What are the latest company updates for Vapor Audio?

JP78

Hello,

I've been interested in some pearl white Vapors for awhile and haven't been following updates. Can you please advise on where the company is today?

Thanks!

Phil A

Re: What are the latest company updates for Vapor Audio?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2019, 03:06 pm »
No idea - all I can find online is - https://www.bbb.org/us/mo/house-springs/profile/audio-visual-equipment/vapor-audio-0734-310593437    Other than that it seems quiet of recent times.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2019, 03:36 pm »
I heard it through the grapevine that Ryan is quietly (and slowly) finishing up the order backlog. Funny that nobody has posted pictures if they have received speakers recently.

Ryan still has my deposit and I have not heard directly from him since Sep 2016.

Pete continues to answer my brief and infrequent emails which is nice.

decal

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2019, 08:15 pm »
I heard it through the grapevine that Ryan is quietly (and slowly) finishing up the order backlog. Funny that nobody has posted pictures if they have received speakers recently.

Ryan still has my deposit and I have not heard directly from him since Sep 2016.

Pete continues to answer my brief and infrequent emails which is nice.

You my friend, have the patience of a saint. No way in hell could I tolerate that wait.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2019, 08:57 pm »
You my friend, have the patience of a saint. No way in hell could I tolerate that wait.

I agree.  People tell me I have a lot of patience but that is above and beyond.

csmgolf

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2019, 09:54 pm »
Huge waits were the norm with this company. Some much longer than others. I waited over 3 years for a satisfactorily finished pair of speakers.

spreadspectrum

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2019, 11:34 pm »
It is a shame, because I really like the Vapor guys on a personal level, and I like their product.  But if the customer service part of the business doesn't make a 180, it's done.

In my audio journey, I have also discovered Funk Audio.  For those interested in top quality subwoofing, I recommend checking them out.  You'll see many similarities between the two companies, but Nathan Funk answers emails and sticks to his quoted build times.  I get the sense he is successful - and my point is, Vapor can absolutely succeed, but not with the current business model.

I wish them luck.

mav52

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2019, 11:53 pm »
I had them build me a pair of custom Breezes for my office.  The speaker sounds great ( I even sold my LS50 and Fritz Carbon SE) but customer service was marginal.    With a good product you really need outstanding customer service.  Maybe we will never know the whole story.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2019, 03:16 pm by mav52 »

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2019, 12:45 am »
Huge waits were the norm with this company. Some much longer than others. I waited over 3 years for a satisfactorily finished pair of speakers.

3 years? Seems like they are living up (or down) to their name......

GentleBender

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2019, 01:15 am »
I got a pair of demo Auroras and couldn’t be happier. They sound so good paired with an Odyssey Cyclops and Suspiro Phono and am not in any search for a replacement. I did have an issue with a woofer on one after a few years, but Ed and Pete were super quick to get me a new one and help walk me through replacement. I wish them the best! Their support was top notch.

We all make choices in this life and sometimes bad things happen to good people. Some folks seem quick to kick people when they are down, let’s not be like that. If you are still waiting for a set of speakers, I’m sure there are better ways of handling this. Put yourself in someone’s shoes, I can’t even think of where I’d be in the same circumstances. :|
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2019, 09:58 am by GentleBender »

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2019, 01:27 pm »
Ed and Pete were super quick to get me a new one and help walk me through replacement. I wish them the best! Their support was top notch.

... sometimes bad things happen to good people. Some folks seem quick to kick people when they are down, let’s not be like that.

Amen, GB, Amen, and nicely said.
I put my Tuonares and Stiff Breeze back in rotation just yesterday, temporarily replacing the big Spendors. (In my soul, I’m a British guy.) Vapor makes very, very good, and very special, musical speakers. I understand the frustration for those experiencing extended wait times. Hang in there. My hope is that Vapor will find solid footing soon.

Cheers,
Lester

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2019, 06:13 pm »
Some folks seem quick to kick people when they are down, let’s not be like that. If you are still waiting for a set of speakers, I’m sure there are better ways of handling this. Put yourself in someone’s shoes, I can’t even think of where I’d be in the same circumstances. :|

Well GB, I've always been happy for you on your Aurora purchase.

In terms of your post, the OP asked for an update and I matter of factly shared what I know with zero malice intended. I'm certainly not kicking Ryan when he's down and in fact I hope he gets his life together and is able to move on.

After nearly 4 years of waiting (my order was placed 1 April 2015), I simply hope to get my deposit back someday.

spreadspectrum

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2019, 06:45 pm »
I have mixed feelings on continuing to post on this topic, as I have no real company updates but also feel that the opinions here are relevant and important for the guys at Vapor to hear.

