BDP-2 Digital Player

vklyushnikov

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #920 on: 1 May 2015, 07:30 pm »
This issue is noticeable on tracks without enough silence at beginning - for example first song from Led Zeppelin I hires reissue. And Chris has some sample wavs that I sent to him. It would be great if you check them on new card.

Rod_S

« Reply #921 on: 1 May 2015, 07:54 pm »
I have a connectivity question. I completely forgot that the BDP-2 doesn't have a toslink out and I currently don't have ether a BNC SPDIF cable or a AES/EBU cable. I have some BNC to RCA adapters I used to use for my component video cables. Can these be used to connect to my RCA SPDIF cable and if so will that cause any degradation to the signal transmission?

srb

« Reply #922 on: 1 May 2015, 08:51 pm »
I have some BNC to RCA adapters I used to use for my component video cables. Can these be used to connect to my RCA SPDIF cable and if so will that cause any degradation to the signal transmission?

Of course no adapter is always technically better, but I think it's less of a problem than using an RCA cable that isn't 75 ohms.  While there's no shortage of 75 ohm cable, I don't think any RCA connectors are true 75 ohm.

Canare makes a "75 ohm" coaxial crimp connector that comes closer than many others, but I think it's a physics thing - the RCA coaxial dimensions just aren't big enough to maintain the 75 ohm impedance.  It's really a shame that RCA became the standard for consumer video and coaxial S/PDIF, while most all professional and prosumer equipment uses BNC for both.

So I think it's likely you won't discern a difference between using the adapter with an RCA cable versus having a RCA to BNC cable.

Steve

Phil A

« Reply #923 on: 1 May 2015, 08:58 pm »
+1 on the above.  Been using Canare for video for years and also when I make coax digital cables.

Rod_S

« Reply #924 on: 1 May 2015, 10:37 pm »
Of course no adapter is always technically better, but I think it's less of a problem than using an RCA cable that isn't 75 ohms.  While there's no shortage of 75 ohm cable, I don't think any RCA connectors are true 75 ohm.

Canare makes a "75 ohm" coaxial crimp connector that comes closer than many others, but I think it's a physics thing - the RCA coaxial dimensions just aren't big enough to maintain the 75 ohm impedance.  It's really a shame that RCA became the standard for consumer video and coaxial S/PDIF, while most all professional and prosumer equipment uses BNC for both.

So I think it's likely you won't discern a difference between using the adapter with an RCA cable versus having a RCA to BNC cable.

Steve

Thanks

This would be a stop gap solution so not permanent but it would buy me some time until I can get the Siltech Golden Ridge II AES/EBU I was thinking about. If doing the BNC adapter thing was simply not going to work then I would have had to move the AES/EBU purchase to be 1st before the BDP-2.

ozzy

« Reply #925 on: 1 May 2015, 11:23 pm »
If I'm using the USB out to I need to upgrade?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #926 on: 2 May 2015, 01:07 am »
If I'm using the USB out to I need to upgrade?

NO - USB out bypasses the card.

james

MoPac

« Reply #927 on: 2 May 2015, 04:16 pm »
 Has anyone tried the BDP-2 with the Ayre QB9DSD?

Thanks, Rich

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #928 on: 5 May 2015, 05:35 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Announcing Bryston Integrated Audio Device Card

May, 2015

Hi Folks,

We have been working on a Bryston proprietary “Integrated Audio Device” card with much improved specifications to replace the current two-piece ‘Soundcard’ and ‘SPDIF interface module’ (AES/BNC) utilized in our current BDP-2 Digital Player.

I am happy to report that an all new integrated version of the BDP-2 audio card is now going into production and should be available in a few weeks from now.

All BDP-2’s currently on order will be fitted with the new Bryston integrated audio card.

BENEFITS:

•   No reliance on the quality level of third party products or having to modify said products

•   Improve the performance by hand selecting and testing all the components in house

•   Eliminates 3 connection points

•   Integrates the output module and the sound processing section into one circuit instead of two.

•   The Bryston audio device is directly powered by the high quality linear power supply rather than the motherboard.

Any current BDP-2 owners may have their units upgraded if desired.

James Tanner
Bryston

bjski

« Reply #929 on: 12 May 2015, 03:17 am »
James are you going to let us know when we can update? Did you find out if there is any chance we can do the upgrade ourselves?
Cheers,
BJ Hammell

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #930 on: 12 May 2015, 06:42 am »

...so the ESI Juli@ did a good job  :thumb: - but now it's time to say goodbye :cry:

al.

Marius

« Reply #931 on: 12 May 2015, 11:19 am »
HI James,

Sounds exciting. Do you have any measurements to substantiate the 'much improved specifications'? other than theoretical improvement, is there any evidence in the Demo, which is everything ;-) ?

Might be the clincher to go from BDP1 to BDP2 after all.

cheers,
Marius

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Announcing Bryston Integrated Audio Device Card

May, 2015

Hi Folks,

We have been working on a Bryston proprietary “Integrated Audio Device” card with much improved specifications to replace the current two-piece ‘Soundcard’ and ‘SPDIF interface module’ (AES/BNC) utilized in our current BDP-2 Digital Player.

I am happy to report that an all new integrated version of the BDP-2 audio card is now going into production and should be available in a few weeks from now.

All BDP-2’s currently on order will be fitted with the new Bryston integrated audio card.

BENEFITS:

•   No reliance on the quality level of third party products or having to modify said products

•   Improve the performance by hand selecting and testing all the components in house

•   Eliminates 3 connection points

•   Integrates the output module and the sound processing section into one circuit instead of two.

•   The Bryston audio device is directly powered by the high quality linear power supply rather than the motherboard.

Any current BDP-2 owners may have their units upgraded if desired.

James Tanner
Bryston

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #932 on: 12 May 2015, 12:55 pm »
Hi Marius

Ultimately you have to listen to it for yourself as theoretical advantages do not always translate to perceivable results but I am happy with the sound I have at home and the practical aspects of not having to rely on third parties (and the issues that involves  :duh:) really makes my day easier  :thumb:

Will try to get you some shots of the measurements soon.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #933 on: 12 May 2015, 01:36 pm »
How long are the power cords on the BDP-2's? My BDP-2 will be sitting on the top shelf of my rack so that makes it a fair distance from my power conditioner.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #934 on: 12 May 2015, 02:28 pm »
How long are the power cords on the BDP-2's? My BDP-2 will be sitting on the top shelf of my rack so that makes it a fair distance from my power conditioner.

Hi Rod,

I believe 8 feet and 6 feet cords are available.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #935 on: 12 May 2015, 02:42 pm »
Ah that's excellent, thanks James.

Roberto135

« Reply #936 on: 12 May 2015, 08:25 pm »
Hi James,
is it a simple ugrade to do? Or BDP-2 must be sent to Bryston?

Roberto

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #937 on: 12 May 2015, 09:33 pm »
Hi James,
is it a simple ugrade to do? Or BDP-2 must be sent to Bryston?

Roberto

I would say a competent technician can do it.

james

vklyushnikov

« Reply #938 on: 13 May 2015, 11:06 am »

james
Could Bryston provide a video instruction for card replacement? Such instruction was very helpful for installing internal SSD.

Roberto135

« Reply #939 on: 13 May 2015, 03:16 pm »

james

Yes, a video may be helpful.
When Audio Device Card becomes available, it will be shipped from Bryston directly to us, or we will have to order it from the distributor?