Be well...

Phil A

« Reply #135 on: 20 Mar 2015, 04:45 pm »
Wow - looks like a public library!

Guy 13

« Reply #136 on: 21 Mar 2015, 12:13 am »
Hi all,
with so many CDs,
I guess you could listen to (Only) one CD everyday
for the rest of your life.

Guy 13

Laundrew

« Reply #137 on: 21 Mar 2015, 01:12 am »
Hi all,
with so many CDs,
I guess you could listen to (Only) one CD everyday
for the rest of your life.

Guy 13

Almost 9 years for me, not taking into consideration my very meek vinyl collection  :D

Be well...

Bill310

« Reply #138 on: 25 Aug 2015, 12:35 am »
The university( UBC) has even more stuff now . They were given a stock of dvd's from a defunct movie rental place . :shake:

It was a 1.7 Million Dollar donation  to UBC

An exceptional film collection valued at $1.7 million will be housed and preserved by the University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University.

Videomatica – a long-loved video rental store that opened in 1983 and specialized in rare and esoteric titles – is donating the bulk of 28,000 DVDs, 4,000 VHS titles and 900 Blu-rays to UBC. The collection will be housed at UBC Library with more than 5,000 duplicates available at UBC’s Dept. of Theatre and Film. SFU receives about 2,800 documentaries from the collection.

Full article here

http://news.ubc.ca/2012/01/16/ubc-and-sfu-welcome-1-7m-videomatica-film-collection/