I don't believe that anyone in the above posts is denigrating Ryan, Pete, or Ed.  I would reiterate that I am pulling for all of them and wish for them to succeed - their product, personalities, and know-how have, at one point, made me want to spend more money on their stuff.  But business is a cold and sometimes cruel mistress.  It's just not doable to ignore customers phone calls and emails, or to withold a refund for an unfinished product as in Todd's case. 

In other words, none of this is necessarily personal.  However, it is getting difficult to escape the gravity of what has been a negative trend.  I say again: I want Vapor to succeed, and would go out of my way to help and support them if I could.  My opinion on the outlook for the company, however, is not as warm and fuzzy as it once was. 

GentleBender

« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2019, 02:00 pm »
I didn’t mention names in my response, it certainly wasn’t aimed at you toddc2. There are certain people who seem to enjoy posting short negative responses with no real value to the thread. I hope you get the chance to hear and see the speakers you ordered.

harley52

« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2019, 07:45 pm »
Wow, had no idea Vapor is in troubled times, but then I don't keep up with the latest word with Vapor. I had purchased some Aurora's over five years ago and was very disappointed with the paint job and paid $500 extra for the 3 step job. I've never said anything about this to anyone other than Vapor and Danny the owner of GR. Ed offered to make it right though and I didn't want to have him putting more work into very under priced speakers. I screwed up by not pursuing the issue. My bad. I didn't want to put a stain on Vapor's record. I wanted the company to make it and I knew my issue may turn a possible buyer off from purchasing a Vapor product. Yea, I know I didn't do possible buyers the right way.

I don't know what their problem is. I do know I had told them ump-teen times their prices were excessively low. I mean to get the Auroras at $3k w/o the paint upgrade was insane pricing. I see now the price is at $5k which is imo the price the speakers should have been when I bought mine. About a year later my whole system along with stuff I wasn't using was stolen, but the insurance company covered all of it at close to retail price. I had an $18k limit on my policy and that's what they paid me and they waived the deductible, don't know why but, they did. The one thing I have tried to recover were the Aurora's. I have had a couple leads but, they didn't pan out.

I still hope Vapor gets through whatever the problem is. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

spreadspectrum

« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2019, 08:24 pm »
I think most know about Ryan's personal loss, and things of that nature can kill a small company.  That as well as the silence from them over the last few years has had me worried, leading to comments above.

I think it relevant to therefore state here that I have just had an e-mail and text conversation with him, and he sounds very positive.  I will not spoil anything here, but I believe that things are going to get back on track - and that is good news.  Keep your eyes peeled for news.

HT cOz

« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2019, 05:43 am »
I think most know about Ryan's personal loss, and things of that nature can kill a small company.  That as well as the silence from them over the last few years has had me worried, leading to comments above.

I think it relevant to therefore state here that I have just had an e-mail and text conversation with him, and he sounds very positive.  I will not spoil anything here, but I believe that things are going to get back on track - and that is good news.  Keep your eyes peeled for news.

That’s great news and I’ve always been a quiet admirer.  In fact without Vapor, I would have never started my current DIY project.  I can confirm a lot of effort goes into these types of speakers.

spreadspectrum

« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2019, 01:37 pm »
That’s great news and I’ve always been a quiet admirer.  In fact without Vapor, I would have never started my current DIY project.  I can confirm a lot of effort goes into these types of speakers.

I have been quietly admiring your build log over on the Selah circle...very impressive. Can't wait to see the finished item!

pconley2

« Reply #18 on: 17 Feb 2019, 07:29 pm »
Like SpreadSpectrum, I use my Vapor Joules as my avatar on AudioCircle. Without the Circle I would never have heard of Vapor nor would I have been warned going in about what some of the challenges might be.  However, knowing about the possible challenges, I went ahead and ordered my Joules without having ever even heard a Vapor speaker.  Yes the speakers needed a touch up and yes, Ryan was behind in his delivery but, and this is a very big but, no one who sees my speakers, or more importantly, who hears my speakers isn't impressed, if not astonished.
I have had industry members who have heard my speakers asked me if I would allow them to test some of their upcoming product designs using the Vapor Joules as a test bed.
If SpreadSpectrum is correct and good news about Ryan may be coming soon, I truly hope so.  I have nothing but the best to say about his work ethic and his attention to detail and I truly wish Ryan, Pete, Ed and anyone else involved in the Vapor family the very best in the future and I hope others get the chance to hear his/their speakers.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #19 on: 17 Feb 2019, 07:54 pm »
Ah man, I wish nothing but the best for Ryan and the guys at Vapor to make a come back. I can still hear in my head that pair of Nimbus that I was able to sit in front of back at RMAF in 2015, really awesome. I bought a pair of used Cirrus Blacks from csmgolf a few years back and still have them and love them, great speakers. Always thought Ryan was on the verge of something big, seeing how his first ten years building speakers yielded some incredible performers I thought his next ten years would be even greater. Time will tell I guess.